“just ok”

Ranked #122 of 186 Mirissa B&B and Inns
uk
“just ok”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

we stayed here for 4 nights in January good and bad points it is in a good position right on the beach we had one of the top floor rooms so the noise from the restaurant wasn't quite as bad as it was on lower floors we wore earplugs
The room was nice although the walls and floor was still plaster I think this was the look a nice balcony looking to the beach we could also lay in bed in the morning with door and shutters open and hear the sea which was fab
Our room was never cleaned the whole time we were there and we had to keep asking for fresh towels which weren't always available the service at this hotel and restaurant was terrible as others have said.
There are sunbeds on the beach but maybe look elsewhere as it took nearly 45 mins for them to bring over a mango juice that I ordered they had forgotten even though there were only 2 other people there at the time and all the staff stand around smoking and chatting
They then put on music from the large speakers so no chance to relax and hear the sea just distorted music
They also tried to really over charge us for laundry and they didn't seem to care when we told them our problem we just gave them the money that was quoted to us when we gave our bag and they said the receptionist would have to make up the rest unsure if this was true don't trust them
We did enjoy our stay here and at mirissa but unsure if we would come back there were other places to stay

Room Tip: ask for room on the higher floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank airmiles1

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We were planning to stay here for five nights, but decided after the first night that it wasn't the place for us, and moved on. There were two main issues. Firstly, the night that we stayed there was loud music coming from Wadiya's restaurant until about 3 in the morning - this wasn't really what we had expected (or wanted) of our stay in Mirissa. Secondly, we found the service veered between haphazard and rude: there didn't seem to be anyone in charge of the guesthouse (the mysterious Asanka was spoken of but never seen), and the restaurant was pretty chaotic - food took a very long time to come. On the plus side, the location is fine, and the food, when it did arrive, was good. The room was fine - clean and spacious, though a bit grim with its concrete walls. And when we decided to move on, we were refunded the deposit we had paid when we booked - we didn't expect this, and it was much appreciated.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Mirissa hotels

Emsworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We had stayed initially in this hotel during October, 2013 in the off season. While the rooms were very spartan (a bed and shelves for clothes), it was clean. Breakfast was a mess and they could never get it right. Nightime, the music blared until the early hours of the morning. However, the staff were friendly and cheerful and won us over. It has a lovely location.
We booked again for the end of January, 2014. Why you may ask? Since we were on a limited budget and we knew what to expect, we accepted the failings. When I confirmed a few days beforehand, I found that the rooms had not only gone up in price, but had been given away. This left us stranded in a busy area at a busy time. The manager, Asanka, was not interested in discussing, or recommending an alternative. We were abruptly dismissed without explanation, even though they had either made a mistake, or intentionally given our rooms away because they could get a better price.
I strongly suggest to avoid staying at this hotel, especially in peak season, particularly if you are travelling a distance. They clearly cannot be trusted.
If you want to take the booking risk, like many hotels in the area, it is a cheap, basic hotel - remember, being on the beach means noisy evenings. However, there are nicer hotels that can be trusted.

Room Tip: I strongly suggest to avoid staying at this hotel, especially in peak season, particularly if you ar...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night in the apartment on the top floor, it was ok, nice view, could have had som nicer furnitures. Wifi dident work from time to time.The restaurang was nice but very full, But in the end a good place to stay at.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed here for our first night in Mirissa, it was ok but having talked to other guest house owners near by it is pretty expensive. My advice would be that its ok if there is no wear else but you can get just as good accommodation in the area for around 1/3 the price. I would also advise not booking online as you will be charged more than if you turn up and book.

Room Tip: Higher up rooms would be nicer.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Novi Sad, Serbia
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Beautiful clean room with an ocean view right on the beach and great food per reasonable prices! There is a fresh fish selection every night in the restaurant! Desman, the manager, really takes care of his guests, he will arrange whatever you need!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stanislava S
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Agreed with BopperX that the room was probably the (only) good thing about this guesthouse. On the first night, we decided to have dinner at its restaurant/bar. We ordered 1 grilled fish and 1 seafood roti plus some cocktails. The drinks came quickly, followed by the fish quite awhile later. After finishing the fish, the roti was still nowhere to be seen and I asked to the waiter. He said it was coming. After another 20mins or so, I asked the same waiter again and he went to the kitchen and the roti came back with him. So it must have been sitting there waiting to be served! Also, during the course of our dinner, some of the staff asked me for cigarettes and one even asked me if I wanted to buy marijuana! We never ate there again for our next 2 dinners in Mirissa. However, we were very puzzled by the big crowd at dinner time at this place. Perhaps people were being fed with "happy stuff". LOL.

Next, we asked for recommendation on a nice place for massage and after being told of "Badora" (or something like that), I decided to look up the internet for more options. Tripadvisor came up with another good recommendation, the Secret Garden which was nearby. In fact this place was a bit cheaper than the one recommended, but to our disgust, the so-called PR guy, Desmond, became annoyed and started talking to me in a rude & defensive manner as I decided to go elsewhere.

The ultimatum was on the day we were checking out. I had made a mistake by leaving a bundle of dollars in a pouch inside a backpack, which I had left in the room on the last evening of our stay. I clearly remembered that I checked the bundle that morning, and there was $352. Just before we checked out, I checked it again and to my horror, only SGD130 was left! I immediately told the receptionist of this and she just brushed it off by saying that I was holding the only key to the room. I told it to her face "Do not lie to me, as all hotels have master keys". No offer of apology or acknowledgement that the matter would be investigated. There is also no CCTV in this guesthouse. Yes, I made a mistake in the first place by letting my guard down, but this kind of response and attitude is totally disgusting. Huge disgrace to the otherwise friendly and warm-hearted Sri Lankans we have met during our trip.

Oh if you are an early person, this will be another "X" for you not to stay at this place. On the last day, we had wanted to leave at 9AM, so we went down for breakfast by 8AM. The workers looked like they had just woken up, and only begun to set-up the tables for breakfast service. We could see our next-door neighbours were already enjoying their breakfast! FYI, breakfast only came at 830AM.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends