“A complete rip-off !!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 134 Specialty Lodging in Mirissa
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“A complete rip-off !!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

Bandhusena might be very good when it first started, but it is now engulfed by greed.

Upon arrival, we were surprise to see Bandhusena infested with flies. There were stains and rice on the floor and it felt sticky. The apartment was even more disappointing. It was actually converted from a garage and was very stuffy and hot. The curtain was semi-transparent – someone standing at the garden can actually see through the apartment. There was no hot water in the bathroom – inconvenient for elder people and young children. There were flies in the room and we even found strips of noodle in the bathroom.

Dulcy was very eager to help us plan our holidays. In fact, too eager! She wanted to help us on everything, from whale-watching, tuk-tuk to Galle (return), catamaran lake safari so on so forth. We bought 4 tickets for whale-watching and paid her RM6000 each, in total RM24000. Then we took the kids to the beach.

At the beach, a guy standing behind a whale-watching booth approached us. I noticed he was selling for the same company (Whale Explorer) that we had just booked with Dulcy. He was selling the tickets at 3000 rupees per person, and free for kids below 6! That was the shock of my life. I was charged 6000 rupees for a 3000 rupees ticket from someone whom we TRUSTED - Dulcy and Damit from Bandhusena!!!

I tried to calm down and further questioning him about the service he offered, whether there were two kinds of tickets, with different sizes of boat and security measures, etc. He said no, only one kind of ticket they were selling, and kids are free! On my way home, I approached another tour operator (Happy Tour), and even contacted the Whale Explorer myself and the same answers were given.

The following morning, at the Whale Explorer’s boat, two Chinese girls confirmed they bought the tickets with only 3000 rupees each.

We moved out of Bandhusena after returning from the whale watching. At first Dulcy played innocent stating she had never heard about the 3000 rupees ticket. She claimed that all her previous guests paid 6000 rupees and they never complained like I did. Then she tried to justify it was because we were taking a ‘bigger boat’, and asked us to deal with whale explorer directly if we were not happy with her answer (that was irresponsible!) Of course, no refund was given.

No doubt, she seems so caring and attentive. No doubt, she has a respectable job. But she will rip you off whenever she can, in any way.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank BelyeNochi

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Hungarian first
Reykjavik, Iceland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

This was deffinetly one of the best homestay I have stayed at during my travels. I arrived with the train from Colombo and Dulcy and her family were waiting for me with their private car. The pick up was complimentary and nice to get a warm welcome when arriving in Mirissa. The rooms are clean and very good value with wifi.

Location is very good as it doesnt feel touristy at all. Its 5 minutes walk the most incredible romantic beach where one can snorke in a colorful reef. Dulcy made me delicious breakfast and dinner. She truely has a good touch for tasty food and the portions were big thus good value.
Dont miss eating at her place, its far better then at the beach restaurants and alot better price.

I met few other travellers and shared really good time with them. We got Dulcys husband to drive us to a rainforest 2 hours away. It was a great daytrip and we saw lots of beautiful animals and had a swim in a waterfall. Highly recommended if you want to take a break from the beach.

I really hope I can come again some day and will deffinetly stay at their place. After travelling for 3 months, it was good to meet such a warming family and I just felt like I was home. Highly recommended.

The only thing that was negative was that she made me deserts during dinner although I didn´t ask for it. I was a bit disappointed that she added it to my bill when checking out.
In spited of that, the desert was delicious so not a big minus :D

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

We ended out staying here for four nights, it was a lovely experience. The owners are extremely friendly and eager to please, they picked us up from the train station which was a very nice touch. We stayed in the apartment room for a very good rate of 2000 per night, the room had everything you need, was very clean and spacious. The location was good - close enough to the beach but faraway enough from the crowds.
We met a lot of very nice other travellers here, so had a slight back packer feel for us which was good for sharing trips with.
We would recommend getting the dinner here at least one night, true Sri Lankan food which was very tasty. Ask for it spicy if you like it like that otherwise its quite mild.
I think this place would really benefit from offering snorkelling gear.
When we received the bill it was slightly more than expected, and realised we had been charged for our welcome drinks and dessert we hadn't asked for, left us feeling slightly miffed.
All in all a really nice stay with a friendly family, highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Damith and Dulcy offer what I would characterize as a "home stay." You are essentially living with the family while you are there so it does limit your privacy somewhat. They have a room with its own entrance and lock and key off their porch that I was given for 1500lkr/night. It was clean, with a fan and a fresh towel was provided. Unfortunately, it does not have its own bathroom and I had to use the bathroom in the main house. As a positive there is a door from outside the bathroom that you can use rather than traipsing through the house. As a negative, the bathroom could have been cleaner and had a really bad ant problem.

They also offer a one room apartment in a separate building on their property. Their guests had vacated the apartment after the first night so Dulcy and Damith let me move into the apartment for the same price as the room so that I could have my own bathroom. They were aware that I was travelling long-term and on a cheap budget. I was very appreciative of that. The apartment has 3 double beds and fans. The bathroom in the apartment was much cleaner and free of ants which I liked. I did run into some cockroaches in the middle of the night, but that's the tropics for you.

Dulcy is an amazing cook and you can have all your meals there if you like. She charges 250lkr for breakfast and 350lkr for lunch and dinner. Drinks, desert and fruit are extra costs. Her food was by far cheaper and much better than any other food I had in Mirissa. The food at the restaurants on the beach was especially awful and expensive in comparison. Highly recommend eating Dulcy's food and just having drinks on the beach if you want the ambiance.

The only negative (other than the ants in the bathroom) was that on my first day there was some kind of Buddhist ceremony conducted across the street under a Bodhi tree. It was broadcasted on a loudspeaker for a few hours and was horrendously loud. Apparently the ceremony only happens once per month and I just happened to be "lucky" that it was during my stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

We are a danish family with two children, aged 5 and 8, and lived in the apartment for 11 days. The apartment is nice and simple with 3 beds, 3 fans and a small toilet and shower. It is very good value for the money and Mirissa beach only 5 minutes away is just perfect.
But the best of all is the family who runs the place. Dulcy and Damid did everything they could to make us feel at home. They arranged all our trips; safari in Sinharaja rain forest, whale watching, lagoon trip, visit at Galle and safari in Yalla. All perfect. And if you add Dulcy's excellent cooking skills in the traditional Sri Lanka cuisine (my son wants me to mention her delicious Dal), well, what more can you ask for? Just the perfect place.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

I stayed in this place for a couple of days and I loved it. Dulcy and damidh were really nice with me all the time, the place is clean, private, quiet and really cheap compared with other guest houses in mirissa. By the way Dulcys coffee was the best that I could get in Sri Lanka, I hope to come back soon and stay there again!

• Stayed January 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

When we arrived in Mirissa we were walking in the heat with our bags checking prices of guesthouses around. The owners of this one drove past us and told us about their guesthouse and were kind enough to drive us to it. It was very affordable which is essential as budget backpackers. The place was clean and safe and in a quiet street just off the main road.
The owners were very lovely and very good English. Highly recommend this place in Mirissa! They have plans to increase the facilities available to their guests

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends