“Hidden paradise in Mirissa”
Review of Number ONE Mirissa

Number ONE Mirissa
Ranked #17 of 185 Mirissa B&B and Inns
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Hidden paradise in Mirissa”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I highly recommend Number One Mirissa, very private place with a panoramic view of the ocean, pleasant staff, clean rooms.

Cafes and restaurants are in close proximity, just few minutes away. Hotel has it's own transportation and can organize for you a trip to any of the sightseeing in Sri Lanka.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Due to our mistake when booking our stay was made for Oct instead of Nov and this only came to light after the Oct dates had passed. We contacted the hotel via the on-line booking agency to attempt to re-arrange for the correct dates but the hotel was very firm in its response that we would need to make a separate reservation and lose our original payment. Whilst the hotel is within the letter of its rights to do this the response was disappoing for us and suggested a very rigid unwillingness to address customer need; any form of concession towards the difficult situation would have been appreciates. We wil rebook elsewhere. We would like to record the helpful approach of the staff at agoda - the on-line booking agent

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Walton-On-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had a fantastic stay, the staff went out of their way to make us feel special on our trip. We wished we stayed longer - it was probably our favourite place we stayed in all our trip. On arrival and departure we had warm reception - little touches like free bottles of water when we were leaving were greatly appreciated and sorting out a fairly priced tuk tuk for us.

The restaurant/bar staff were brilliant, even re-opening the bar for us so that we could have a final drink on our terrace was outstanding service. The cleaners cleaned the room twice a day and left nice touches on the bed such as fresh flowers, etc.

The room was perfect - lovely comfortable bed, good mosquito nets, strong air conditioning, safe. Beach towels and beach bag. Pleasant terrace with hammock and beautiful sea views. The waves crashing outside the room was wonderful.

Breakfast was really good - they had marmite and peanut butter to my girlfriend's delight. We also had dinner there one night and that was delicious with a very good selection of wines.

They also provide free body / surf boards which was a nice surprise and so much fun. They offered to upgrade our room but we were more than happy with the one we were in.

Would definitely recommend this place and would love to stay here again. Lived up to its name.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This truly is an amazing place beside the Indian ocean with excellent rooms and wonderful food plus supreme service. Generally their service is second to none. We didn't want to leave. I don't want to write big story about this. We will be back soon.

Room Tip: Ground floor with hammock is the best
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed at the numberone in August 2013. We are a family of four with two kids 12 and 8 years old and we stayed in family room. The room was very comfortable and more than enough for our family. Overlooking sea and you will wake in the morning with beautiful sun rise and sound of the sea. Before we had food with them we had a discussion with chef and he gave us fantastic meals every day. The Manager and his team gave us memorable stay from everything. Missing the place lot. Will definitely come bak.

Room Tip: Family room best for the families with children
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Number One was recommended to me by a friend. We stayed there three nights at the end of our 12 day trip in Sri Lanka. I need to say at the outset that my husband and I are largely used to staying at 4-5 star hotels and we did this for the majority of time on our holiday. Our holiday was booked very last minute so I didn't have time to do a lot of research. After the booking was made by our agent at my request, I did look at a couple of reviews which seemed a bit mixed ... and I started to wonder if I had done the right thing. Was my idea of it being a great place the same as my friend's?

When we arrived, I will be honest and say that I was a little disappointed... however this is not as much of a reflection on Number One as it is on myself and my expectations. I would describe Number One as rustic 3 - maybe 4 star accommodation (4 star for service) but keep in mind it is 'boutique'. We were in a ground floor suite and greeted by very warm and friendly staff. Our room was generally well appointed and furnished (bed was very high as one reviewer had mentioned) but was no issue to us. There was only one loose sheet on the bed (another reviewer didn't like that) but to be honest while it seemed a bit unusual at the time, the linen was a very high quality and we slept really well. The bathroom was clean but the workmanship/ finishes were a bit rough. One thing that was odd was that there was a safe but it wasn't bolted down so it could easily be lifted and removed from the room.

Our room faced directly out to the ocean which was beautiful with two comfy chairs and a hammock. The garden and common areas were quite rustic but neat and tidy.

After my initial disappointment I started to realise what Number One offers what many 4-5 star hotels don't... the personal touch and familiarity with staff. With only 7 rooms, the experience can be as secluded or interactive as you like. We had dinner on our verandah for the three nights of our stay. The food was very good quality and the service/staff couldn't be faulted. Staff were always smiling, friendly and obliging. Each afternoon we had drinks either at the restaurant/deck overlooking the pool/ocean, or at our room, overlooking the ocean. Breakfast was a buffet at your table. Fruit, fresh juice, muslie and yoghurt, pancakes, eggs done your way, toast and condiments, tea and coffee etc. If anything, the service may have been a little too fast. A reviewer I recall complained about not having a buffet breakfast. For us this was a refreshing change to the myriad of buffet breakfasts we had on our trip, not to mention the amazing view. On our last morning we had to leave early. The staff offered to start the breakfast service 30 minutes earlier so we wouldn't have to rush and to make sure we could have a full breakfast before checking out.

I recall one reviewer didn't seem impressed with the pool. On initial inspection I can sort of understand that comment but in reality, how big would you expect a pool to be for a hotel that only has seven rooms and particularly when the accommodation is located so close to the beach. What we really liked was that it was salt water and the owner had said he had made this decision to be more environmentally friendly... we're all for that.

Scott, the owner, introduced himself to us on our second day and told us about the background to the hotel. We also watched how he had breakfast in the restaurant and the interaction he had with the guests as they came and went, families and couples - he seemed to have a nice rapport with them... including us. We really liked the personal touch... something you would not expect in larger hotels, only maybe smaller establishments.

On value for money, I'm not sure what rate we paid as we didn't pay directly, but I think part of what you pay for is the location, view and very personal service.

After a bit of a rocky start for me (again, no reflection on Number One), we really enjoyed our stay and to be honest were a bit sad to leave. The view is amazing (the beach a surfer's paradise... not that we surf but it made us think about learning), and the staff were fabulous.

If you're looking for glitzy, manicured and polished place to stay in Sri Lanka, then maybe Number One Marissa isn't for you. But if you are looking for comfortable and boutique accommodation with friendly staff who will go above and beyond, then this may be the place for you.

A few things of note. When we stayed in August, the sea was very rough (as I understand it always is at this time of year) and there was constant crashing of waves the entire time. Because it was so constant, it didn't affect our sleep. However, we noticed that the beach accommodation and bars a little further round the beachfront became very noisy with music sometime after 8pm each night. If it wasn't for the waves the music would potentially made sleep difficult (as I think one reviewer mentioned) but it effectively drowned the music out. I'm not sure what things would be like at other times of the year.

Room Tip: We stayed in a ground floor suite. This was good because it had easy access to common areas. Not s...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robyn M
Bordeaux, France
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We went all around the Sri Lanka with my wife during 2 weeks before we stopped here.
We were looking for a pleasant place where we could spend 3 days and relax : everything was perfect for us and so quiet (very few rooms - less than 8 - with a nice sea view infinity pool) !
There's very few places like that, so close to the sea that waves soothe you all night long.
The hotel also lends body boards or surfs (central beach for beginners, in front of the hotel for the experienced one - beware of the reef).
Food is fresh and quite good, and management and waiters so kind.
So much better than all others Sri Lankan hotels we went previously.

Room Tip: You might prefer suites upstairs if affordable.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple