“Well, let me feel the real Sri Lankan Hospitality, Madam?” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Spice House, Mirissa

The Spice House, Mirissa
Ranked #4 of 180 Mirissa B&B and Inns
Matara, Sri Lanka
“Well, let me feel the real Sri Lankan Hospitality, Madam?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Lady owner, Wathsala i guess her name is this.
well i am not a english fluent user but i need to speak this!
why did you tap me on my jaw with the bunch of bills (money)?
You are such a kind lady. But this could be a Major insult in my country.
well, please, lady tell me if i made you feel insulted even a little bit,
I would like to learn.
I know you would think that you can learn from this review.
why do i mention that it's an insult in "my country" while i am in Sri Lanka?
because i felt that you wanted to be a friend with me, or at least be friendly, you know.
because i am also asian so you might think that we can be friendly in such a casual way.
well i am thirty years old and you are much older than me, so i might have been rude to you in a way that i couldn't realize at the moment but now, i think back maybe i did something rude. Can you please let me know?
well let me complain a little bit here about Sri Lankan tourism or so, because i felt that you have a hospitality to listen to it.
they are, usually, the people who are in the tourism field, they are very aggressively friendly to me.
maybe i expected something different till now, but now i feel like i am understandng, after 6 months travelling as a solo woman, korean, in this Indian Subcontinent Region, that it's like that. That the people who are in the tourism field are aggressively friendly to me.
so I misunderstood that there will be less misunderstanding between Sri Lankan people and me than between Western people and me since we are somewhat so-called "Asian" people.
But actually, there were a lot of misunderstanding more than when i travelled Europe.
So maybe we better communicate each other beyond language, i guess. I tried to to it in somewhat my way, but then, they laugh at me saying "Do you know English?"
The room was fantastic.
The pool lovely, nice dog, an immediate response to some mess in my room which i appreciate highly, good atmosphere which explains the high price.
I rate this hotel poor because i know that won't degrade your high rank at all at the end,
Sorry, all this bad comments came from the instant feeling that i had when the madam tap me on my jaw with a bunch of bills for her to show her genuine friendliness (i mean it here).
So i don't know im not sure if i made my point with english here, anyway,
thank you.
i look forward to some reply.
....and the food service was nice which was 1100 rupees for a dinner.
I know that your main customer target (i don't know other correct word) is not Korean, Chinese nor Japanese.
So yes, let me know if you feel any bad feelings about my stay, as a minor tourist in this area, i wish to know.

Room Tip: Don't you ever forget to turn off the light when you go to bed ! (because otherwise there would...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank yuri j
thespicehouse, Owner at The Spice House, Mirissa, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Hi Yuri,
I quite literally have absolutely no idea what you are talking about & i am not going to apologise for my Wife's friendly and welcoming manner.
Our guests are very important to us & we enjoy being approachable & friendly with them and 99% of the time this is exactly what they want from us as well.Our guests choose to stay with us because they want to feel like they are at home amongst friends & not in a faceless hotel.
If you want to speak more about this please email me directly so we can discuss it privately because we like to think that we go out of our way to be good hosts and so to be marked down for it is a bit frustrating & slightly depressing.
Phil & Wathsala - Owners of The Spice House, Mirissa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

From the very first time we saw the website and pictures we had our hearts set on staying at the Spice House. It met our every expectation. Hosts Phil and Vathsala are warm, friendly and extremely helpful. They have done a great job of creating homely, comfortable experience. They live in the same premises and very evidently love their charming little property.

Beautiful beaches are a short walk away, but you may just be tempted to spend all your time lazing in the pool. We chose to have the in-house Sri Lankan dinner, which was cooked by a jolly old chef and served at a community table where we were able to meet and interact with other guests. The food was spot on! We're pretty certain this is will be our first choice when we return to Sri Lanka.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sandhan C
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

We really liked this place and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Positives: 1) price/affordability, 2) cleanliness, 3) spacious rooms, 4) nice porches, 5) reasonably quiet. 6) DELICIOUS, UNFORGETTABLE FOOD! I miss the cuisine, and I am sincerely considering going back and learning how to cook at The Spice House. 7) Great exchange rates - we ran out of local money, and Phil gave us a fair exchange rate (which is rare in most hotels). He wanted you to be comfortable and to enjoy your trip. He was not worried about the exchange rate. 8) The other people who say at the hotel are also great. A lot of nice Brits. Like attracts like? 9) Small, but clean pool. 10) Nice book collection.

Negatives: A/C! We know the owner Phil does not believe in A/C and we understand why. The weather is generally very nice in SL and you do not always need A/C, but we went during a very hot time. We could have slept a lot better with some A/C. However, the second night Phil provided us with a stronger fan and we slept a lot better. Fixing the hot water heater in one of the rooms.

Room Tip: Any room with a porch.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JDC-HKK_Travels
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Picked up from airport for a good price and had a relaxing trip to Mirissa ahead. No rushing, beer stops, views and free street food nibbles, it def set the tone.

Lovely house, a handful of large airy rooms. We prefered the upstairs room which we were moved to when it became free, quieter from road (although it was hardly noisy). Views of monkeys and stunning gardens, oh and a pool if you need it when the sea is 5 mins from door. Tuk Tuk to beach costs £1 each way, don't walk it's dark on a main road.

BEST curry in Sri Lanke (that we had) by a mile here. Miles better than anything else on the beach on the main strip. And the course differs according to what you've had before - perfect.

So, it's true what others say. A stay with Phil and Wathasala is well worth the trip.

Room Tip: Back room, quiet and great views. Chana is a great driver also - all smiles!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank highburydan
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

We (me, my husband and 10 year old daugher) stayed at the Spice House in April 2013 for 3 nights and were very reluctant to leave. Phil and Wathasala were absolutely perfect hosts from the very minute that we arrived offering a warm welcome until we left to go toTangalle being driven by Channa who is Wathsala's brother and the safest and most amiable driver that we met in Sri Lanka. The Spice House is extremely comfortable, clean and homely. The house oozes with good taste from the greatest to the smallest detail. Our room and bathroom were spotlessly clean thanks to the lovely cleaning lady and the beds were oh so comfortable. The breakfast and dinners were gorgeous thanks to the very competent cook and other kitchen helpers and sharing dinner in the garden beside the pool was extremely pleasant and sociable with other visitors. It was very hot during our time in Mirissa and so the swimming pool got put to great use and the small bays just opposite the house were lovely for swimming and messing about in the sea water. The garden is a work of art and a great place for the children to play and explore safely.
I would highly reccomend making a booking to The Spice House early in your travel plans as it has just a few bedrooms and will only become more popular. We hope to return someday !!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jo C
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Spice House in January and had a lovely time. The property itself is gorgeous- lush and exotic- and the house is cozy and comfortable yet spacious. Our room (Cinnamon room) was upstairs and had a pretty little balcony where my husband did his journal writing every morning. From there we could also watch the guy climb the coconut tree in the front yard and send down the fruit- quite entertaining! Our bathroom did not have hot water, but we found that we did not necessarily need it. Also, there was a spare bathroom downstairs that did have it, and I was able to use that one day.

The food- both breakfast and dinner- is very good, and we enjoyed getting to know the other guests at the communal dining table. FYI: BYOB. The table is outside on the pretty porch, which wraps nearly three quarters of the way around the house. There is also a pool beyond the porch, and while I did not swim, I did enjoy a wonderful nap there one afternoon (the husband says the water is nice). We were able to get wireless in the living room downstairs, and it worked fine except for the day that the power went out (in the entire town- not just the hotel).

You can walk to the beach in a few minutes, but you might consider catching a tuk-tuk as the road is quite busy. We took the public bus for a day visit to Galle, and that was a good way to experience the local culture a bit. Be forewarned: They drive a bit “edgy” on the island, and this includes the buses.

One of the best things about this guest house is the hospitality. The entire family is kind and welcoming, and Phil went out of his way to help us with anything we needed. On our last night there they were full, which we knew ahead of time, so Phil arranged for us to stay in a modest little room nearby owned by some local tuk-tuk drivers. It was fine, but the next day we were returning to the airport in the evening with a family we had actually met at The Spice House, and we had nowhere to stay or keep our luggage for the afternoon. Phil and the family graciously invited us to hang out on the porch, and we sat there for hours drinking tea and reading, and then went on our way with our new friends.

We would happily return to Sri Lanka and The Spice House. Enjoy!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

After travelling across Sri Lanka for over a week, we headed to Mirissa and we've stayed at the Spice House for four nights. The guesthouse ticked all of our boxes, it was clean, the rooms very spacious and beautifully decorated, the food was amazing and the hosts, Phil and Wathsala were very friendly. It had a warm home feeling to it. The sea is only few minutes away, the beaches are very pretty. It's a perfect place to stay and relax.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple