All told, there are many better places to stay. We spent 8 days at the Spice House and my main impression is that these people aren't living up to the glowing reviews that attracted us there. Some of the pains:
- a staff member being rude and disrespectful, and 'helping himself' to our things
- surcharging us by one extra night and giving us drama when we pointed it out
- we were travellimg with a baby, and had been told we would have free access to the fridge to hold the baby food, and then we were given some grief about it
- in all the time we were there, they cleaned our room only once, and only after we insisted
The building and location are nice, very good location for fauna. Beach access is ok. But hardly stellar for Sri Lanka. That said, the inconvenience of not having a cook for dinners became inconvenient after a while. They should hire a cook. Their breakfasts were hit and miss but acceptable.
The main impression I had was that this family figured they could have a good business with the guesthouse, with no real experience or feeling for providing good service.there may be some potential, but this is soured by the BIG negatives, the worst being the negative and diarespectful attitude of some of their staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Spice House, Mirissa is a beautiful Colonial style guesthouse with its own private swimming pool set in a peaceful, landscaped garden full of tropical flowers, fruits, spices, ponds & hammocks. It is ideally situated only one minute from a beautiful, reef protected bay & 1km from the main bustle of Mirissa beach. The guesthouse is English owned by an experienced traveller and his Sri Lankan Wife which allows us to offer our guests the perfect mix of Western comfort & luxury alongside Sri Lankan charm & service - we like our guests to feel like part of the family. The house is shaded by coconut palms & cinnamon trees to the front while the back is terraced which allows wonderful views over the surrounding jungle. Local wildlife is often seen in our garden with daily visits from monkeys, kingfishers, peacocks, woodpeckers & squirrels. We can also help with Airport transfers & booking whale watching trips during the season (November - April). ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Spice House Hotel, Mirissa Hotel Mirissa