“Fantastic Experience and Not to miss if in Srilanka!”
Review of Raja & the Whales

Raja & the Whales
Ranked #1 of 61 Tours in Mirissa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a local family, providing environmental and sustainable whale watching in Mirissa, Sri Lanka since 2008. We are very keen on protecting the whales and also have been doing research about them for many years now. We are very proud that we are recommended in the new Sri Lankan lonely planet and by so many users of tripadvisor. For bookings please visit our website. The price for a whale watching trip is 6500 LKR for adults and 4000 LKR for kids. Small kids (<6 years) are free of charge. A refund of 50% is given if we do not see any whales on the day of your trip. Please help to protect the whales!
Reviewed January 26, 2014

The entire tour is very very good and if I say in Hindi its "full paisa wasool".
We were able to locate 4 blue whales and a pair of turtle. The crew is very professional and gives its best to ensure that you are able to see whales. Apart from that you are served with on board breakfast. Well, to new travelers I would recommend to bargain to get the best deal. I get it for 3000 LKR per person.
Total travel time is around 5-7 hours which is bit hectic and may cause sea sickness to some. Though the crew keep medicines for the same.
Overall the show is very very professionally managed and must must see if you are in Srilanka.

Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Just a fantastic experience! I have never been on a so well organized tour that takes the animals so serous! We hade the pleasure to see the whales quite close but Raja and his team are so good to not let the whales be disturbed! I would recommend everyone to join their tour!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

From the moment we arrived at the office to the moment we got off the boat we were treated and cared for exceptionally well.
All the crew were efficient, knowledgeable and kind. Raja gave a short informative talk about the whales, conservation and safety.
The sea was not rough that day but like all seas it has swells and did indeed cause a few people some problems - this was dealt with with sympathetically by the crew and Raja himself.
I loved leaving at dawn, watching the sun come up over the Indian Ocean whilst heading off to see the whales.
Up on the top deck I got time to talk to Raja about the whales, conservation other boats etc. He is obviously very passionate and informed.
When a glimmer of a whale was spotted we all waited with huge hushed anticipation ( including the crew!) and excitement . All of us scanning the sea to see where the whale would next appear!

To top it all off we got to see two magnificent blue whales plus we were were the only boat there as no-one was late and therefore headed out before the other boats did!

I believe the negative reviews to be unwarranted . This was n ot my experience at all. The boat was well cared for, clean and plenty of space for everyone .
Yes, we were lucky to see two beautiful whales but you can't expect to see them as the sea is neither a zoo or an aquarium.

All coffee, fruit, juice, omelettes ,water,biscuits and cake were included in the price which we found to be very fair.

In the words of my husband : " We had a whale of a time" :)
and we certainly did!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Raja is super serious about protecting the whales, and explained how he would approach them at the beginning of the day. There were a few sea sick people (including me) and the excellent crew rallied round and sorted everyone out in seconds! Raja and his crew are super professional, speak amazing english and really made the day fun as well as educational. We saw a few whales, and one of them really close up, which was amazing!

It's also worth noting what amazingly good value the tour is in comparison to the other lonely planet recommended tours. Reading the review below, which seems just bonkers, there were its of tours where you don't pay much - but I can't imagine these tours offer the same service, or ethos in protecting the whales.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Raja really knows about the whales and is concerned about preserving the marine life. Very professional service.

1  Thank Shiva_n_Shilpa