“Great location right on the beach, great food, fantastic holiday, just a shame our room smelt like a urinal!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Palm Villa

and 1 more site!
Palm Villa
Ranked #3 of 140 Specialty Lodging in Mirissa
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 21, 2010

A fantastic location on the waterfront and in easy walking distance to some funky beach bars, Palm Villa is a lovely chilled environment for relaxing and enjoying its picturesque setting. Lying on my hammock on a sunny afternoon I could not help but feel completely relaxed and appreciative of what Sri Lanka has to offer. Although limited english was spoken the service was always with a smile and food/drinks were delivered at 'from what I can understand of Sri Lankan standards' a resonably good speed. They have a saying in Fiji that everything will come in relaxed 'Fiji time', the same applies here so prepare to relax and go with the flow.
The downside I'm afraid is that, whilst I can appreciate good basic, low cost accomodation, I'm also very picky about it being clean, and the first thing I noticed when entering our room was the smell of a public toilet. I followed this with a check of the sheets (or sheet shall I say, there is a lack of bedding), which were also not the lovely fresh white that I look for. I asked them to give it a thorough clean the next day, which they happily did, but I think due to a lack of use of any form of disinfectant or cleaning product, the smell was back within hours. Such a shame. I did check others rooms within our group however which smelt much better so I may have just drawn the short straw (Room 2). Go there expecting very basic and there should not be any nasty surprises. You'll need your own toiletries.
My best recommendation is that Palm Villa is located across from possibly the best Roti stand in Sri Lanka. They were amazing. Fantastic friendly service, and the most delicious Rotis ever. We were there daily for our banana, chocolate and condensed milk delight, or on the savoury side vegetable or cheese, vege Roti. You have to try it to believe it.
There is also a massage spa accross the road.
A car to Mirissa takes up to 6 hrs in peak traffic during the day but only three in the early morning or late evening so I recommend travelling at these times.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank KatLondon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Hebrew first