TripAdvisor
Mirissa
Post
Inbox
Search
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Very warm hospitality. Very clean room and quite homely. Beautiful quiet setting in the forest (apart from animal sounds of course). The rice and curry was perhaps the tastiest and best value I've found in Sri Lanka (and I've been eating it almost daily for 6 weeks). . . . I'm a bit puzzled by a one star rating by another reviewer who complained both that the room was too hot and that they didn't have blankets!?!?. This is a budget guest house - I paid 1,000 rupees, and thought it was great value as such.
The only issue I had was with the tuk tuk driver that the staff kindly phoned to take me to the station. He kept wanting to take me to a town further away (for more money) until I eventually had to ask him to stop the tuk tuk and I said I'd have to get out. Once we got there he tried to get others to persuade me the train didn't run. Usual South Asian stuff perhaps but having traveled in India for over a year, I found this guy exceptionally persistent. Hence the four stars instead of five.

Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank yinyangfun
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Nightmare comes true! Full of insects and mosquitoes. No hot showers available and the the bathroom was flooded easily during showers. Service wasn't that great. Couldn't sleep the whole night as it was too warm (faulty fan) and full of insect bites. Bed smelt bad, no blankets provided. Seafood dinner was expensive, yet of poor quality. It might have only costs 1500 rupees a night, but please pay more to get decent accommodation.

It is situated on the non beach side of the road, about 10 minutes walk to the beach.

Date of stay: April 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We stayed there for a week at new Amarasinghe Guest House which is close to the beach. First we book at the old Amarasinghe Guest House but its very far and the room was not really ok for us. then we change to new Amarasinghe Guest House. the stuff was nice. the food was great!! and just 1500 rupees per night. the guest house was 4 room service. No hot water which is not necessary because its very hot there.

Date of stay: April 2012
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We stayed here for three nights at the end of March. The obvious selling point is the beautiful garden here - pretty amazing actually. If you're into birds it'll blow your mind, with more to see in the gardens and fields nearby. The rooms are basic but comfortable enough and very good value (even by Sri Lankan standards), including mosquito nets and fans, while the food is cheap, very tasty and exceptionally filling - you simply cannot go wrong with jack-fruit curry. Breakfast, though, was a little disapointing (we found it virtually impossible to get proper string hoppers in any guest house in Sri Lanka, so this wasn't unusual). The only downside for us was a huge amount of construction work going on at the property next door to our room - in a rush to beat the monsoon rains this was going on till past 2am - but the next day the owner of Amarasinghe immediately offered (they weren't asked) to swap our room, with apologies.

All in all an excellent guest house, recommended, and close (ish - its maybe a ten minute walk) to one truly sensational beach at Mirissa.

Room tip: The room by the tennis court would usually be the best - we got unlucky with the construction work by the neighbours.
Date of stay: March 2012
1  Thank JakeH312
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Amarasinghe Guest House is an excellent place to say. It is very well run but kind staff. There are a range of rooms to suit your needs and price bracket. My girlfriend and I stayed in a clean, spacious but fairly basic one to save money. The room was good value for the area and season.

The food is excellent. They use locally ground spices and use a lot of ingredients from their own garden. This was an excellent place to meet people because of the large, communal tables. There are also private tables if you wanted.

The garden and surrounding area were beautiful. Mirissa is a wonderful tropical beach paradise.

Room tip: The rooms range a lot, talk to them carefully about what you need to see that you get what you want.
Date of stay: December 2011