“Overpriced Shambles...”

Ranked #136 of 183 Mirissa B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Overpriced Shambles...”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Firstly let me start by saying that I never usually write on these but I have been so disappointed by my stay that I felt I really had to warn people about this overpriced badly managed place.
The rooms are very nicely decorated but you would need some ear plugs to make sure you get a good sleep with the noise of the traffic outside.
The manager as stated in earlier posted is very unfriendly and I think he might be actually incapable of smiling.
The level of English of the staff in non-existent in 75% of cases which makes it hard to get any information. The breakfast is awful and you would probably get better in a prison.
Finally what really has got on my nerves was the fact that they want to charge me 9,400 rupees to get a car to the airport when just this morning an English girl and her friend got it for 8,000 rupees.
My advice stay well clear as it wouldn't be worth half the price they charge.

Room Tip: Don't choose any look elsewhere
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank jackgg

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The hotel is well positioned on the eastern end of the beach, with an attractive beachside pool with lovely views - a great place to park a sunlounger It was this that first attracted us to make a reservation. The owner ( or was it manager ) did a great sales pitch and seemed very personable. There is a delightful ever smiling lady on reception.We took a ground floor room by the pool, with two double beds, air con and an en suite shower for $95 a night.

Once we have moved in the owner / manager ignores us, doesn't want to know or enquire if all is well. Two faced which I cant cope with. On closer inspection, the room is grubby and needs a damn good clean. The mosquito nets over the beds are discoloured, there are cobwebs everywhere, the tap to the sink is broken and the shower is grimey.

The area around the pool is neglected and unfinished and a kiosk by the pool is filthy. The hotel is right on the main road but we didnt find the noise too bad.Not a great nights sleep, partly because of the road and partly because the boom boom of a weekend disco along the beach goes on till 3 or 4 am !!

.....................and so to breakfast. We walk into the dining room which is clearly the venue for the World International Fly Convention.The room is full of them. The buffet breakfast is covered in them. Ah well, a banana should be a safe bet but as I wrestle with it, a million fleas leep into the air. Thankfully we've not eaten here so far. I feel a move coming on so after a banana on the beach, we decide to leave after one night.

They did a good job with my laundry !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jon G
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Sunset hotel seems like it's a fairly old hotel complex on the beach of Mirissa. Overall it was a great hotel for me because I planned to be doing lots of activities in the area, and I was not going to spend a huge amount of my time at the hotel. My policy on deciding the type of hotel/room when I travel is:

1. If I am going to be doing a lot of activities in the area then I don't need some fancy-pants resort because I won't take advantage of it because I won't be around
2. Otherwise, a fancy resort may be nice because my vacation will be the resort

So I considered the Sunset my "home base" for doing stuff in the area. There are some good/bads about it so I'll break it down:

pros:
------
1. Very, very friendly staff. They can help you book things as far away as Yala National Park or as odd as trips to tea country to just walk around (which I do recommend BTW).
2. Very reasonable priced meals, very tasty meals. I think they have about the best food prices on Mirissa Beach. Their 6 Sri Lankan curry dish meal was by far my favorite meal I had in Sri Lanka: best tasting and very good priced.
3. Awesome location on the beach. They have about the best, prime location on Mirissa beach. The are near a lagoon area, partially sheltered by waves that you can snorkel and see cool stuff (I saw a sea turtle and big school of fish). On the other side of that lagoon area is the ocean with waves ramming ashore, so if that is peaceful sounding to you, it's definitely a bonus. They are also near a weird huge boulder formation sticking out of ocean that has steps you can walk up which works as an overlook of the whole area. They are also a little away from the "crowds" on the beach (but "crowds" is a loose term because there wasn't much of a crowd when I was there in January).
4. Reasonably priced room. I booked them as part of a week-long surf-scuba package so I can't say exactly what price I got, but I thought the whole package for a week which included the hotel was very reasonable.

cons:
-------
1. If you are a resort snob and like upper class, fancy, spoil-me resorts, this is not for you. This is a local mom-and-pop hotel.
2. They are located close to a main road, and traffic can be noisy on that road. They have rooms facing the ocean which I am sure are quiet (w/the exception of the waves hitting the beach), but my room was on the third floor and located much closer to the road than to the beach. As a result I heard a lot of traffic. I wound up sleeping with earplugs, which is not a big deal for me (I've slept in worse situations).
3. In addition to my unfortunate room location, I had an odd situation where one of the two sliding doors in my shower room was missing. I hope they fix that in the near future; they certainly did not try to fix it when I was there (they may not have had a spare sliding door to add). I did ask to change rooms, but it did not happen but I may not have communicated it that clearly to them (or they may not have had rooms to spare at the time). I visited a 2nd level room w/a balcony facing squarely at the ocean and that room appeared nice.

Overall, I rate them highly because they were so helpful and friendly (even just having normal conversations with the staff was enjoyable), the location on the beach is awesome, and the food there was awesome and inexpensive. The room situation I had doesn't give them a perfect score however.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank why2jjj
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were 8 nights at the Sunset Hotel. The staff was very nice, friendly and helpful. The situation of the hotel is perfect, from there you can do several day trips to check out the south of Sri Lanka. Only some steps away you can find little grocery stores, massages and some clothes stores.
Food and drinks are delicious. Enjoyed sitting on the terrace and watch the ocean.
Pool was everytime pretty clean.
Can totally recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for Deluxe-Room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed in hotel Sun set in the latter part of the last season.The days that we spend in the hotel was very pleasurable.

The view is good from the hotel to the sea and rooms are also comfortable.Nothing wrong cannot be said about the view and the rooms.Rooms are big and full of facilities.Food are also nice.

Owner of the hotel also very helpful and hospitable.He is a very busy man.Staff of the hotel is also helpful.But we can say something terrible about two of them who is in the staff.

But the owner must think about the security of the hotel.

Manager of the hotel, Jayantha is not a good man.Actually he is a liar who beg money from us by telling his poorness.Always he try to do a private business though he couldn't speak English.The only thing he speaks is "ok ok".So he is not suitable to hold such a position.Because of that he can't help us whenever we need a help.

He arranged a tuk tuk for us to go to Unawatuna.As he recommend we went to a jewellery shop in Unawatuna.We believe him and bought some jewelleries but when we check them after going to our country we knew that we have been cheated.

The room service man who is not young is not a clean man.He is stink and always ask for tips which was very headache for us.

Because of these reasons the hotel will be declined and the owner must take steps for these two.

We can't recommend this place for solo girls.

Room Tip: "rooms on the upstair are good"
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We loved this hotel, the position was great right on the beach but the best part
about it was the helpful staff who after 12 nights stay felt like family. We were there in
June which was the off season and even though it is windy that time of the year we were protected in the bay outside our hotel. There were hardly any tourists at that
time of the year too and that was great. We often had the beach to ourselves.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FrangipanniBrisbane
Rome, Italy
Reviewed April 22, 2012

The hotel is what it is. We actually decided to extend our stay there by one night. If you are looking for a beachside location, you won't get any closer to the beach than the Sunset! I think all the rooms face the sea so all have a wonderful view. As others have mentioned, even the big bathroom window opens directly onto the beach. We covered the window with a sarong, otherwise passers-by would have a pretty nice view into the bathroom!
The upstairs room 204 was quite comfortable. We had a/c, but with the nighttime breeze blowing in off the sea, you don't really need it. The big double bed was very comfortable and had a good mosquito net and nice reading lamps. Hot water was good and plentiful in the shower, with good pressure, if that sort of thing is important to you.
OK guys, this is not a luxury resort, so if that is what you are expecting, you'll be disappointed. If, however, you are just looking for a nice clean place on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, I don't think the SunSet will disappoint!
We ate lunch in the restaurant one day and it was delicious. (For dinner, we found it more interesting and cozy to eat at the beach restaurants) The breakfast buffet was fine - the typical eggs, toast, coffee/tea, juice and fresh fruit.
As for services, hit or miss. They did a great laundry service for us at a very reasonable price. They only clean your room is you ask them to do so (and remind them), but when they do it, they do a great job. The restaurant manager is very kind and friendly. Some of the other staff less so.
We were staying there during the full moon. Each of the three nights, turtles came onto the beach just in front of the hotel to lay eggs!
There might be better places to stay in Mirissa. But we were very happily based at the Sunset and can only recommend it to others.

Room Tip: All rooms face the beach. Upper floors have balconies.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends