“Owner has mood issues!”

Ranked #31 of 186 Mirissa B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Owner has mood issues!”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Good location of the hotel - right on the beach! But the owner really needs to do something to sort out his mood issues. Was pretty pissed off with most questions we asked - like putting passports in the safe. Restaurant is in a nice location on the beach and the view from the balconies is nice. Rooms are pretty basic with a shabby mosi net but good fans!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Georgie A

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 3, 2011

It was a good place to stay. Staff was friendly, asking if we liked the place, if everything was allright.

Like in more guesthouses the room is not cleaned everyday, but when you ask they will do, they will also bring clean towels etc. Place is directly at the sea, was so good!

There were guest in all ages, also children. When we were there the music of the resaturant did stop around 22:00 / 23:00. So in this time not till 05:00 in the morning. It was more quiet then for example Una Watuna.

Food in the restaurant was good. Very nice to have breakfast at the beach and in the evening have your diner there. You can just choice your fish and it will be prepared for you.

They can arrange all kind of trips for you. We went for whale watching. It was so great! We did see about 15 whales and also dolphines!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank mickey_nl
Reviewed April 30, 2011

We stayed 5 nights, the hotel and the Restraunt are run separately, the room was fine 50 ft from the beach, very reasonable prices, hotel staff laid back not in your face but happy to help if you needed anything. The Restraunt however was fantastic food was very nice, beer very cheap! But the staff of the Restraunt make the difference, great service, playing cricket & volley ball with all the guests on the beach. They provided a great party atmosphere that went on till late.

Like most hostels in Sri Lanka the hotel staff won't disturb you unless you want them, so ask for your room to be cleaned or new towels and they will happily sort it for you!

Maybe not great for people with young kids but if you are back packing then this is a great place to stay, relax and have a lot of fun!

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank Danielfryer
Lochinver, NW Scotland
Reviewed January 19, 2011

Disregard the ratings in this report ... I haven't stayed there since my first experience but I had to enter some sort of star rating in order to get to this comment box. I have however kept a close watch on the MBI over the intervening period and am pleased to report positive progress. The establishment is still actually owned by the folks upon whom I reported earlier, but the owners have now accepted that they aren't really cut-out to be tourism hosts and have rented the establishment to some of those necessary keen new types I mentioned before. The grotty fence has been ripped down and the dining faciity extended onto the beach where it is seen to be competing successfully against the many others ... which suggests that the food is OK. I'd suggest that it might now be worth considering again... it's a great location. It would be good if someone who has stayed there this year could put some flesh on the bones of my 'outside looking in' impressions.

• Stayed January 2011
5 Thank MikeRoch
Lochinver, NW Scotland
Reviewed April 11, 2010

I had planned to stay a month and departed after 8 days when my deposit was consumed. The location is good, the grounds a little battered and bare but what upset me first was the lack of furniture in the $35 aircon rooms in the 3 storey block. Decent sized accommodation with effective aircon, decoration a little shabby but the furnishings were truly minimal. We were obliged to live out of our suitcases since there were no drawers, cupboards, hanging rails or wardrobes. Take some effective earplugs if you want to sleep because the busy coast road goes right past the door and it never lets up. I concur with many of the negative comments: Once the effusive welcome is over and the 'welcome' red carpet has been rolled up and put away you are left to free-run on your own, bins are not emptied, bedlinen/towels not changed, rooms not cleaned. This might be OK for a 2 night stay but not if booked in for longer. My spies tell me that the business is troubled in a number of ways and that the proprietor has lost all motivation ... and I'm afraid that it shows. Great location next to the beach though.

I confess that my wife and I could never be described as 'Wild Young Things' bent on hedonistic all-night partying ... those who are so might enjoy the seriously loud discos laid on by an itinerant gang of lads who hawk their services to the various bars and guesthouses up and down the beach. Brace yourselves when you see them setting up, our earplugs did not prevent us being kept awake all night until 0530 when the boppers eventually keeled over and got some shut-eye.

We gave up and decamped across the road to 'Samantha Flora & Fauna' and got an upstairs room for $11, nice grounds and a very helpful and friendly host.

Recommend 'Sunset Bar' on the beach ... great seafood, outstanding views

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MikeRoch
Nerja, Spain
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Paid 2500 rupees for a double upstairs with breakfast. The family were very nice and made the best tuna dinner I have ever tasted. Only had 2 nights so moved 2 doors down, exactly the same rooms 1500 without breakfast so much better value.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jockeygirl
Siem Reap
Reviewed January 4, 2010

I cannot review this place as we never actually got through the door. Despite booking 2 doubles for 4 nights by e-mail a month earlier and confirming by phone the day before, when we arrived our rooms had been given away. Not only that but then the man had the audacity to blame us giving excuses which made him sound even worse. There was no apology or any kind of regret but just a very guilty sheepish owner. All the other places were booked so we had to go to Unawatuna which left us with a very sour taste in our mouths.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple