“Perfect beach location”

Paradise Beach Club
Ranked #12 of 191 Mirissa B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 24, 2011

The hotel was in a fantastic location right on the beach at Mirissa. Our 2 rooms looked straight across the small pool to the beach, the only 2 to do so in this part of the hotel, and were booked for us by our guide Upul of Sri Lankan Tailored tours. The food was excellent and the wine was the best value we had in our 2 weeks in Sri Lanka The massage onsite was great value for money and was an enjoyable experience.
The beach in front of the hotel was very clean and was notably absent of beach boys or any sellers. There were an ample supply of sun loungers and cushions as well as a few bean bags.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank leylander
There are newer reviews for Paradise Beach Club

Reviewed April 22, 2011

We booked a room based on the recommendation of our driver as we were leaving Hikkaduwa to find a better location. When we first gazed upon the scenic beach location which seemed perfect for our kids, we immediately booked with no reservations. As many of the reviews note, the beach location is amazing. Probably the best location in Mirissa. The owners, management, and staff must know this - that us foreigners have little other options since they could care less about service and are downright rude. They ignore you at the front desk. When I wanted change for a 2000 Rupee note so I could tip a server (because I'm a nice guy not because the service was wonderful), they just pointed me to the grouchy accountant to flipped through a wad of cash only to tell me he had none to spare. I complained to the manager who ignored me. (This same guy gave me a hard time when I paid my $300 bill in cash at the end of our stay and come up 11 Rupees short with the exchange (thats about 10 cents folks).

The waiters are slow and have no customer service skills. The food buffet, which was included in our $98 dollar a night, small, "triple" room was very basic and pretty bad. When trying to book a driver from the hotel, they weren't very accomodating, either, wanting to give us a time frame when they wanted the driver back. That's not up to them -the guest pays for the service for the time they want.

There were many European/American visitors when we were there. For the business this hotel gets, its shameful that the hotel management treats guests so poorly. They are truly cashing in on their location. Its a shame this hotel isn't owned/managed by people who truly care about their guests.

The beach in April was quite rough. My kids are good swimmers and I watched them closely, but the waves certainly pounded us. Couldn't really get out too deep. Not sure what the rest of the year is like. We had fun regardless of the rough seas.

Overall, I would consider staying here again but only for the location. I would reluctantly have to pay these people for the priviledge of an ideal setting. Because of that, I would choose to give my money to a more deserving owner if I could find and equally nice beach. I would tell friends to consider staying here if they dont mind the service.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ColFlagg4077
Reviewed April 14, 2011

Very good rooms,spacious.Housekeeping is good & rooms are clean.The view from the hotel is straight to the Indian ocean.The resturant having good food, the breakfast spread is simple but good.Staff helpful,they also provided a perticular TV channel on request.The beach in front of the hotel is a nice place for relaxation.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2011

The hotel is right on a truly spectacular beach and the outdoor dining looks right on to the water. Our room was totally adequate considering we spent most of our time on the beach and very clean, you could hear the ocean from the room! The food is fine, but not fantastic, but there are plenty of other places to go along the beach for cocktails and seafood. The whale watch they organized for us was great, it was six people in a small motorboat and we could see the whales from all directions. Would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 27, 2011

We did not stay at this hotel but went whale watching on a day trip organised by the hotel. We were very disappointed. It cost R6000 each and there were about 25 people on the boat. We did glimpse whales but the crew on the boat did not have a clue about the knid of whales we were seeing and told us when asked, that it was a black whale! Several people were sick and nothing was done to clean up. There were not enough life jackets for all passengers. The ladder to the upper deck was not fixed and was very dangerous, needing someone else, usually another passenger, to hold it steady and in place.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TonyandChristine50
virajfernando, Affiliate at Paradise Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2011

I am sorry. This is not arranged by the hotel as we do not have a such a big boat. Our boat can carry only 5 passengers. And we do not have an upper deck.

We always carry maximum 5 people though we have seating for 6 people. Our life jackets are brand new as the boat.

We know that there is only 1 boat with 2 decks but it is not operated by the hotel.

Thanks
Viraj

Reviewed February 25, 2011

The room and location were great. The beach club is right in the middle of Mirissa bay, which is beautiful. The pool area and direct beachfront was unfortunately crowded and the buffet dinner (compulsory half-board rates only here) was mediocre at best. The main complaint I have with this hotel was the appalling treatment I received from the hotel receptionist when we discovered our balcony doors didn't lock. Obviously I didn't want to leave my things in a room that wasn't secure and asked if they could move us to a room where the doors locked. They sent maintenance men who fiddled with the door for half an hour before agreeing with us that indeed the door didn't lock, but not solving the problem. Each time I called down to reception to move things along the receptionist hung-up on me as couldn't handle the complaint! I managed to get through to another receptionist and asked whether they could watch our baggage whilst they fixed the door or if we could move rooms. She passed me over to the male receptionist who had been hanging-up on me and he told me this wasn't possible. Then, miraculously, once I went down to reception in person, suddenly there was another room available but the male receptionist refused to deal with me and instead palmed me off on a poor old man who I was led to believe was the managers father! A very strange and wholly avoidable situation that spoiled our short stay at Paradise Beach Club.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2011

We spent one night here as part of a tour, but could have happily stayed longer. The hotel is on the best beach we saw in Sri Lanka and the rooms were large and nice inside. The balcony was an added bonus as you could see the sea from ours. Staff were very helpful and friendly and when we had a problem with the lock on our door, they fixed it quickly. The food was fine, it was a buffet so never going to be amazing, but if you don't want to eat there, you could always wander down the beach for amazing looking fresh fish (just pick your fish and they cook it for you on the spot!). Another plus for this location is that the sea is relatively calm, so you can swim, whereas there are others down the coast where swimming is more difficult.

Would definitely return and recommend to others.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple