“Super stay”

Cuisines: French, Irish, British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My best friend and I stayed in Preston House last weekend. I had booked for my husband and I but sadly our babysitter let us down so I brought a friend instead. I was worried as it really appeared to be more amied at couples. But on arrival our minds were put to rest by the lovely welcome. The room was so spacious and the bed so comforable. Our meal was the taster menu and was amazing the best I have had in any of the top spots in Dublin. Danny and the team were fun and interesting and every detail of the stunning food way explained. Can't wait to go back very soon... once the sitter is sorted. Thanks for a great stay Breda and Danny and we wish you many, many years of continued success. Warms wishes, Jo.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

excellent food , great service . decor is amazing . not everyones cup of tea . brilliant choice on menu , very tasty , as i said not your every day run of the mill menu . some of the menu i never heard of . 24 slow cooked beef is to die for . if you enjoy adventurous food its a must check out . a bit pricey for your main stream customer . dont get me wrong , you get what you pay for . If you have a complaint feel free to mention it to danny .

Reviewed January 6, 2014

During the fantastically placed weekend between Christmas and New Year, we decided to give the dent in our couch a break and travel to Preston House in Abbeyliex for a quiet meal, brandy by the fire and accomodation that allowed me to put my designated driver status to the side for the night. In the pre-toll road years, Preston House was always a visual treat while standing in backed up traffic, so it was great to actually park the car and check out the food and atmosphere. We had pre-dinner drinks down at Morrisey's which is an absolute must f you have never dropped in. We came back to Preston to be gastronomically stunned for the next 4 hours with their 7 course tasting menu. Tasting portions began small as they should, but soon grew to such proportions that you could now park your fear of being underfed. The chef has a clear talent in combining flavours with his use of the best food and flavours this island has to offer. The service standards were top notch with a few wait staff clearly having Silver Service experience. Danny is particularly skilled with his presentation skills and food knowledge, but other members shined equally in subtle manner. The value of the tasing menu was excellent considering the quality of the evening enjoyed. The room offered a very comfortable bed and dressings to round out the stay. Breakfast contained all the quality ingredients to make one proud to dig into a proper full Irish breakfast. I wish Danny and Breda every success with their venture and will certainly pass on the good word.

2  Thank Gull_Air_ACK
Reviewed December 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Preston House last week and we both decided to opt for the tasting menu with accompanying wines. It was a fantastic culinary experience definitely Michelin star flavours and service. The guesthouse has a wonderful charm and character and the hosts are friendly professional and very welcoming. The bedrooms are spacious and very comfortable.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We were visiting Ireland to see family and decided on Preston house for a 2 night stay en route to various relatives. We had a fantastic stay. Highlights include the roaring log fire (great this time of year), the homemade muesli at breakfast, the exceptional service from Danny and Breda and the staff, and our room which was huge and lovingly furnished. And of course the food. We travelled with our 2 year old which can sometimes be difficult, but Danny made us feel very welcome and nothing seemed too much trouble (including cots, ad hock children's pasta meals and oddly timed heated milk). The first night we ate from the al a carte menu which was exceptional and paired with some lovely wines, on our second night we ate from the 'early bird' menu which was just as good (the burnt corn/chicken wing broth was the star) . Fantastic food and service but delivered without any pretension and with real love. Approx 1 hr out of Dublin and 30-40 mins on to Kilkenny (which we visited).