“awesome excursions”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pilon
St. Catharines, Canada
“awesome excursions”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had a wonderful time on the excursions, river tour, cayo blanco had the best beach and lobster dinner with an amazing rice.
The rooms are clean and in decent repair. The farrallon is better than the lower units. The farrallon closes for the summer though.
The only thing we didnt like about this resort is the locals came in on the weekends and stuffed the buffet food into their purses, and the guys hogged the bar drinks with line ups 4 and 5 deep. we never had a chance :( they must have let 40 or 50 into the resort...trouble is the resort is small

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mark h

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a very quiet and remote resort. Not a lot of night life. Very relaxing holiday and beautiful weather. The Carribbean Sea right at your door step was so warm and clean beach. The day trips to Cayo Blanco were amazing! The resort sunset cruise is fun. Great place to meet the local people and learn about their culture and country. The mountain view was amazing!! Only setback was, we were booked into the Farallon but rec'd e-mail 2 days before we left to advise it was closed. We stayed in cabanas. Ok, but the Farallon looks very nice & would have been good to have stayed there as we paid for the upgrade. The VIP pkg. is well worth the money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank J R
Quebec
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was our 2nd time at Farallon.This time around we had booked a cabana for a change and being closer to the beach sounded pritty good.But when we saw which one they had given us,I believe #51,not quite on the beach,no patio door to sit outside,unless you sit in the entrance way,so we just asked to go back up at the Farallon AHHHH!The view is great,the rooms are fine,the walk is no problem for us.This time around the food was very good,not that it was bad before,but a bit more choice,and being returnees we had the right to a great supper one evening, (lobster YUM!)We really like this place and will probably be returning one day.We were there for R&R. I started chemo a few days later for breast cancer,so this trip did sooo much good!We also had met a family the time before and had brought a lot of stuff for outside plumbing etc.things that we don't really think about,but once you visit you have a better sense of what can really give a hand.Of course we always stuff our luggage with clothes and shoes. They were so happy to see us it was heart warming.They gave us a huge bag of coffee and aprox.2 litres of great honey.The area is great for biking,hiking,horseback riding(which unfortunately I couldn't do)and of course R&R.We will return one day!!

5 Thank RioRojo70
Maple Creek, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Not a place I would ever return to but for the money I paid it was an ok trip. Paid for the upgrade to the Cabana room and don't really know what the difference is between a Cabana and a regular hotel room aside from the bottle of wine and rum I received. The room was always clean but my "cabana" room sure looked like all the other rooms.

The only real positives regarding this trip were the people. I love Cuba and the staff at the resort were always friendly and the service was always great. The food is typical of Cuba. If you get a chance to take the trip to the off resort beach spend the extra. The Lobster Lunch was amazing and the snorkelling is some of the best I've seen anywhere in Cuba. There is lots of shade and typical white sandy beaches.

While not necessarily negatives; there were a number of things that just made this a very average trip. The beach is not usable. The sand is like a volcanic ash; very dark and quite rocky. The water is in a bay so the waves can be high and not the typical clear water I'm used to seeing. There is nothing close to the main resort after hours. The food was very average even for Cuba standards. The front desk never had small bills.

For the money it was an ok trip but not a place I'd ever go back to.

Room Tip: No preference; they're all close to the pool and Buffet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank KenHass
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Two days before leaving for our trip to this resort Sunwing called us and said they were closing the Farallon section of the resort. We were really upset that they sold us this trip knowing that this section of the resort closes every year at the same time. They told us they were "upgrading" us to a cabana room in the Marea section which was an absolute joke. We booked and payed extra for the VIP package which was supposed to include an express check in. They had one employee working the desk in which two bus loads of people were all checked in at the same time so we waited in line with everyone else. It was late at night and the lady at the front desk handed us a key and never even explained to us how to get to the room or where it was. When we finally found our cabana it was definitely not an upgrade. It is a small run down room with two single uncomfortable beds with thin little pillows, dirty bedding and it was damp and moldy. The bathroom was not clean, it was covered in bugs and it had hair all over the walls and it stayed like that all week, not once did they bother to wipe down the walls. We have been to Cuba before and stayed in a range of 3-5 star resorts. My biggest thing is cleanliness and the service received from the staff. Because we were not "repeat" guests we received very rude service from the staff which really put a bad taste in my mouth. Some of the repeat guests are older men who come down to Cuba to meet young local girls. All week we had to watch these old disgusting men parade around these women, some in which were pregnant. I even saw an exchange of an older Canadian woman give a Cuban man money out of her wallet and then they went back to her room. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO WATCH OBVIOUS PROSTITUTION HAPPEN RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES DO NOT BOOK AT THIS RESORT!!!!! I can not believe that this is acceptable and encouraged at this resort it was so gross to watch. We walked up to the Farallon one night just to see what we were missing. The views of the mountains from up there are amazing, the pool is larger and had a swim up bar and just from walking through the lobby it was even more disappointing because I am sure that the place where we were supposed to be in would have been a much nicer stay. It is such a shame that our resort experience was this bad as the area itself is gorgeous. Even the drinks were pathetic as they did not want to give you ice for them leaving you with a warm beverage, the staff seemed annoyed any time we would ask for extra ice. We did really enjoy the sunset cruise and the two trips to Cayo Blanco Island. It was the only time we got a decent meal as you get a lobster lunch included in your trip. If you do decide to book I suggest getting the VIP package as it included these trips but BEWARE the nicer Farallon section is now closed until October. We are seasoned traveller's and have stayed all over the world at different classes of places. I am always honest and fair in my reviews of places as I do feel it is very important information when people are deciding where to book. I never have high expectations of Cuba knowing we typically go for a cheap relaxing getaway. We have stayed at a three star in Varedero before and I would rate that resort a 5 in comparison to this one. I do expect the room to be clean and service with a smile as I am still a paying guest no matter what the price tag. Unless you have been here before or you are looking to pay for sex I recommend saving your hard earned money and looking for another resort.

Room Tip: Do not book a cabana room book up at the Farallon if you can please not the Farallon closes from end...
6 Thank JennySnydes

Travelers are raving about these Pilon hotels

St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2013

If you are looking for a relaxing place to go Marea Del Portillo is the place to be, you can sit by the pool or on the beach while reading or listening to music without a stereo blasting Cuban music at you all day. To enhance the food bring your own spices, Food can get repetitive if you take more than one week at this resort.
The entertainment was good and the recreation staff did their best to include everyone in events.
One thing that was disappointing there was no bacon for breakfast for the two weeks that we were in Cuba.

4 Thank Bill G
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

First off, I was booked to stay in a superior room VIP. I received an email a few days before takeoff stating that that particular section of the resort was closed down because of the dry season and we were being upgraded to a cabana. I was traveling with my mother & 2 sons aged 14 & 17. (Temperatures ranged from 35-40*).
This one is difficult to rate. When I compare the resort itself to other resorts within Cuba, it is far below the average. Air conditioners that are so loud you have trouble sleeping, paint peeling, hard beds, no fans and stifling heat, 1 small pool, tiny buffet dinner that has lukewarm food that is pretty much the same every day/night, 1 snack bar that runs out of food...you get the idea. Now add into the picture a resort filled with friends, everyone smiling and talking to one another, staff that is smiling & SO KIND-you aren't just another vacationer, you are welcomed-and you feel very comfortable. We were put up originally in a cabana that had no balcony or back door, when we requested a room change, they asked were we would like to go. No stress no big deal. Very welcoming, they appreciate your choosing them.
EXCURSIONS:
VIP included 2 trips to Cayo Blanco (1was plenty) with a lobster lunch, sunset cruise (2hrs...about 1 hour too long), and a picnic lunch-usually to a waterfall, but they are dried up so it was to a farm (we didn't attend).
We snorkeled for $10 each, just the 4 of us!!
There are a bunch of excursions available all reasonably priced around $40/pp, and many not listed, just ask and they will arrange it.
We had lobster 2 nights, it was overcooked, but yummy none the less.
Will I return?? With teenagers, nope. There really isn't anything to do at the resort with the exception of bingo daily. Most excursions left at 9am, FAR too early for a teenage boy on vacation! Lol:) and with temperatures in the high 30's, it was not enjoyable to explore the countryside. Most guests are returning, most are 60's. I could see myself returning with my husband if i got another deal. My mom said she would love to return. The flight there was about 5 1/2 hrs because if a stop over to drop people off.
So, long story short, if your with teenagers, find a bigger more activity filled resort, if you're looking for some kind of nightlife, busy, full, big place to stay find another resort.
However, if you're looking for a closely knit community feel where your safety & enjoyment are paramount....purchase! You won't be disappointed!!
Hope this helps your decision!!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Kim B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pilon
Gran Club Santa Lucia
Starfish Cayo Santa Maria
Starfish Cayo Santa Maria
#8 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,052 reviews

Been to Club Amigo Marea del Portillo? Share your experiences!