“Overall a lovely place and I would consider staying here again”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hubbards
Hubbards Cove Inn & Seaside Cottages
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I stayed on the ground floor of cottage #1. My initial expectations were low, given its proximity to the road and grounds entrance, as well as its position behind the other cottages facing the cove. However, those expectations were pleasantly exceeded! I appreciated having a spacious,clean, and nicely furnished apartment with a fully-equipped kitchen to cook meals in. It even had a very nice view of the cove from the screened-in porch. It felt like a home rather than a hotel room, which was just what I was looking for during my stay as I explored every nook and cranny of the south shore between Halifax and Lunenburg.

I would have given a higher rating, except for a number of small things. The screen on the porch was ripped and blew in the wind, as well as let in mosquitoes. The smoke alarm in the hall in front of the bathroom dangled from the ceiling by two wires. And, most importantly, the all-glass door to the cottage, which faced the parking lot and the main inn, and had a direct, clear view of my bedroom and bathroom, had no privacy shade like the other windows in the cottage.

Finally, the host/manager, who said she lived in an apartment in the inn and, according to information in the room, kept office hours from 1PM to 7PM daily, was never around. I never saw her except for the few moments when I checked in, upon which full payment for my stay was taken. The door to the inn was always locked and she never responded to the door bell or knocks to the door, so I couldn't ask her to attend to any of these matters. I believe I was the only one staying there at the time, though, so she may not have felt the need to be on site.

All things considered, however, if I come back to this area--and it is definitely deserving of a second look!--I would try to stay here again. From what I could tell, there were not many lodging facilities in the immediate area that offered apartments/cottages with fully-equipped kitchens (important to me) for solo travelers. (There are nearby establishments that offer cottages for groups of 6 or, for solo travelers and couples, small cabins without kitchens.)

Room Tip: There are a variety of accommodations on the property so ask what all is available/suitable
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed September 20, 2010

Here is a bit about our three nights stay at the seaside cottages. We rented this cottage for a peaceful, romantic getaway. Peace and quiet was exactly what we got. The cottages are situated in a quiet spot and ours was closest to the water. Great view but not as close to the water as I had hoped. We rented the upper "King Size" bed loft - it was a cute open spaced loft with a small kitchenette, fireplace and a gigantic bathroom. The whirlpool bath was very nice. Unfortunately the bed was not that comfortable - it was actually 2 singles that were put together to make a King size bed - not ideal. The cottage was very clean though and we were brought fresh towels during our stay. There isn't much service at this place - you check in, pay and then you never see anybody. When I did visit the front desk I almost felt like I was intruding. I'm not suggesting there was bad service it just wasn't the warm, east coast hospitality we are used to.

The location is perfect if you want to explore the shore. We visited Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, Chester and Peggy's Cove. All were within 30 minutes driving time from the cottages.

All in all we had a really nice stay and would recommend this place for romance, rest and relaxation. Next time we will try the Rosewood Cottages in the Bay - we checked them out and they look adorable and have a few more amenities.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EastCoastinIt
Reviewed September 17, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Inn for one night. The Inn itself is a bit tired, but is homely if you like that kind of a place. Our stay was during Hurrican Earl which understandably was a difficult time for the whole of Nova Scotia.

After the storm with no power, there was no water or electricty. We were not offered any water, and it appears the inn was not prepared for the storm. We had to ask for a flashlight, and our whole stay had no water to flush toilets etc.

We were not given any discount after requesting one due to the lack of power/water and were declined. Maybe this is a great place to stay in the nice weather, but the inn was not prepared for a storm of this size, and lacked any form of hospitality.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple