“Simple but very good quality for price”
Review of Mangia E Bevi - CLOSED

Mangia E Bevi
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Wine bar kitchen with menu a la carte, aperitiv, craft beers, lunch, business menu.
Los Angeles, California
“Simple but very good quality for price”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I travel often on lake Como and know a number of restaurants and trattorie there. This place is one of my favorites for lunch. I find some of the negative reviews very unfair. It is a simple small restaurant but with a stunning lake view and honest good food for the price. Today was there with husband and mother. Three fixed price (12 euros) lunches. We paid 40 euros because I also had a Greco di Tufo glass of wine. Two penne with pomodoro (simple but al dente, not so common in Lumbardy). 1 risotto very good. 2 scaloppine, tender and tasty. 1 mixed cheese with honey. Choice of warm bread and grissini. 2 bottles of water and 3 coffee.
These prices are valid only for business lunch, not during the weekend. We were there for a regular lunch one Saturday and had a very tasty meal for not so higher price.
The owner is young and friendly/informal.
I recommended this place to several friends and will return, continuing to consider it a little gem, perhaps not ok only if you look for an expensive formal restaurant.
Hope this heps

• Visited May 2014
ilmangia85, Proprietario at Mangia E Bevi, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear customer,
we are very glad you have a good experience with us.
Thank you so much for your review.
We hope se you soon.

Fabrizio

Brussels, Belgium
“Excellent place!”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

we had a very nice dinner at Mangia e Bevi. The view is wonderful and the food was excellent. We went there with 2 kids and they enjoyed playing with the board games that were available at the restaurant. This way, my husband and I were able to have a quiet time.

• Visited April 2014
New Zealand
“Not a good choice”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stumbled upon this restaurant during a recent stay in the lake region. We did not read the reviews in advance, which was a mistake. What drew us in was the view--which is fantastic--with a nice, elevated view overlooking the lake.

The food was basic, uninspired and lacked flavor. Since the menu was so limited, we expected the each of the choices to be excellent. This, unfortunately, was not the case. We can easily say that it was the worst meal of our 10-day trip.

Additionally, we felt like we weren't particularly welcomed during our experience at the restaurant. We suspect that the place is frequented by friends and family of the proprietor. They seem to get proper service and attention while visitors languish.

With so many good choices in the lake region, there is no good reason to choose this restaurant. Avoid making the same mistake that we did.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank LanceTripster
Como, Italy
“apertif”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

as a foreigner not knowing much places in Italy, went to this place with my friends for an aperitivo. And that will be the first and the last time i went there. Hospitality is zero, the happy hour food was very cheap and was counted. Grissini was given only 2 per person. Everything was given counted. Damn you go with ur friends for a night to enjoy not to get back home nervous

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank jasmine p
ilmangia85, Proprietario at Mangia E Bevi, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Hello Jasmine.
We apologise if anything was wrong, but at the same time I refuse with conviction your opinion about us.
In particular about our hospitality: for us a custumer is first of all a guest. What was wrong with our welcome? If the hospitality is zero, what was so heavy wrong? Are we so rude and so insolent? I don't believe it.
And then, about the food. We serve at least an assortement of salami and cheese, grissini and chips. But at least, normally it's more than this, with warm food and a taste of our restaurant dishes. Did we serve you only grissini? Sincerely, I' dont believe it again.
Kind regards.

Fabrizio Mangiapane
Basel, Switzerland
“At least they have the view in their favor.”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The best part about this restaurant is the location--the terrace is spacious and has stunning views of the lake. The menu is limited and the food is only average for the region. Our appetizers lacked flavor or creativity. The main pasta course was good, but again nothing special. The wine list is very good and reasonably priced.

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank misti009
ilmangia85, Proprietario at Mangia E Bevi, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
I'm Fabrizio, the owner of the restaurant.
I remember very well what happened last monday.
I'm very sorry you had a bad dinner.
In the particolar you had the pasta with tuna and onions, and the cuttlefish. I and my chef checked the food, and up to us was absolutely ok. I could be you don't appreciate, but it was very flavoured. About the cuttlefish, you choosed it, I'm sorry you didn't understant what I was. But you didn't taste it at all, so how you can say that it was bad?
Up the menu, it's our chooise having a very light menu, with only two dishes for course.
I'm very sorry if you didn't like our restaurant.
I'd like I have you here another time.
Cordially,