After much consideration and probably against my better judgment, I have decided to write a review which can be summed up in the quote above. The reason for my hesitation? Simply for the selfish purpose of keeping this jewel to myself. Which is, of course, ridiculous since it needs a steady flow of customers to keep it running til our next visit, and also because I cannot stay there indefinitely. My girlfriend and I booked the double room only a couple of days in advance since we were spontaneously driving our way north through Italy, and we only stayed for two short nights. Let me briefly sum up Villa Nina’s cardinal virtues in three specific points:
1) Excellent service. The proprietror, sig. Walter, is a wiry, tanned man whose sense of service never feels intrusive and is always discreet. Examples include an unexpected but gratefully received sms prior to our arrival in order for us to find the best autostrada-exit to the B&B, generous loans of appropriate MacBook-cables for faulty laptops and finally advice on (and upon request, booking of) truly marvellous local restaurants in the vicinity. Overhearing him booking over his cell in a neighbouring room, he requested ”Per favore, chiediamo il service top per i nostri clienti”.
2) Location. Lago di Como is in and of itself marvellous, although Villa Nina’s main house is situated on the ”wrong” side of the street. On the other hand, an elegant bridge, for the exclusive use of the Villas residents, rectifies this by connecting to a small lawn and big patio with sun beds and sofas more or less directly connected to the waterfront. Private, as quiet as can be expected and few windows from neighbouring houses overlooking the space.
3) Atmosphere. The villa is a marvellous three-story house with the lower level reserved for the common areas, the first floor accomodating a spacious double room with a comfortable bed and adjoining bathroom, and also a suite which we got to peek into (and where we will be staying next time) with a balcony view of the lago and a private bathroom, and finally the second floor housing the owner’s private family rooms. Words cannot do the simple and sublime interior justice, and you will be better off studying the photos on the villa’s website, but the atmosphere is suffused with a sense of tidiness, elegance and understatement.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and HRS so you can book your Relais Villa Nina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Relais Villa Nina Carate Urio, Lake Como, Italy