“Excellent Rustic Cusine”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ristorante il Rifugio - CLOSED

Ristorante il Rifugio
Cuisines: Italian, European, Soups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Sacile, Italy
“Excellent Rustic Cusine”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is one of our favorite places to eat in Italy. The location is out of the way and the view is spectacular. Every time we come here we are greeted with amazing service and most importantly incredible food with a rustic and local flair. Saturday night was our daughter's 17th birthday and this was the one place she choose to celebrate it. There was a very large group for dinner and we were a little worried about the food with such a large group. We had absolutely nothing to worry about. I had the the onion soup and then the trout - Superb - My husband had the Buckwheat Venison Ravioli and the Frico. I can honestly say everything on the menu is amazing. This is the perfect place for a romantic dinner or to celebrate a special occasion, but is also great just for a change of pace from the pizza culture in the valley. For the 4 of us with appetizer, wine and 2 dishes each it was very reasonable at 113 Euro. We are already looking forward to our next visit -

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank nonjay

Polcenigo, Italy
“Wonderful food”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Situated among the mountains above Budoia, the view is splendid. We were served outside on a wonderful evening. The food was seasonal and harvested locally. The wild game was delicious, and we were told to go with the chef's choice. Very good advice. The owner is the chef, and he didn't disappoint. The prices were reasonable and the service was friendly and charming.

Visited September 2012
Venice, Italy
“A Relaxing Enjoyable Meal”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I am pleased to report that a friend and I recently enjoyed a fabulous meal, on a picture perfect day, sitting on Il Rifugio's outdoor terrace. It's been a few years since I last visited Il Rifugio, as at the time, I found their menu becoming old, with little changes. This last meal won me back as a customer, and I'll be visiting them again in the near future.

Il Rifugio is not easy to find, nestled in the foothills of the pre Dolomite Mountains. Once you navigate your way through the small winding roads of Budoia, you simply continue straight on up the hill and the restaurant will be on your left. The setting is simply gorgeous and peaceful and, if the weather is nice, I highly recommend eating outdoors. I have eaten indoors during the winter months and a burning fireplace will keep you warm and add to the overall atmosphere. The cozy decorations and fine table settings are nice and the restaurant proudly displays a photograph of former U.S. President Clinton, when he dined at Il Rifugio.

My friend and I both enjoyed our meals. We started by sharing a mixed antipasto platter that featured a selection of 5-6 unique cured, wild game meats from the mountains (a wild boar "speck", salami made from venison (deer), lardo (lard) etc..) This is served with a nice basket of artisan breads, marinated chilled vegetables and horseradish (cren.)

For the main entree, I had the grilled lamb chops (scottadito) which were perfectly cooked and accompanied by crisp potatoes and sauteed vegetables. My friend had a venison steak which was cooked in a cabernet rosemary wine sauce. The meat was tasty and tender. For dessert we both had the dark chocolate pear tart which featured an excellent, buttery crust. A good espresso cafe, "corretto" with a splash of grappa, concluded our meal.

Il Rifugio has an adequate wine list and we enjoyed a nice bottle of Pinot Noir from the Friuli Collio hills which complimented this meal nicely. The service was provided by the owners, who are both knowledgeable about wines. My friend is a sommelier who "lightly" tested their knowledge of wines.

Another topic worthy of pointing out is that Il Rifugio takes advantage of whatever fruits and vegetables are in season, including special items on their menu. They are masters with wild mushrooms when in season! Il Rifugio is a little expensive; however the overall quality of food, service and atmosphere warrants these prices. Our meal, with the 38.00 Euro bottle of wine, totaled 113.00 Euro. I highly recommend Il Rifugio, expecially for special occasions, business entertaining and romantic dinners. You can visit their webpage at www.ilrifugio.net.

• Visited August 2012