“A Petone Favourite”

Ranked #12 of 144 Restaurants in Lower Hutt
Cuisines: Seafood, Cafe, New Zealand
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Adzuki Bean is the love bean. In ancient times, a man went away to war. His wife waited for him under a big tree on a high mountain. Till he returned, she missed him so much her flowing tears turned to blood. The bright blood drops became red seeds, and the seeds germinated and rooted, growing into a big tree full of red berries.Slowly the red berries on the big tree joined with the wife's heartache, to become heart-shaped - the Adzuki Bean, the most beautiful bean in the world. Hard as a diamond, red as blood, shaped like a pulsating heart, glittering and transparent, dazzling the eyes. In China, the Adzuki Bean is precious like jade, and signifies spirituality and luck. It can always bring good luck in love.Adzuki Bean Cafe & Restaurant wishes you the very best luck - in life as in love.
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I have been to this restaurant a number of times now and it never fails to impress. Friendly attentive service with excellent food. I love the Chicken Roulade. My friend had the salmon which she raved about. The lemon tart has excellent flavour and is a good size. From the outside looking in it would be easy to pass it by, but I strongly recommend this restaurant. I have been here with both small and large groups and have never been disappointed.

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful food, friendly staff.
Reasonably priced. Easy access.
Charming decor. I liked the explanation of the adjuki bean on
the wall of the restaurant , it was
a nice added touch.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I have been to Adzuki Bean many times, and still find it so surprising. The decor is nice enough, nothing fancy, but the food never ceases to amaze! This time I brought along my netball team (like most groups we appreciate the BYO factor) and everyone raved about how great the food was. Staff are helpful without being intrusive.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The restaurant was empty when we walked in at lunchtime which initially put me off, but I needn't have worried...
We were looking for somewhere with good cabinet food for a quick lunch, and this is certainly not the place for that. Our only options were menu food (which did look really good) and a toasted sandwich menu blackboard. Fortunately they make a really good toasted sammy! Lots of options and really nice bread. They had a good drinks menu too, Lots of quirky milkshake flavours!
The service we received was good and they were particularly attentive to our toddler, even making her a pint sized toasted sandwich to her tastes (really appreciated!)

1  Thank AmberH_NZ
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Fantastic service and the food is really top quality. I have been there for a coffee, for breakfast and dinner over the past few years and I have not been let down yet.

1  Thank 415Yyy