“Really good food at a good price”

Uncle Mike's Kansas City BBQ
Ranked #63 of 158 Restaurants in Lower Hutt
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Uncle Mike's is New Zealand's only authentic American BBQ restaurant. American BBQ features a 'low and slow' smoking process. After being seasoned with a special dry rub, meats are SMOKED from 4 to 14 hours, depending on the thickness of the meat, at low temperatures over apple wood, never boiled or baked. some of the meats have a pink finish, that is the "smoke ring". they are not raw. The smoked chicken, ribs and beef are juicy, tender and delicious, and unlike any other BBQ served in New Zealand, meat do not fall off bone. Our meats are then topped with Uncle Mike's home-made Kansas City BBQ Sauce which balanced between sweet and spicy. Note- the chicken will have a pink finish due to the smoking process. Note- the ribs will have a pink finish known as the smoke ring.
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We visited Uncle Mike's for dinner on a Saturday evening. Aside from a dodgy process for booking when you leave a message on the answer phone, but it doesn't seem to create a reservation (I followed up with a second call which was just as well because they did not have any record of a reservation for me).
The restaurant is clean tidy, and smells of the wonderful aromas of smoked BBQ food. Our meals we delivered promptly, and were really very good, the wings, ribs, pork chop, and burger were all full of flavour, and cooked nicely, not dry at all as a few others have reported here on tripadvisor.
Half a slab of pork ribs was more than enough for one person.
Really good food, service style is relaxed which suits the restaurant, and it is well priced, all in all good stuff, we'll return for sure.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

This is a review from several actual visits and then one attempted visit in August 2012.

The food here is pretty good and for the most part the service is good. But not always. We had a serious issue with leaving a message for a reservation and then a guy on the phone later.

First, the food: The ribs are to die for. A half serving is big enough. Trust me. The desserts are great and I'm told the other main meals are all pretty good. I never tried any, happy with ribs.

Second, the service: After leaving the message about 3pm (per their instructions on an answer machine) no one called back to confirm the reservation. We rang back about 5.30pm to confirm they received it, but no, they had no idea about it. There was yelling to see if anyone else knew what was going on. Apparently no one had any idea. We had eight people we needed a restaurant for and this did not impress.

We managed to somewhere else and ended up going there. We won't be back to Mike's. It's not rocket science to take a message and call someone back. However, in all fairness, the guy on the phone sounded a bit, well, thick.

Pointless waste of a good restaurant. Shame.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We came here in a large group after hearing about the awesome ribs. We started with the Wicked Good Wings with the hot Buffalo sauce. The sauce on these was awesome, but the wings were too small. For $20 this was not particularly great value. We followed this up with Curly Fries. While these were tasty, they weren't particularly curly and were a bit soggy....maybe we got the bottom of the bag?

For mains, some of us got the Traditional KC Pork Spare Ribs (full slab of course!). The serving size was huge and the sauce was again tasty. The meat was a little dry for my liking, however I appreciate this is the American way. Others had ordered the Kansas City Quacker. This was again huge. I had a small taste and it was succulent. Needless to say there were a lot of leftovers.

Dessert consisted of the Home-made Brownie. While this was delicious, I would have preferred a softer, warmer brownie with a richer chocolate sauce.

The service was friendly and helpful, but the staff appeared to be too rushed off their feet to be able to provide attentive service. We would have to call them over from their busy tasks whenever we needed anything.

In summary, the food was tasty, but didn't quite suite my tastebuds. However I am sure many people will love it.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Our friends were in dire need of baby back ribs BBQ style in Wellington and so we decided to drop by and have some for dinner.

When we arrived with no reservation, the wait staff told us we needed to wait for another hour as they were no tables for a party of five. This surprised us because there were many tables available and it looked like one or two could have been merged together to accommodate us. Nevertheless, we went to a local crepe place for a wee while and came back for dinner.

I had very high expectation for the ribs because it was highly rated and they proudly showed their certificate from TripAdvisor as one of the best local eateries. Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed at all. I ordered the classic half set of ribs and found it completely dry. I envisioned it to be succulent, moist and incredibly juicy; however was I experienced was overly dry and drenched with BBQ sauce. The ribs were so dry it stuck in between my teeth and I had to gnaw it off the bone in order to eat the flesh. It was accompanied with pork and beans, and fries, however only the latter was the highlight of my meal because I'm never really fond of the beans.

Despite being told to come back for dinner, the wait staff was friendly and the service was very prompt - maybe the fast service meant the ribs were cooked long ago and was only reheated? Who knows but I was very pleased with the service.

The food was the main downfall but their service redeemed them at the end - 3 stars.

Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Is this a chain restaurant? To say it's a "kansas" style BBQ restaurant you gotta have some big kohonas to back it up with. It was ok, I had a burger which if I'm honest you could have found at any run of the mill burger joint. Fries were lacking on the plate. For 4 people spending $200 NZ I was disappointed. And to top it all I was not allowed a plastic cowboy hat for me troubles! Would I go back again? No is the simple answer.