“Awesome Lodge and service aswell!”

and 1 more site!
Silverstream Retreat
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Lower Hutt
Reviewed August 28, 2011

The service I experienced when I arrived at 9:30pm was amazing, The manager George was friendly as could be and even though my booking was double booked at the last minute, he had no problem putting me up in a better room. Lucky me!
The room was amazing, huge lounge and bedroom and the kitchen with all the ammenities would have been perfect to cook in if I was only there a little longer.
Plus the additional and complimentary beverages and snacks were a welcome treat.
To me, it's the best value for money and relaxing place you will find in Wellington.
What a little hidden gem!
Thanks very much :)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
SilverstreamRetreat, Front Office Manager at Silverstream Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2011

Thank you for your lovely comments, it is always great to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay. We look forward to having you back to stay with again sometime soon!

Reviewed August 25, 2011

We stayed here last weekend. We did not find our 2 bed apartment as advertised. It is in fact a one bedroom with mezzanine floor that is not suitable for two couples sharing who require separate bedrooms. The ‘retreat’ looks more like a building site – see attached photo from our lounge window and several of the buildings are derelict. When we complained about the bedrooms, the man on reception suggested we check out. This was hardly what I call customer service! He claimed in 8 years this was the first complaint he had received, although when I challenged him he did admit that the rooms were usually booked by families, not 2 couples sharing. There were stains all over the lounge carpet, probably due to the fact there is no coffee table. No frying pan is supplied, when I asked for one as I was going to cook breakfast, I was informed that he wasn’t going to buy one for me! One was supplied a little later. Eventually he did agree to refund the cost of the second bedroom as our daughter and her boyfriend had not stayed as planned. They are both in the Army, based at Trentham and preferred to stay in barracks as they were more comfortable! The heating was totally inadequate for rooms with such high ceilings, the apartment took forever to get warm.

The only good feature was the bed, this was king size and very comfortable.

We will certainly not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank stonemob
SilverstreamRetreat, Manager at Silverstream Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2011

We are very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay. We have 20,000 people through our property every year, and the majority of our guests thoroughly enjoy their time here.

To date, we have spent over $5 million renovating the property. We have refurbished a large number of buildings including a new block of studio units which were completed earlier this year, each with underfloor heating and a heat pump.

Silverstream Retreat was an old Military Hospital which was built in WW2 by the American Army. The property was purchased in 1990 and since then our vision has flourished. A number of the old buildings have been lovingly restored, while some of the old buildings are being stripped of the native timbers which are being recycled to be used in our new buildings.

The majority of our guests are amazed at the progress on site, get caught up in our vision, and can envisage the end product. It was unfortunate that the construction of the other buildings on site was an issue in this instance.

Reviewed May 22, 2011

I run a Salvation Army Easter Camp at Silverstream retreat each year for up to 150 youth. The management and staff of the reatreat are great to work with and go out of their way to help you achieve the goals you've set for your camp or conference.

The facilities are very good with different spaces available depending on the activity you want to run. Very nice motel accommodation for leaders and guests, upgraded bunk rooms for the youth, sports field and bush for activities, and the key ingredient for any youth camp - excellent food!

The venue is easily accessable, just a couple of miniute off state highway 1, and yet has the feel of being out in the country right away from everything.

I have had the priviledge, or otherwise, of staying at many camps around New Zealand and overseas, but I would have to come back to Silverstream being my favourite.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I searched for a location that ticked all the boxes for me: home away from home, comfort, peace & quiet .... The nature of my visit was personal, I needed space to disconnect from work, life and just focus. I searched on the net, looking for a 'retreat' and I found it. From the onset, the staff were friendly, accommodating and professional - on my arrival, I returned to the hotel on a late wet evening, it was abysmal weather, I was driven through a small courtyard to my studio unit, many thanks to Mark... arriving as a drowned rat would not have set the tone for me... I was very spoilt). On entering the studio, the kitchen is right by the front door, 'pristine' was my first thought, you walk through to the centre of the open space of the lounge, its warmth is wonderfully welcoming, the decor is stunning - adding to the ambiance of this very inviting 'chateau' away from home - I loved it ... this was before I had even seen the bathroom, the balcony, king sized bed, wide screen telly - Wow! It ticked all the right boxes. There's an open storage space with various amenities: iron & ironing board, extra pillows, duvets. I organized breakfast for one of the days I would be there, I was not disappointed. Retreat means different things to different people - this wonderful place fit the bill for me on so many levels.

Extra: I also want to add, I discovered this retreat had so many other facilities on site, camp grounds for kids, its worth checking this out on their website, This weekend visit took me away from my own church in Auckland, I was pleasantly surprised to discover, church services were held onsite - its purely optional. It was awesome.

The beautiful setting of this place is the tonic for the tired traveller who just wants some space to breathe - you need only to come here once to be convinced.

Thanks very much to Graham, Mark & Philippa - I had an wonderful time, definitely recommend your place, hope to see you all in the near future! Cheers Tua

Room Tip: Your bed is not next to the neighbours bed - Yikes
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank TuaW
Reviewed March 10, 2011

This venue was used for a family wedding. The motel was fine but over-priced with small details lacking that you would find in a similar priced unit else-where. Lighting outside to get from wedding venue to motels was non-existent.
As for the Wedding, the Event Manager was invisiable most of the time and when he did appear he was rude and arrogant. Their business practice's were incompetent with no final invoice available on the final day leading to a saga that was upsetting to the family especially to the bride and groom.
All and all their business side of the venue needs to be seriously looked at ,but the venue does have things going for it.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank chrissy5628
Reviewed February 13, 2010

Whilst this venue has the potential for a great place to stay, and what has been done so far has been done well, it has a long way to go. The room was comfortable but there was limited parking outside units and muddy walks from vehicle to room. The bedding was a bit musty, but the bed very comfiortable. We were unable to get into our room on our arrival and felt very sorry for the young receptionist who did her best to handle an awkward situation not of her making, but it was made more difficult by a rude 'manager' who treated her in what can only be described as an arrogant and aggressive manner. Not once did he speak with us, the customers. Unforgiveable and totally unprofessional. We had less than 30 minutes in which to shower and dress for the wedding, once we were able to get in. At $180 a night, it is priced at the top end of the market and in our opinion certainly not worth it. Having said that, the actual Wedding and Reception was well done and service good. This was all handled by the Events Manager and was great.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TrannyGranny
Reviewed August 2, 2009

We found it very hard to get accomodation in Upper Hutt where we were visiting friends. After loads of searching I finally found this place, and was very surprised! It is in between Upper & Lower Hutt, and about 30mins from central Wellington. I think it is an old army training depot that is in the process of being transformed into a multi-use venue. They do weddings, large conferences, and school camps too.

Anyhow, we wanted to use their motel accomodation which is really good. They have converted old buildings into motel rooms - ours with a bedroom, and a loft bedroom. They have completely renovated these buildings - new cladding, new roof etc. But also they utilised a lot of recycled timber (I presume from the original building) which we love, they are very spacious (vaulted ceilings), modern and reasonably priced.

The area around the motel room itself has been done up as well, but the buildings along side not yet. It's a bit of a mish-mash of old (and run-down) and new. So it's a bit strange in that aspect, but the rooms more than make up for it. All the motel units overlook the Hutt River and have a little deck outside which we never used as the weather was atrocious! Staff were very friendly, reception area is another very lovely designed area, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in Upper Hutt
Green Gables Motel
Green Gables Motel
#4 of 14 in Lower Hutt

Been to Silverstream Retreat? Share your experiences!