“Check if there's a chef in the house or bring your own food!”

Roemskog Spa & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Romskog
Norway
“Check if there's a chef in the house or bring your own food!”
Reviewed August 27, 2011

This hotel has changed hands relatively recently and re-opened under the new name Romskog Spa & Resort in March 2011. After having looked at their website, we decided to go there for an internal seminar with work.

The location is very remote but beautiful and the hotel rooms nice and clean. However, the hotel claims to be a good place for conferences but failed to inform us that we would not be able to use mobiles using the NetCom network (one of the major networks in Norway), which meant that several of us had difficulties coping with work-related tasks we should have dealt with whilst there. Their wireless network was not available for Mac users, and neither did they have plugs to attach macs to the projector.

BUT the absolute worst was the food. On their website they talk about providing a "memorable food experience". This must be one of the important selling features for such a remote hotel and especially as their prices are relatively high. Unfortunately, the food turned out to be memorable, but for all the wrong reasons. The three course dinner we had was barely edible and the poor waitress apologized profusely towards the end of the nightmare dinner and offered us a glass of dessert wine for free with our tasteless and partly still frozen dessert as compensation. Breakfast was no more than ok with quite a small selection and lunch our second day was a joke - especially compared to the prices charged. The hotel had only about 20-25 guest, so they cannot blame it on the rush...

The absolute worst though was that I sent the hotel director a polite e-mail after the stay pointing out the things we were not happy about. In his reply, he was profusely apologetic, especially about the food. A few days later we got the invoice from our stay and to my surprise they had charged us the full amount. I contacted the director and said I was surprised to get a full bill when he himself had admitted we had not got what we could expect. His reply was that he had apologized and could not see that he had promised us a rebate!!!!! To me it is fairly obvious that you do not charge for services not rendered, but after a bit of discussion he grudgingly gave us a bit of a discount.

I think it is very sad that they do not understand the importance of good costumer service and good food to survive in this business. With the remote location, they cannot afford this kind of unprofessionalism.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on pilars out in the lake to the right of the reception
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
11 Thank Oslo2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cologne
Reviewed November 19, 2009

I wanted to spend a weekend in the total country side and still enjoy all the facilities of a modern hotel. And the Zen Resort & Spa south east and about a 1 1/2 hour drive from Oslo offers all of that and so much more. Located in the middle of a forest on the shore of a beautiful lake. Almost all the rooms and suits have a splendid lake view, big flat screen TV with international Channels and Wireless Lan. The gym is equipped with all you need for exercising. And picture this: While running on the treadmill you have lake view! On my second day I preferred the wonderful paths close to the Resort for a walk around the lake and a run through the woods. The Spa with its big indoor pool and outdoor warm tub, sauna, Turkish and Japanese bath leave nothing to desire. I was very satisfied with the two treatments I received in the Spa (Classic Massage and Ayurvedic Yoga Massage). The food is very well balanced, international and a wonderful example that healthy food can still be very delicious. They even offer classes in Japanese Zen Archery in their magnificent Dojo with full front view to the lake and free meditation classes and a 1 hour Zen Introduction. Included are even free morning classes in Yoga, Tai Chi or Chi Gong. I will definitely come back.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
London
Reviewed November 15, 2009

An amazing 5 star resort with a feeling of being at home. The silence is compelling; a chance to recharge my batteries amongst breathtaking vistas of nature while 'chilling' out in the Japanese hot bath over looking the lake. Must be seen to be believed. And the food....!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed November 8, 2009

For me, this is the best place to relax, and at the same time be engaged by the many different activitys arranged by the Hotel (no charge).The staff are very serviceminded When arriving you receive a kimono, bag and slippers, this keeps the relaxing atmosphere at a stage where you don´t have to think about dressing kode.
Excellent gourmet vegetarian food.
I could keep on, but just want to say that I have been there 6 times since I heard about the place(,") Make yourself happy - visit Zen Resort & Spa ;-D

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Roemskog Spa & Resort? Share your experiences!