“Christmas Trip 2013”

Ranked #6 of 7 Busseto B&B and Inns
Paris, France
“Christmas Trip 2013”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Found this hotel at the last minute as the last stop on our way back to Paris.

What a find, beautiful hotel dating from the sixties but with a much "older look" very comfortable room, and no problem in accepting our Golden Retriever.

We were the only guests in the hotel that night as they were approaching a shutdown for two weeks, but the owner could not have been more welcoming.

After a refreshing shower and an equally refreshing Spritze Aperetif (or two) , we enjoyed what can only be described as one of the best dining experiences of my life (so far) the menu was completely available and the wine list extensive, as one of two couples dining that evening we had a wonderful experience.

Breakfast was copious and inviting and the whole experience was one which I would wish to repeat over and over.

Great spot for discovering Verdi and the surrounding environs

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This hotel is fabulous. It is owned by the legendary operatic Tenor Carlo Bergonzi and managed by his son. It is like stepping back in time . Rooms are very comfortable and spacious. The rooms on the front overlook the square and have balconies. It is a beautiful rustic experience. The service is excellent and the restaurant is just incredible. The hotel reminds of almost being on an operatic set. You get the true flavor of Italy and if you are lucky you will get to meet one of the greatest Verdian operatic tenors of all time. the great Carlo Bergonzi. Pavarotti, Tebaldi and many other greats have stayed here. Bergonzi workes with his students here It is an experience unlike any other in Italy.

Room Tip: They do not have an elevator. That is the only drawback. You will have to carry your luggae up the s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank warrendso
London
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I loved staying here, even for only a single night on business. Time stopped. I Due Foscari is genuinely charming, a quiet and calm hotel where the beds are firm and comfortable, and the lack of wi-fi vibes ensure a seriously good night's deep rest in this peaceful country town. I suppose the hotel's restaurant helped, where the food was beautifully prepared, un-elaborate yet seriously delicious. Service was impeccable. Breakfast was simple, fresh and good. Seriously good value too. I would come back here on holiday with my family and friends in a flash, but for one major fly in the ointment...

I was here to research a film on the various sites related to Verdi - the town's famous composer. The hotel booked me a cab to take me to the various locations, but it transpired that Busseto has only one cab. Be warned, the driver is a crook of the first order. I have travelled the world to some pretty extreme locations, but this guy in Busseto is bad news. He refused to accept a series of short single jobs through the morning, saying that he might be hired by someone else if I didn't take him for a whole 5 hour period. So I reluctantly agreed, and we settled on a price, though he refused to shake on it. At my second location he hurried me after only an hour saying that he had to collect his son from school. Both locations were too far to walk from Busseto so I was compelled to leave before my work was finished. To cap it all, at the end he refused to give me a receipt for the job, accepting my cash but demanding an extra 30 Euros to issue a formal receipt.

So, I Due Foscari is a beautiful hotel, but wIthout a hire car you are at this guy's mercy. He reinforces the old image of the slippery, greedy Italian, only out for himself. Busseto is charming, but their only taxi driver brings the whole town into disrepute. I am unlikely to return.

Room Tip: Most front rooms have a small balcony overlooking the quiet street/gardens. Room 4 is on a corner so...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank cuvee63
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed November 1, 2012

As an opera lover and Verdi freak, I was interested in getting to know the quiet charming little town of Il Maestro's childhood. So for me staying at this little hotel with its antique furnishings and rooms where famous opera stars have slept on their visits to Busseto was a truly exquisite experience. I have to confess that one of the big draws when I was booking the place was the excellent restaurant and impressive wine list. Let me tell you that the 1000 item wine list is no idle boast (plus the single malt whisky collection they have, which I am sure is unrivalled in Italy!), and the evening meal we had was sensational! That added to the exquisite experience! I have read the mixed reviews that I Due Foscari has received, and have to say that personally we experienced none of the problems that others have reported. The location of the hotel is excellent, just a few steps away from the theatre in a charming little square. So restful and quiet! But of course, if you don't like older hotels and you absolutely need wifi and to connect all kinds of electrical gadgets in your room, forget it. Don't go to Busseto, stay in Milan.

Room Tip: Room number 6 just up the stairs was great!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed October 9, 2012

As Opera lovers, specially the Verdi Opera´s, it was a must to visit Busseto and a wish of our 10 years old daughter. To choose a Hotel wasn´t so difficult and if you have a look on the homepage and look at the pictures you should not be surprised to find an realy old styled hotel..
I cant say it was dusty, the only thing what wasn´t so nice has been the aircondition, what isnt sooo good working at over 33degree outside.. The Breakfast isn´t something very exclusive, thats true, but in summer, to sit outside in this place is wonderful to start the day - but still you could go and have breakfast somewhere else.
The old furnitures, pictures and everything, matched our visit exactly and you could somehow feel to be in Verdi´s hometown.
The best: The Restaurant! It was delicious, we just have let recommend something and waited, we all loved it (kids 8 and 10) and the vine was perfectly chosen along with it. Thank you :-)
So, many, many points to the ambiente.
The Service was nice and helpful, the price what they ve told us befor...
We would come back maybe on a cooler day.

Room Tip: activitys for kids? sorry, it seems not to be a real kids hotel :-) Our kids loved it..
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Familie A
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I have not stayed here, but I've eaten here several times and have never been disappointed. The atmosphere is lovely and the food is very good. On several occasions I have seen the famous operatic tenor Carlo Bergonzi dining here with what appears to be a group of his students. I think he may own the place, but if not he is at least a frequent patron. I don't know why this is not listed as a restaurant; it should be.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BobConklin
Milan, Italy
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I am surprised not to see this place not listed under "Busseto restaurants" in TripAdvisor. Historical location, spacious dining room with few well-furnished tables with privacy, wonderful executions of regional dishes, such as e.g. the anolini, the trippa or the sacrao (the local version of the choucroute, only better); a handful of beautifully decorated interesting desserts. The wine list is thick and will satisfy all tastes, although it suffers from a slight inclination toward famous and expensive wines (but with a few gems here and there). Vino della casa is dependable and cheap (a good Gutturnio). Overall, excellent value for your money.

Room Tip: I did not evaluate or use the hotel. Just the restaurant
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Busseto
Palazzo Calvi
#2 of 7 in Busseto
B&B Il Pavone
B&B Il Pavone
#3 of 7 in Busseto

Been to I Due Foscari? Share your experiences!