“Simply the Best ...”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Nea Skioni
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Simply the Best ...”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

What can I say but Superb!

I booked this resort with Neilson as I quite fancied a holiday with a little something going on, I'm not a 'sit by the pool all day' sort of person, but didn't want to rely on excursions to do something a little different. I was not disappointed.

Having read some of the reviews on here I was a little apprehensive, 'pool bar dirty', 'young unqualified people running the resort', 'food not good', oh I could go on... Nonsense, all of it. The 'young people' were having the time of their lives looking after the guests and had such enthusiasm to get everyone involved (but not pushy!), it was a joy to see, and let me tell you they were very professional, worked very, very hard, with long hours, but always had a smile for you.

The activities were as active or as relaxing as you wanted them to be. I took part in the Laser racing, Tennis coaching, Water Polo, Spa, Aqua, and all that went with it, and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. Yes things could have been better, George Clooney and Daniel Craig could have been serving cocktails in 'those' trunks, but that's just being picky! (Would have been nice though ...)

The food was plentiful and varied, and the staff were very attentive, for those who commented on this site of having to wait for drinks, I've dined in some of the finest restaurants in the UK and Europe, and at times I've had to wait for drinks, but never lost any sleep over it. If this is the only thing people can find to complain about they maybe need to get a life!

Emma was especially good, and attended to us with a lovely smile every day, and went out of her way to make sure we were enjoying our holiday, as did all the staff working there. Collette couldn't have been more helpful, and was always there to keep things running smoothly. The bar staff always had a good giggle at the antics going on around the pool, especially when Holly was putting us through our paces in the Aqua! Great fun!

Being out on the water and getting such good tuition on the Laser was fantastic, I never managed to be fully competent, but boy can I correct an upturned boat with ease now! Never laughed so much ...

As for the Tennis, I couldn't believe how much I learned in such a short space of time, I even won a volley tournament ... Me, blimey how surprised was I!

All the activities were being photographed by 2 fantastic photographers, both of who I found to be extremely professional and took the most amazing shots I have seen! Joe was an absolute joy to chat to, and took some great action shots of the guys out on the water. I booked a photoshoot session with Connor who took absolutely stunning shots, my Grandmother cried when she saw them they were so beautiful! He really caught the light of those sunsets, and actually made me look quite good (not easy). He'll go far, and I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the next Lord Lichfield!

We booked the full board package, and was so glad we did, the Greek night was such a giggle and the food fantastic, again. Watching Mama Mia under the stars enjoying a few cocktails was such a relaxing way to end the day too.

So, try as I might I couldn't find fault with anything, maybe there was something there that wasn't perfect, but given how much the staff there made the holiday fun, exciting, and an absolute joy, I wouldn't have cared anyway.

It's a shame the resort is closing, but I'm led to believe the new resort in Kalamata is to be the Anastasia replacement, I'll look forward to catching up with them all again over there next year!

Great time, and happy memories ...

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, it really makes a difference ... Stunning sunsets!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Marcon1430

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Normally avoiding package holidays we approached this with a bit of trepidation BUT what a treat. BA flight, the food was very good and the accommodation very comfortable. The staff although mostly kids obviously enjoying a summer in Greece were friendly and efficient even the entertainment was good and enjoyable. A lot of activities, free, to keep even the most restless soul happy. Although this resort won't be part of Neilson next year we will definitely book again at one of the others.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris C
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed at the Anastasia 31st Aug, for a week whilst doing our competent crew course. Pleasenty surprised, everything better then I expected. rooms nice, food good, staff and service excellent! Training on comp crew course by John outstanding. Activities at the resort seemed fabulous although we didn't have time to participate much. Shame Neilson are moving from this resort, would be happy to return. Really impressed with Neilson activity holidays would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Seaview room great, I would recommend the platinum package also
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeanette C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is the first holiday of my life that I cannot find one single fault with!

Everything was really good from the food, the hotel to the activities. Great value and also flew with BA.

We had a perfect time and I highly recommend this holiday! You won't regret it!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Thomas Cook

1 Thank bugsymalone42
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My family and I have been going on holiday with Neilson to their resorts for over 20 years. We all get something out of these holidays... whether we choose to fill our days with mountain biking and sailing or just lazing by the beach with a good book. That's the beauty of Neilson Beachclub and we'd recommend them to anyone. This year we visited the Anastasia for the third time since Neilson took it on. As other reviews mention, there are a few signs of age but it's still a great holiday spot and a beautiful and relaxing place to be. We found that the standard of food wasn't as high this time as it has been there in previous years but it was still pretty good and very plentiful. The full board upgrade was a good option and that menu was lovely.
Our special thanks have to go to the ski team who were marvellous, to the bike guides likewise and to the guys who ran the pool bar who were great fun. We loved our last time at the Anastasia ...thanks for making it special!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank pulcinella05
London
Reviewed September 3, 2013

First Neilson for wife and I with 12 year old son

Was recommended by some friends and glad they did --

Difficult to fault really - Food very varied and excellent - Staff and facilities / coaching etc excellent - Standard of rooms / 'resort' all excellent

Son who is quite sporty has decided it was his favourite holiday ever -- There is something for everyone - and we all like Greece as a location

We will likely be back with Neilson

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Thomas Cook

1 Thank applekirk
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We really enjoyed our holiday and the hotel did really look after us. The food was good and the restaurant team were excellent. However Neilson do have a way to go before they are excellent. They are great at apologising when things go wrong, and they go wrong often. What would be better would be if they got things right the first time. They rely heavily on "Blair's children" to provide the service but as their customers tend to be "Thatcher's children" this does not always work. However we did experience possibly the most heroic piece of thoughtful and wonderful service we have seen in years - well done Jack, aka Pork Chop, you are a going to be very successful.

Room Tip: Always go for a sea view and if you can one of the suites. Best hotel room we have had in years.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Alia Palace Hotel
Alia Palace Hotel
#3 of 19 in Pefkohori
Simantro Beach Hotel

Been to Xenios Anastasia Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!