“Ruined by rowdy wedding party” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mottram Hall

Mottram Hall
UK
“Ruined by rowdy wedding party”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

It's clear that weddings bring in big money for De Vere but they also can be a nightmare if you're just an 'ordinary' guest.
On Sunday night, 15th September, our sleep was shattered by drunken loutish behaviour by so many people it was an out and out disgrace.
I finally lost my cool at 3.30am when a drunk was banging on the room next door and shouting to be let in.
I opened my door and told him he should 'go elsewhere'. He just bleated that he wanted to be let in. I suggested again that he might find somewhere else to be.
When he was finally let in he and his mates in the room were then shouting and laughing for another hour before they, and us, finally got some sleep.
When I mentioned it to reception the girl said that we weren't the only ones to complain and that we really should have let reception know at the time as they would have done something about it.
Clearly that was garbage as if others had complained then they had been ignored as nothing at all was done to prevent the racket that had been going on for the best part of two hours.

The breakfast the following morning was one of rubber bacon and even more rubbery scrambled eggs... most likely laid by rubber chickens.
The revellers were also there in abundance looking completely at home shouting across the restaurant to each other.

The second night was better... must have been a better class of wedding!

The bedrooms were badly lit, bathrooms even worse. One small window - we did manage to avoid the rooms at the back overlooking the service area, but in hindsight maybe we'd have been better off there!
The bed was just a standard double - they do try and punt upgrades to you when you arrive though.

We won't be going back to any De Vere hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear BaggyCat,

Thank you so much for your constructive feedback following your recent stay with us at De Vere Mottram Hall,

It is quite clear to see that certain aspects of your stay were not to the correct standards, we would very much like to talk to you regarding these so that we can gain a further understanding of what happened and to ensure that we put actions in place to prevent them from happening within the future.

We would like to request that you contact Thomas Starey within our Guest Relations team at your earliest convenience; you can contact Thomas via email tom.starey@devere-hotels.com

James Stewart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed for a friends wedding in September. Where do I start... Well, first of all we were met in the car park by a stretched Golf buggy to take us to reception ... That was fanstatic for us and my little girl loved it.
We went to the bar as we were 20 minutes early for the ceremony, only to be met by a large number of people waiting to be served by 1 person. We didnt get a drink as I waited for 15 minutes then had to go through to the main room for the ceremony. Not a good start. After the ceremony we went to get another drink and I waited again for 15 minutes to get a glass of HOUSE white wine and be charged £10.. I nearly fell over. It was not a nice wine at all. The rest of the day was great as we were with the wedding party. The food was very good also. We were told that the hotel had recently undergone a major refurishment so we were looking forward to seeing our room, at a cost of £186 per night...
I was bitterly dissapointed when we got there. My daughter slept in an arm chair that was made into a bed with the springs peeping through although I had asked for a rollaway bed which I was charged £20 for... Very Uncomfortable.
The door had a space for a lock but it was missing, The door closer had its case hanging off and the bathroom door looked as though it had been painted by someone with visual impairment. (see pics)

The sleep was OK but very noisy, which to be fair was expected as there was a wedding on, a hen party staying as well as a boxer and his entourage .
When we went for breakfast the appaling service raised its head again. We waited 10 minutes to be seated. We ordered some tea and coffee only to have to remond the waitress 12 minutes later. When I went up to the breakfast servery there were no glasses for the juice, when I asked for some from a member of staff I was given a look of utter disgust and ignored... The food again was good although I did not touch the sauasge as they appeared not to be cooked however my daughter tried one and had half. she was then sick in the car driving home forcing us to stop and buy a new car seat....

The wedding was fabulous, the function room was lovely. The service was appaling and the value was non exsitant. Never in a million years is this a 4 star hotel. SERVICE, SERVICE, SERVICE...

Room Tip: I cannot tell you which to get but do not expect much..
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear NickRobinson,

Leigh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Very poor.too many negatives.no management.think de vere know this but dont care.if you like decent good value and service give this one a miss.james Stewart says the same thing over and over again but can't argue with so many complaints.

Room Tip: Check position before committing to book.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Cliff C,

newcastle-under-lyme
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

We last visited this hotel in 1995, so it was a long time coming!
We visited this hotel for just one night as a birthday celebration for my wife. We booked a Chambre Unique room which was located at the rear of the hotel backing on to the lake. This also gave us a patio doors on to a patio area. The room location was beautiful, and if you get the weather it is lovely sitting out. The room wasn't huge but I was aware that it wouldn't be. We didn't want to pay a lot extra for a suite. I would have preferred a larger room but a suite was much dearer. The room was smart and we had ESPA toiletries and other fancy extras that made the stay that little bit more special.
During the day we used the pool and Alfresco Thermospace facilities. Wow. The refurbished facilities are fantastic. Top spec on everything. It was very quiet in there and we really enjoyed it. My wife doesn't usually enjoy swimming but she really enjoyed the pool.
In the evening we had booked a three course package which was lovely. I was especially impressed with Kim, the Carrington Grill Shift Leader. She managed to make our evening extra special. She and her staff provided excellent service (Radek was very polite and friendly). The food was excellent, and the service was exceptional. We followed on to the Cocktail lounge and again the two lads (Bobby and Zack I think) there were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
Breakfast again was fab. Lovely choice of food and service was again good. Buffet style but there were lovely little extras such as hams and cheeses and smoked mackerel. And the fruit choice was beautiful. We didn't need lunch!
All in all we really enjoyed the day. We were made to feel special and although it wasn't particularly cheap, we really enjoyed it. We will be hopefully be returning in the near future.

Room Tip: Rear facing room backing on to the lake is the perfect position. Ideally ground floor gives you pati...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Potters21,

Thank you for your very kind feedback regarding your recent stay with us at De Vere Mottram Hall,

Thank you for returning back to Mottram Hall, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your second stay with us and approve of the refurbishment. I can imagine that a lot has changed since you last stayed with us in 1995. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to all the team especially Kim within the Carrington Grill for her superb service.

Thank you once again for your great feedback; we would be delighted to welcome you back to Mottram Hall within the near future for some more refreshingly unique moments.

Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

My girlfriend and I had a two night stay at Mottram Hall in August 2013, very high standard of service, room was very clean and spacious. We didn't have an evening meal on site but did have a few drinks in the bar and breakfast was also fantastic. I would highly recommend this Hotel for a top class stay! 5stars!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael K
Dear Michael K,

Thank you for your fantastic feedback following your recent stay with us, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves, I hope that next time you dine with us within our new restaurant.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed a fantastic family Sunday lunch at Mottram Hall last Sunday. The food and service was excellent at this beautiful location.
We will definitely go again. Would have no hesitation in recommending

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank coronation186356
Dear Coronation186356,

Thank you for visiting us for Sunday Lunch within our Carrington Grill, I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves and would return again.

newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Me and my partner stayed here on the 10th and 11th of september and paid £99 each per night and received x3 course dinner, bnb, afternoon tea and 1 hour massage each day. Fantastic for money! I have also stayed in some beautiful hotels and am very fussy also but would highly recommend this hotel to everyone, we will be going home to tell all our friends and if in the area again we will definately return. The staff are very attentive and polite. Hotel decor is beautiful modern and looks very expensive. When we arrived we were given a free upgrade for both nights. The room was full with starbucks coffee, tea, sweets, water, snacks and expensive ESPA toiletries. Room was immaculate but a little noisy in corridor but what corridor isnt? Had sky tv. Robes and slippers. When we were there we were told by gym members that is has just been renovated and boy could you tell. The spa is a must and outdoor thermal spa facilities are out of this world! ( I am a therapist myself and would put this spa at the top of my list to return to. Music around pool is very relaxing. Girls in spa lovely also. The only thing I would say is that when in the Carrington grill that staff should not turn music off at 9.45 when our table was booked at 8.30 makes you feel rather uncomfortable. I had steak the first night and told the girl there was to much fat on it and nothing was done about it. But having been given a £30 meal allowance with my package I couldnt really complain. Afternoon tea was lovely situated within the cocktail lounge. Drinks are also reasonably priced a pint being £4 and wine £5. Restaurant on first night was a little warm but fine when I took my cardi off. (From review below fans I think are an overstatment)

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Lauz1988,

Thank you for staying with us at Mottram Hall, I am delighted to here that you thoroughly enjoyed your Chambre Unique room filled with all those wonderful little extra’s. Thank you for your valuable feedback following your meal with us in our Carrington grill, your feedback will help us improve our food and service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mottram St. Andrew
The Midland
The Midland
#15 of 115 in Manchester
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,683 reviews

Been to Mottram Hall? Share your experiences!