“Staff make this hotel”

Mottram Hall
Llanfairfechan, United Kingdom
“Staff make this hotel”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We returned to Mottram having stayed prior to the refurb completion in 2012. We were warmly greeted by Abby on reception, she was very helpful throughout our stay. We had a snack in the cocktail bar on our first night and we were looked after by Phil who was very charmimg and pleasant.
We had a meal in the Carrington on our second evening, sorry Mottram but you still have not got the dining experience right, we were not overly impressed with either the a la carte or set menu, we felt both were expensive and could not understand the marriage of some of the dishes.....belly pork and crab??? but Marie was extremely helpful and apologetic. The breakfast is average, although good choice the food is at best luke warm!
We had dealt with Simon, as 20 ladies will be visiting Mottram next February and he has been extremely efficient and was able to organise an extra night for us in an upgraded room, thank you, our one night became three nights away.
The spa complex has to be experienced, absolutely fantastic, the outdoor jacuzzi is a must and the facilities on offer are excellent, the leisure staff we met were very helpful, looking forward to some treatments when I return in 2014!!
We did speak to Matt the resident manager and he explained that they were aware of certain issues........please please get the food in the Carrington sorted as to us it continues to let the hotel down, which is such a shame because your staff work very hard to ensure guests are made to feel welcome. Whilst we were there there were large groups staying on expenses so perhaps as they are not paying they don't complain, after all it is not their money.

Room Tip: If you can afford the extra book a suite!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear LindaWyn,

Thank you for your very kind feedback regarding your recent stay with us at De Vere Mottram Hall,

Thank you for returning back to Mottram Hall, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your second stay with us and I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback regarding the food within the Carrington Grill. We are making big changes within our Carrington grill and I am confident that the problems which you experienced will be resolved in due course.

Thank you once again for your great feedback; we would be delighted to welcome you back to Mottram Hall within the near future for some more refreshingly unique moments.

James Stewart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed the last weekend of August with some friends on a weekend trip booked through spabreaks.com. We arrived very early to make the most of the day and left our luggage with concierge and went through to the spa. What a fantastic place - they have really spent money on it, and it certainly shows. We spent the entire day using the facilities, and we each had an amazing ESPA "hero" treatment whcih involves a back, neck & shoulder massage and a 1 hour facial. Thoroughly relaxed, we checked into our rooms and got ready for dinner. We went down to the bar early, and had a delicious cocktail. Dinner was the only disappointment, the food choice wasnt great and the service was poor. I wont say anymore on this on this forum, as our complaint was dealt with very efficiently. We had another drink in the bar and then retired to our very comfortable rooms. The next morning we got up and had an early swim before heading to breakfast. Although busy, the staff seemed in control and the food was hot and plentiful. All in all a great stay, and we will definately return. The spa is most definately the crowning jewel!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Meg242008,

Thank you for staying with us at Mottram Hall, I am delighted to here that you thoroughly enjoyed your ESPA hero treatment. Thank you for your valuable feedback following your meal with us in our Carrington grill, your feedback has helped us improve our food and service.

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at Mottram Hall on the 6th September and after booking in May, we were really looking forward to the stay. What a disappointment...And this review comes from someone who travels most weeks as part of my job, so I have stayed in a number of beautiful hotels. I normally laugh at some trip advisor reviews, thinking that people are so picky about things, but i can honestly say I would not return to Mottram Hall...

The room we booked was tiny. So small that you could barely scrap past the end of the best and the desk to actually get in to the room, let alone get your bag in the room. There is NO air conditioning in the rooms - and we were in the new part. The amount of mould growing around the bath was disguisting, and the seal was hanging off the shower, meaning the shower door wouldnt close. The toilet roll holder was also so close to the toilet that you had to lift your left arm to sit down!

At 7.30am, the room next door put their TV on, and wow, did we know about it. The TV was on the wall where our bed head was. What bad planning. From 7.30am, we were both wide awake listening word for word to the breakfast news. When the TV was turned off, we were able to listen freely to their conversation!

Breakfast... well... after waiting 20 mins for a table, asked 3 times if we wanted tea or coffee - yes we do, but can you bring it rather than keep asking?.... and eating a breakfast which was no more special than at a Premier Lodge.... in a room so hot, people are sat fanning themselves... we were ready to leave.

I would not stay here again. I even wrote to the hotel before I wrote this review, and the response.. a standard pre-wrote email about "if we were to book again the experience would be different." Would it really? I think that the Premier Inn 1mile down the road would be my choice next time. If you are thinking of staying here, please re-think. A lot of money for not a lot in return. There are much nicer, less expensive hotels in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BettyMoos
Dear BettyMoos,

Thank you so much for your constructive feedback following your recent stay with us at De Vere Mottram Hall,

It is quite clear to see that certain aspects of your stay were not to the correct standards, we would very much like to talk to you regarding these so that we can gain a further understanding of what happened and to ensure that we put actions in place to prevent them from happening within the future.

We would like to request that you contact Thomas Starey within our Guest Relations team at your earliest convenience; you can contact Thomas via email tom.starey@devere-hotels.com
Once again thank you for your feedback,

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

we stayed for one night bed, breakfast and evening meal, added to this was 2 rounds of golf on their championship course.
the accommodation was good, evening meal was very good, service from the waiting staff was considerate and friendly, same as the rest of the hotel staff, you were made to feel welcome.
The golf course itself was in excellent condition, initial thoughts on the Friday afternoon was that we were going to be in for a 5 hour round but speed of play picked up on the second nine and was ok, course itself is testing and interesting, if you're an average golfer be prepared to loose a few balls, and take plenty with you, the pro shop is well stocked but as with most resort facilities prices are expensive.
but all this for £120 we considered we had a bargain and will look to book again next year, hopefully De Vere will be running similar offers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear swo781g,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us.

It is fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your visit to us; the course can be very challenging but enjoyable.

I am delighted to hear that we will be welcoming you back again next year. We look forward to seeing you then. For the best prices, please do not hesitate to contact dmh.sales@devere-hotels.com who will be happy to quote you.

Stockport
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My son and his lovely bride held their afternoon and evening wedding reception here 30/8/13. It was exceptional. The whole event ran smoothly from start to finish. The guests all received a warm welcome, we were offered immediate assistance with our cases in the car park we were welcomed at the door and directed by warm friendly helpful staff. The champagne reception was excellent whilst the bride and groom were having their photos taken. The toastmaster Peter was lovely, very professional, took the time to know who was who so he could address us all personally for photos and indeed the whole proceedings. The food and wine selection was exactly as chosen , the food was hot when delivered to all tables, it was well presented and perfectly cooked. Special attention had been adhered to for children and vegetarians. The whole day ran smoothly aided again by Peter the toastmaster. The evening reception, disco and barbecue buffet were fabulous. Nothing was too much trouble for anyone. Many of the guests stayed over for one or 2 nights. As parents of the groom our room was fabulous, clean and comfortable for the small amount of time we spent in there. Some of the guests were a little less happy about their rooms which was disappointing but does not reflect our overall view of the event and facilities in general. Breakfast time was extremely busy with a large queue forming as we were leaving but overall It was a wonderful couple of days enjoyed by everyone who attended we couldn't have asked for anything more.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sue S
Dear Sue S,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to tripadvisor about your recent visit.

I am delighted to hear that your Son and his new wife enjoyed their special day with us and that the wedding party did as well. Our team put their upmost effort into ensuring that the wedding’s we host run smoothly and effortlessly. It is nice to hear that the team have ensured that this was the case.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Please pass on my congratulations to your Son and Daughter in Law.

UK
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I arrived at Mottram Hall after a 3.5 hour drive, and was keen to relax. Upon check in, everything was great - helpful staff, no issues. I popped to the gym (which is fantastic) and then went back to my room to have a shower and some food. It was not about 8.30pm so I was tired and hungry, and had some work to do for a big meeting the following day. Once back in my room I realised the door did not lock. The actual metal inner was bent back. I called down to reception, and someone came up to have a look. 15 mins later he was back with a screw to try and fix the problem. All the while I am soaking wet from using the gym, and getting hungrier! After trying to fix the door, he actually made things worse (not his fault) and the door would not even close. By this point I was desperate to get in the shower but had to wait for reception to move me. After another 15 mins and a phonce call down to reception to chase, I was advised someone would be up with a complementary drink and to help me move rooms. At this point I would like to note that I specifically requested a "quiet" room when booking.. I was moved a few doors down and the room looked out onto the kitchen extractor fan. I went down ro reception and asked for a quiet room as per my booking, as was assured the next room I was moving to was very quiet.By now it was 9.30pm, so I was fed up and just wanted to shower and order room service. This arrived promptly, and was very tasty, but the caesar salad was missing the soft boiled eggs it advertised. So, showered, fed and in bed - this is when the noise began. Firstly, my window would not close properly. Secondly - I was RIGHT ABOVE THE SERVICE ENTRANCE!!!!!! How this can be classed as quiet is beyond me. So by about midnight the door slamming, staff chatting and cars leaving finished. On a plus, the bed and pillows were very comfortable. Happily snoozing away until 5.50am when the staff started arriving back to work, doors slamming, cars and chatting again. Then from 6.15am onwards the delivery vans began reversing up and unloading. (see my video). Then, to top this off, some workmen began ANGLE GRINDING AT 6.50AM!!!!!! I am sorry but this is totally unaceeptable in my opinion. I also never received my morning paper.
What should have been a relaxing night away to unwind and prepare for a big meeting left me feeling tired, stressed and dreading my meeting and my long drive home.
The staff on check out were incredibly helpful and understanding, but this really is not what I expect from a hotel of this standard, and will most definately not be returning.

Room Tip: Ask to be nowhere near the service entrance.....
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Poopypoo
Dear Poopypoo,

Please allow me to first express my sincere apologies for the issues that occurred during your recent stay with us.

There have clearly been some aspects of your stay that were certainly not the standard to which the hotel usually operates. I would be grateful if you would contact us to discuss this in more detail. If you could please contact our Front of House Manager on Samantha.surridge@devere-hotels.com she will be happy to discuss this with you.

It is only through constructive comments that we can continue to challenge and improve the service and product of the Hotel. Your help in this will be much appreciated.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

After booking our stay a while ago, we were very disheartened to read Mr_thompson100's review which put a doubt in our minds about our upcoming stay. However, we can gladly report that our stay was fantastic, we were greeted with smiling faces, both at reception and when using the spa facilities. We had dinner reservations for 8pm and we were promptly shown to our table. There was a huge wine selection (personally, my favourite was the argento Malbec) along with a good food menu. My partner and I both chose the sirloin which was cooked to perfection with barely any fat on it and we are very particular about our steak. All in all the service, menu and food were fantastic and we would like to personally thank Kim and her staff in the Carrington Grill and all of the spa and bar staff for their outstanding and friendly service. We would recommend this resort to anybody.

• Stayed September 2013
The Midland
The Midland
#14 of 117 in Manchester
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,793 reviews

Been to Mottram Hall? Share your experiences!