“Fabulous hotel and staff”
Review of Mottram Hall

Mottram Hall
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Superb hotel, very grand setting. Check in was both efficient, well informed and pleasant. We stayed in the Spencer suite, which is in the middle of the hotel with stunning views. The room itself was lovely and spacious, tastefully decorated with an obvious high end finish. The one very minor quibble is the temperature of the rooms, but the hotel has fans in the rooms to keep the room cool.

We ate in the Carrington Grill which was okay, but I wasn't that enthralled by the menu. I would have preferred a chicken dish but this was not available of the main menu, but other diners were tucking into chicken entree's. The waitress advised as we were only staying on a B&B basis we were not offered a set menu but we would be able to ask for it next time if we wished? I think all menu's should be offered considering the cost of the dining experience. The service was fantastic and we were given excellent information and menu recommendations.

We drank in the hotel bar and were looked after by a lady called Libby, we were treated like VIP's, drinks never ran dry, had plenty of interaction she really made the experience in the bar great for us and she made quite possibly the best daiquiri I have ever drank. We would return to the bar based on her service before even considering actually how good the bar already is.

We were very impressed and would highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Benjamin86
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Benjamin86,

Thank you for your very kind feedback regarding your recent stay with us at De Vere Mottram Hall,

I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay with us here at De Vere Mottram Hall, I personally think that the Spencer Suite is one of our best junior suites I feel that the views over the golf course are superb.

You have made some great points regarding the menu choices for our guests and I will certainly put your thoughts into consideration when we next change our menus. I am very happy to hear that you were treated like VIP’s by Libby within our Cocktail Bar; I will personally pass on your thanks to her.

Thank you once again for your great feedback; we would be delighted to welcome you back to Mottram Hall within the near future for some more refreshingly unique moments and some refreshingly unique cocktails.

James Stewart

Write a ReviewReviews (1,660)

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I've stayed at Mottram Hall on numerous occasions over the past few years and have always been a big fan. However a recent stay in May completely changed my views. Myself and 3 other members of my family (all adults) attended in May 2013 to celebrate my mum's birthday and to see what the hotel was like following the recent renovations. I emailed the hotel prior to our stay to inform them of my mum's birthday as they usually give a free room upgrade to anybody celebrating their birthday. My first email was ignored so when I followed this up I received a reply saying that they no longer give free upgrades but that they would try and arrange something for my mum's birthday such as decorating her room "with balloons or something".

Upon arrival at the hotel we were very impressed with the renovations and the hotel looked beautiful, however there was a strong smell of sewage in the downstairs area near reception and the bar, which we had never noticed on previous stays. This smell was present for the whole time we were at the hotel. We attempted to check in at 2.45pm but only one of the rooms was ready. When we returned to check in later on (about 4pm) we were greeted with a huge queue of people all waiting to check in with only 2 members of staff checking people in. We had to queue for approx half hour and many of the guests made it quite clear that they were not happy.

Prior to check in we had lunch from the hotel bar which was very disappointing. There were also annoying things that happened such as the barman told us when we placed our lunch order that they don't do large glasses of wine and they don't serve homemade chips, but half an hour later we saw other guests with large glasses of wine and a plate of homemade chips! When we queried this with another member of the bar staff she said the original barman had given us the wrong information. The food was bland and unexciting (the sandwiches were served on cheap pre sliced thin bread that you'd buy from any old supermarket) and was not the standard you would expect from a 5 star hotel.

When we did eventually check in we found that the hotel hadn't done anything to mark my mother's birthday and had not decorated her room as promised. Also my stepfather noticed human excrement on the bathroom wall in his room. He reported this to reception but 48 hours later when he vacated the room this still hadn't been cleaned and it seems that his complaint was completely ignored.

More disappointing things happened such as in the hotel's cocktail bar hardly any of the cocktails were available due to the fact that they had no limes and no mint. Pretty bad for a "cocktail" bar in a 5 star hotel. We were also told by the Bar Manager that they no longer provide complimentary nibbles in the bar like they used to (and like most 5 star hotels do). The next morning at breakfast we had to queue for 20 minutes before we could be seated for breakfast as for such a large hotel the breakfast room seemed really small and did not provide enough tables. During our stay we found the staff to be very few and far between and when you did ask a member of staff something none of them seemed very knowledgeable, and we seemed to receive completely different answers depending on which member of staff we spoke to.

We left Mottram Hall feeling quite sad that one of our favourite hotels had gone so downhill, so a week or so later I decided to email them to inform them of our bad experience. It took about a week but I eventually got a response from Thomas Starey from Guest Relations who sent me a short email to apologise, and offered the 4 of us a complimentary free night's stay. A couple of months later (July) I emailed Thomas to take him up on his kind offer and to see if things had improved, so I gave him about 10 different dates (both midweek and weekend) that we would be free to attend to use our free night's stay. He replied to say that none of the dates were available, even though when I checked on Mottram Hall's website it showed there was plenty of availability on all the dates I had specified! When I informed him of this he said that even though the hotel is full on those dates they still advertise and sell rooms in case people cancel. I asked what they do if nobody cancels and they are therefore over booked and can't accommodate the people that have paid/booked, and I'm still awaiting a reply from him and that was about 3 weeks ago!

I have since emailed the Managing Director, James Stewart, who appears on tripadvisor quite regularly asking people to contact Thomas Starey, but James Stewart hasn't had the courtesy to reply to my email either and it was sent to him 10 days ago!

I would advise anyone that is planning on staying at this hotel to think twice as if you are expecting a 5 star experience you're going to be very disappointed. Also if you do complain about your experience and they offer you a complementary stay then I wouldn't plan on ever being able to use it, as they seem to offer these things with no intention of ever letting you use your complimentary stay. I can honestly say that myself and my family will not step foot in Mottram Hall again, which is a great shame as we've had some lovely stays there previously and before they changed all the staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank TJNWales
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Dear TJNWales,

Thank you for your constructive feedback following your recent stay with us at De Vere Mottram Hall,

I am delighted to here that you have spoken to Matt Townley our resident manager and we have managed to resolve these problems. I must apologise for the problems which you encountered on your stay with us earlier in the year.

I am thoroughly looking forward to welcoming you back to Mottram Hall

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I spent a weekend break in this hotel, from 19-21.

first impression was good, the building is nice and grand. But it is very closely attached to a very busy golf course and a busy car park. The hotel is near Prestbury which is a very lovely english town with lots of rich people. It is also near Wilmslow which has lots of great restaurants. The area are mainly white british people with very very few other ethnics.

The check in area is confusing since it has a 'resort desk' where people would expect that is the place for checking in, but it is in the lounge with two massive table and no one around. The check in was easy but the room they assigned the room without consider the customer's situation. I went with my partner's mother, she had an ankle injury and she had her ankle warped in bandage, so it is obvious and visible, they gave her a room that is so far away from the entrance on the first floor...it is like a maze inside and very difficult to find the room. the room card didn't work one night and she had to go all the way back to the reception with her injured ankle.

we tried the grill restaurant the first night, the restaurant is beautiful and looks posh, the menu looks good and i ordered the steak..but...the steak was so thin, I have never seen a piece of steak that is so thin which put salami slices from Tesco in shame. The waiters were friendly but it took an hour for the main course to arrive. we were the last table in the restaurant and everyone was cleaning and moving things, getting ready to close, they were all too busy packing things us and no one came to ask what we need anymore, until we waved to the waiter and asked for service. We did not go back to the restaurant for the rest of our stay.

The hotel has a very nice garden, it is perfect to take a walk, there were cute ducks walking around as well, I spent my morning laying on the grass and relaxing, it was very nice. lots of plants and trees. it is near the manchester airport so i also saw some airplane flew in low altitude over the sky.

The hotel bar is lovely, good nice cold cocktails, nice bar tender. Nicely decorated and lots of place to sit, it was never too busy which I really liked.

We went for breakfast at 9.15am the second morning, it was very busy, we waited for 20 minutes to be seated, I could see lots of empty tables but they weren't been tidied up. lots of people queuing are wedding guests and they all know each other, and occasionally people cut the queue. Eventually when we got in, most of the food were gone, i only had some bacon. So the last day we decided to get up early, so we went to breakfast at 7.30, it was very busy again, there were people from a golf training camp I think...so I guess the breakfast will always be busy no matter what time you go, but definitely won't be any food left if you go later than 9.30, they say the breakfast finishes at 10am.

The room was nice (one you found it in the maze), it is small but looks cozy. It is very very hot though, there is no aircon coz it's a listed building, even the corridor outside is much cooler than the room. the window can be opened to 1/3 of the way and it doesn't do anything, the air in the room is so hot and static, i got sweaty 10 mins in the room...there was an electrical fan in the room and I had it on the whole night, otherwise I don't think I can ever sleep in that temperature. The shower is nice, strong water and nice bath, but there is no shower curtain and the water splash on the floor and made it wet, and it remains wet until the room been tidied. A shower curtain would be nice.

The spa looks good but unfortunately when I tried to book it there was a woman in the front desk with no facial expression, she wasn't friendly at all, and I felt so guilty just to ask her things, I feel like I am bothering or disturbing here. She told me with an arrogant tone that they were a very busy spa and had absolutely no space for the next 2 days during our stay, so am I suppose to be very sorry that as a guest I didn't know this and should have booked a spa treatment 1 year in advance?!!! I was so disappointed since this is a spa hotel and I did want to give my partner a spa treatment since it was my partner's birthday. If the spa is so busy and don't have slots for the hotel guests then why put a list of spa services in our room?! why bother if we can't book it.

The gym and swimming pool is very nice though, good facilities and lots of different types of steam rooms, sauna, jacuzzi. I enjoyed my time in the swimming pool as well, the water was a nice temperature and it is very clean. The changing room is nice and very clean.

Overall I think the hotel is nice, and beautiful...but I don't think it is 5 star in terms of service and the restaurant quality. The staff there do't really greet their guests. I went there to relax but I didn't manage to get any spa treatment or good food from the restaurant, there were one wedding each day, and large groups of golfers....

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Palslow

Dear Palslow,

Thank you so much for your constructive feedback following your recent stay with us at De Vere Mottram Hall,

It is very difficult to reach 5 star status and stay at this level; at Mottram Hall we are proud that we are a 4 star hotel. However we do pride ourselves on delivering 5 star service it is quite clear to see that certain aspects of your stay were not to the correct standards of our high levels of service, we would very much like to talk to you regarding this so that we can gain a further understanding of what happened and to ensure that we put actions in place to prevent them from happening within the future.

We would like to request that you contact our Guest Relations team at your earliest convenience so that we can look further into what happened throughout your recent stay with us and put actions in place to ensure that they do not happen in the future; you can contact Thomas within Guest Relations via email tom.starey@devere-hotels.com

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Visited the spa for a girly birthday break & couldn't of asked for anymore. I have visited a few spa's across the country and have to say the service from start to finish was impeccable & up there with the best. Spa treatments where very professional and relaxing. Lunch was light but tasty. Facilities where clean and spacious leaving nothing to be desired. Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Musicmgmt,

I am very happy to here that you made full use of our new spa facilities and thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, I feel that our bento box spa lunches are just perfect for a light meal after treatments’.

Thank you once again for your great feedback; we would be delighted to welcome you back to Mottram Hall for some more refreshingly unique moments

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Wow, wow, wow

Stayed for our second wedding anniversary

Had booked a massage for my wife, and then decided on arrival that I wanted one. They were full but managed to squeeze me in.

The grounds are so beautiful as are the facilities inside, after working in hotels myself for many years, many years ago, this is more like a michelin/5 star property.

Rooms are very spacious and airy, and even though we stayed in the hottest week in the uk for years the room was not that hot at all.....very pleasent.

Breakfast on both days was fresh and delicious.

Nearby is the trafford centre, just take lots of dosh you will need it!!!

All in all a very relaxing and special trip, thank you to James, Simon and all the team at Mottram Hall, 5 star service all round...we will be back

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Dear J B,

I am very happy to here that you really enjoyed your recent stay with us; the Reynolds Suite is one of our best with superb views over the Georgian gardens. Im glad to here that you enjoyed your treatments within our new spa and hope that you made full use of our ‘Alfresco Thermal Spa’

Thank you once again for your great feedback; we would be delighted to welcome you back to Mottram Hall within the near future for some more refreshingly unique moments.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Upon arrival for a 1 night/2 rounds of golf stay, reception couldn't have been better. Room not quite ready - but we were early, so no big deal. Golf staff on course amazing and so encouraging for myself as a new'ish golfer. Lots of encouragement and acknowledgement for my first drive on first tee (which was daunting). Throughout round ground and golf staff really good.
Our evening meal (included in package), was very very good. Menu choices good and varied, according and meeting most tastes and food preferences. Steak hubby had was a very good size and cooked according to request at ordering. My fish dish was delicious.
What really, let it all down was the lack of any air conditioning overnight in the room, followed by the abysmally awful service and breakfast in the morning. Breakfast at 8.30 for us (allegedly serve til 10 am), everything was being cleared as we ate. No more mushrooms available (no more coming out....... Said a very rude restaurant man - who looked managerial!!!! In a suit).
Then you add the very RUBBERY eggs!!!! (Though he did bring out fresher rubbery eggs when I asked for fresh ones.......) And very oily/greasy bacon --- very poor for an alleged De Vere 5 star resort. Only to add insult to injury, if you fancy taking a bit of fruit, for eg a banana, from breakfast selection!!, don't bother after 8.30!!!! They will have been taken away!,,,
Would we return???? Unlikely

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara F
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Barbara F,

It is quite clear to see that certain aspects of your stay were not to the correct standards, we would very much like to talk to you regarding these so that we can gain a further understanding of what happened and to ensure that we put actions in place to prevent them from happening within the future.

We would like to request that you contact Thomas Starey within our Guest Relations team at your earliest convenience; you can contact Thomas via email tom.starey@devere-hotels.com

Reviewed July 17, 2013

on checking in was told we wouldn't be able to eat in the restaurant as it was full that night & we should have booked in advance, difficult to do this when family were travelling from all over the country and we didn't have an ETA in advance.
the room was very small ,we saw another guest on our corridor having to move furniture in order to get a pushchair in
the room was roasting hot and the fan in the cupboard was not working (it took 3 hours to get a replacement)., the response to this from the venue is that aircon can not be added due to the building being listed, the area that our room was in didn't seem very old at all. we couldn't open the bathroom window as it was screwed shut and tape was holding the broken pane together
the wardrobe was dusty inside and very little hanging space, the battered tin inside containing tea & coffee was not at all appealing.
my elderly parents had booked a ground floor room, the only way to access this was by going outside and down the exterior of the building, luckily it was dry for most of our stay. the disabled toilet in the main building was out of order, which meant the less able members of the family needed help to the bathroom as the main toilet doors were too heavy to manage
on a positive the events team led by James were very friendly and the wedding managed professionally.
basically ,,would not hesitate to attend Mottram for a wedding ,its a beautiful place but wouldn't rush back to stay at the hotel

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
MottramHall, Managing Director at Mottram Hall, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear NeilD1,

#2 of 5 in Wilmslow
Hollin Hall Hotel
Hollin Hall Hotel
#5 of 8 in Macclesfield

Been to Mottram Hall? Share your experiences!