“BEST OF THE BEST”

Maekok River Village Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thaton
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We were only able to stay here one night, and wished we could have stayed a week.
We did not see the town but enjoyed everything at the resort immensely. The setting is perfect, with many bushes loaded with birds. Our little haven of a room had an outside sitting area.The river is a great place for boat rides. Excellent and reasonable spa services in the room are available. We've had massages all over the world, and these were terrific. the owners have created a mileu for staff to be happy and grow. the restaurant is very relaxed with great views. There is much to do here for all ages. we wish we lived a little bit closer, so we could visit often. One day we shall return.
We did not use the fitness center.
Nanab

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
MRVRThailand, Owner at Maekok River Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Nana,

Thanks for this and for your description 'Best of the best'. That has certainly set a standard which we will have to continue to work very hard at to maintain! We continue to feel very pleased indeed by yours' and others' comments and in particular references to our hard-working staff who help so much to provide our guests with the type of experience that you had. We do hope to see you here again and for a period longer than a night!

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We travel quite frequently to Thaton to visit friends and were sad to see the Thaton Chalet close this year - though not the same quality as the MRVR it was cheaper and convenient to the river area.
This year we stayed at the MRVR and it was lovely. The grounds are beautiful and Bryan and Rosie keep everything running well - to the standard expected by foreign travelers but totally plugged into the Thai environment. Very friendly staff in the dining room and good service. Easy to see how they earned top ratings from Trip Advisor reviewers!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I went here on a School Trip in April and it was so amazing with all the instructors and the other students who made it fun, there was lots of fun activities to do when at the resort, if I were to go back to MRVR, I would!!
Yours sincerely,
Ollie

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
MRVRThailand, Owner at Maekok River Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear Ollie.
Thanks for this review. I am delighted you had a memorable time and maybe see you again! For readers who maybe have a 'different view' of student groups coming to the MRVR, be assured they have accommodation in a separate student centre!
Many of these groups come to carry out improvement projects in our local schools, and to date, visiting school groups have raised Baht 14 million for such projects. They do wonderful work and their contribution to the local schools and local economy is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I had booked three nights here but we quickly decided to extend it to five. The place is so beautiful with a view from the pool that is simply unbelievable. Bryan and Rosie are perfect hosts and nothing is too much trouble. The garden is a magical hybrid of Thai and English. I think one thing that we really appreciated was the way that Bryan and Rosie are integrated into the local community and making a difference through their outdoor education centre to the lives of the local people. This means you can relax and enjoy the lovely surroundings without any feeling of guilt. We had several great trips out but the boat trip down the Maekok to Chiang Rai was the highlight - do this! I also had one of the best Thai massages ever. We would love to go back and if you are lucky enough to be in the area, go! I am very fussy and I loved it - you will too.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 77Fiona77

Thanks so much for taking time to write this review. It seems to encompass and reflect the same views of the majority of our guests, particularly the most recent reviewers. We are pleased that so many more guests are staying for longer periods and making use of our facilities, enjoying the gardens and taking local tours, hikes and bike rides in this fascinating and beautiful area.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had a wonderful time at the Maekok River Resort which we visited with our 2 children and with my parents. Already before arriving, Bryan answered all our email related questions personally and at the speed of light, which was extremely appreciated.

Him and Rosie are very friendly and knowledgeable. The hotel is located in a beautiful environment with an immaculate garden right by the river; and the personalized attention to details is perhaps what is most striking, such as with kids slippers and toys in their room.

The outings were full of excitement too. We enjoyed kayaking on the river with Chon, our fun tour guide and learned a great deal from him at the Karen village.

Also, we were so impressed by the separate, schools retreat facilities on the other side of the hotel.

It was a great trip. Highly recommended!

Matthieu and Yvonne Cognac

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I’m glad we stayed 5 days; it meant that my two children (7 &10), my wife and I could make the most of what the MaeKok River Resort and Northern Thailand has to offer. My wife managed to read two books (previously unheard of on holiday) and enjoyed the Thai cooking course; my boys loved the resort’s high ropes course, archery, kayaking, rock climbing wall and confidence course and their enthusiastic supervisors just added to the fun and being a bit of a keen golfer I managed to squeeze in a sneaky game at the stunning Waterford course.

Cycling through the surrounding fields opened our eyes to what working life was like for the farmers of Tha Thon who were busy growing garlic, oranges and harvesting corn. My eldest challenged me to cycle to the ‘9th level’ of a religious mountain and though I reached the top but perhaps not enlightenment, I certainly felt fitter (I think) and saw Burma!

If you stay at this lovely resort do try the Shan food; if you’re not into spicy food they do a great egg, chips, sausage and baked beans.

1  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed October 21, 2012

During an extensive trip through North Thailand we had the privilege to stay at Maekok River Village Resort. This was definitely an extraordinary pleasant experience. As a gardening freak, I know what it needs to create, maintain and permanently reproduce such an amazing environment.

The service at the restaurant is extremely friendly and the choice of dinner meals is attractive. Since there was no breakfast buffet we had breakfast à la carte. With enough time and willingness to explain our wishes, the very friendly staff intuitively managed to bring it to a happy end.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thaton
Khunyuw Hotel
#5 of 9 in Fang City
Viengkaew Resort
Viengkaew Resort
#4 of 9 in Fang City

Been to Maekok River Village Resort? Share your experiences!