Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.com
CheapTickets$44
Agoda.com$49
Tripadvisor$44
Trip.com
All reviews maekok river northern thailand climbing wall chiang rai stayed longer three nights rooms are spacious high ropes course surrounding countryside thai food outdoor activities beautiful setting rice fields cooking class a great place to stay long tail boat lovely pool
Selected filters
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We travel quite frequently to Thaton to visit friends and were sad to see the Thaton Chalet close this year - though not the same quality as the MRVR it was cheaper and convenient to the river area.
This year we stayed at the MRVR and it was lovely. The grounds are beautiful and Bryan and Rosie keep everything running well - to the standard expected by foreign travelers but totally plugged into the Thai environment. Very friendly staff in the dining room and good service. Easy to see how they earned top ratings from Trip Advisor reviewers!

Date of stay: November 2012
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I went here on a School Trip in April and it was so amazing with all the instructors and the other students who made it fun, there was lots of fun activities to do when at the resort, if I were to go back to MRVR, I would!!
Yours sincerely,
Ollie

Date of stay: April 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
MRVRThailand, Owner at Maekok River Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear Ollie.
Thanks for this review. I am delighted you had a memorable time and maybe see you again! For readers who maybe have a 'different view' of student groups coming to the MRVR, be assured they have accommodation in a separate student centre!
Many of these groups come to carry out improvement projects in our local schools, and to date, visiting school groups have raised Baht 14 million for such projects. They do wonderful work and their contribution to the local schools and local economy is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I had booked three nights here but we quickly decided to extend it to five. The place is so beautiful with a view from the pool that is simply unbelievable. Bryan and Rosie are perfect hosts and nothing is too much trouble. The garden is a magical hybrid of Thai and English. I think one thing that we really appreciated was the way that Bryan and Rosie are integrated into the local community and making a difference through their outdoor education centre to the lives of the local people. This means you can relax and enjoy the lovely surroundings without any feeling of guilt. We had several great trips out but the boat trip down the Maekok to Chiang Rai was the highlight - do this! I also had one of the best Thai massages ever. We would love to go back and if you are lucky enough to be in the area, go! I am very fussy and I loved it - you will too.

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank 77Fiona77

Thanks so much for taking time to write this review. It seems to encompass and reflect the same views of the majority of our guests, particularly the most recent reviewers. We are pleased that so many more guests are staying for longer periods and making use of our facilities, enjoying the gardens and taking local tours, hikes and bike rides in this fascinating and beautiful area.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had a wonderful time at the Maekok River Resort which we visited with our 2 children and with my parents. Already before arriving, Bryan answered all our email related questions personally and at the speed of light, which was extremely appreciated.

Him and Rosie are very friendly and knowledgeable. The hotel is located in a beautiful environment with an immaculate garden right by the river; and the personalized attention to details is perhaps what is most striking, such as with kids slippers and toys in their room.

The outings were full of excitement too. We enjoyed kayaking on the river with Chon, our fun tour guide and learned a great deal from him at the Karen village.

Also, we were so impressed by the separate, schools retreat facilities on the other side of the hotel.

It was a great trip. Highly recommended!

Matthieu and Yvonne Cognac

Date of stay: October 2012
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I’m glad we stayed 5 days; it meant that my two children (7 &10), my wife and I could make the most of what the MaeKok River Resort and Northern Thailand has to offer. My wife managed to read two books (previously unheard of on holiday) and enjoyed the Thai cooking course; my boys loved the resort’s high ropes course, archery, kayaking, rock climbing wall and confidence course and their enthusiastic supervisors just added to the fun and being a bit of a keen golfer I managed to squeeze in a sneaky game at the stunning Waterford course.

Cycling through the surrounding fields opened our eyes to what working life was like for the farmers of Tha Thon who were busy growing garlic, oranges and harvesting corn. My eldest challenged me to cycle to the ‘9th level’ of a religious mountain and though I reached the top but perhaps not enlightenment, I certainly felt fitter (I think) and saw Burma!

If you stay at this lovely resort do try the Shan food; if you’re not into spicy food they do a great egg, chips, sausage and baked beans.

Date of stay: October 2012