“Very disappointed”

and 1 more site!
Hotel The Yordanos
Ranked #4 of 25 Mek'ele B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I booked a room in this hotel more than one month before our trip by e-mail. Communication by e-mail fast and efficient and I was perfectly sure that everything would be Ok. When we finally arrived to the hotel, by around 6 pm, we were told, in a very rude manner, that there are no rooms available and we have to go out. I showed a printed confirmation of the booking, but a lady just repeated that we have to go out. I asked to see the manager. Once again, the reaction was that nobody is available. Our guide (we were on a tour) phoned to the manager (I had a phone number) and received no apology, no help in finding another accommodation, nothing. I am very disappointed with this position of the hotel and would not recommend to deal with these people in future. It is better to avoid. We easily found another option to stay – Whitney Pension. By the way this place was 4 times cheaper and had much more nice and polite staff.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank iouA

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Definitely very overpriced but then Mekele is not blessed with many decent hotels. For the price we were paying the breakfast was pitiful: sparse offerings with nothing hot at all, cheap and nasty bought (as opposed to freshly squeezed) mixed fruit juice.

We stayed one night before and one night after a trip to the Danakil Depression and both rooms has outside windows and a balcony and were bright and clean with clean bathrooms. In the first room the water heater blew a fuse (twice) and they let us shower in another room while waiting for the maintenance guy to come and fix the problem. Second room the shower soaked the entire bathroom floor because of the way it was position over the bath tub.

Rooms had satellite TV which was welcome as there’s nothing to do in town – three English language news channels and one Dubai channel showing (English language) films.

I used the one functioning internet terminal in the lobby and the speed was fine (though I was on it at 5am both times).

Staff were pretty clueless but what's new in Ethiopian hotels?

Hotel looked after some of our luggage while we were in Danakil and this was returned with no problem.

If there was any other reasonable choice in town this place would never get away with charging over 900 birr per night, it's just not worth the money.

Room Tip: Some rooms have inside windows and are dark, look at a few rooms to find one that you like.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I can support a couple of the previous reviews!!
We were promised broad-band Internet, hot water etc and the (high) rate included breakfast. Well the Internet connection is so slow that it is actually pointless trying to use it. We inquired what time the kitchen closed - but at 9pm we could have very little of what was on the menu - in the end I gave up and declined to eat. And when I got up to shower in the morning - no hot water. The breakfast was cold and congealed - and when we requested fresh eggs etc they wanted to charge extra.......
They charged a very high 930 birr ($55) by Ethiopian standards - real "faranji" gouging - locals are charged 330 birr. We checked out and are now at the immaculate Ezana Pension - 200 birr and tons of washing being done at an additional 100 birr - would have cost 700 birr at Yordanos.
Stay away!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank David C
Reviewed August 13, 2012

the Yordanos was the worst place I've stayed in Ethiopia. Sure the food was tasty, but the room stunk of RAID bug spray and my camera was stolen from their "secure'' locker within 20 minutes of my leaving the room.

Room Tip: as far as I can tell, there are no "good" rooms in this place...unless you like sleeping w...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Rick K
Reviewed April 17, 2012

The food in the Yordanos hotel was among the best we had in Ethiopia. I tried the fastening buffet and it was excellent. The breakfast also was above average. Our lunchbox with egg sandwich was great. The waitress in the restaurant was very friendly. The rooms were clean. We had an excellent night in the Yordanos.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 19, 2012

The hotel is near the town centre, so there is some noise of traffic. It has a small bar area and restaurant at the front. On the evening we were there the restaurant was packed and we had tyo eat in the bar. The food was very pleasant and i would imagine some of the best in town. Breakfast was different. It was rather limited - just rice, injera, etc - and when we asked for eggs we were told there was an extra charge. Some minutes later, scrambled egg was brought to the self-service, but no refund was forthcoming. Service generally was slow. Our room was acceptable, but the bathroom and toilet was dirty. Do Ethiopian hotels ever clean them? As the title says, it was satisfactory for a one night stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Diomedia
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I work for a tour company in Addis, when I reserved this hotel three months ago, they gave me a price of 760 birr for the suite room. When I called two weeks ago to check the rerservation, they told me the price of 760 birr is only for residents. Now, today my guide and our clients are there and they charge 92 dollars for a room. Absolute ridiculous. Even in better hotels anywhere else they don t charge this price. We will never sent any customer anymore !!!

• Stayed: January 2012