Hotel The Yordanos
Super Pension(Mek'ele)
LK Pension(Mek'ele)
Abebu Pension(Mek'ele)
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 19, 2012

The hotel is near the town centre, so there is some noise of traffic. It has a small bar area and restaurant at the front. On the evening we were there the restaurant was packed and we had tyo eat in the bar. The food was very pleasant and i would imagine some of the best in town. Breakfast was different. It was rather limited - just rice, injera, etc - and when we asked for eggs we were told there was an extra charge. Some minutes later, scrambled egg was brought to the self-service, but no refund was forthcoming. Service generally was slow. Our room was acceptable, but the bathroom and toilet was dirty. Do Ethiopian hotels ever clean them? As the title says, it was satisfactory for a one night stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Diomedia
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I work for a tour company in Addis, when I reserved this hotel three months ago, they gave me a price of 760 birr for the suite room. When I called two weeks ago to check the rerservation, they told me the price of 760 birr is only for residents. Now, today my guide and our clients are there and they charge 92 dollars for a room. Absolute ridiculous. Even in better hotels anywhere else they don t charge this price. We will never sent any customer anymore !!!

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank EthiopiaMarilou
Reviewed July 7, 2011

The Yordanos seems like a good choice for a stay in Mekele. Our room was large and clean and we had a nice bathroom with hot water. The staff was friendly and attentive, and we had one meal in the hotel restaurant which was very good (and our server was wonderful). They were able to come up with a good vegetarian option for us, which was very nice. As one other reviewer noted, there are two pigeons who seem to live in the restaurant/lobby area. It is a bit strange, but we didn't encounter any problems or issues with cleanliness. The Yordanos is also within walking distance of the Castle of Emperor Johannes, which is worth a trip.

As another reviewer mentioned though, they do not take credit cards, and they were also unable to change money for us though it was a service they advertised. (There is a bank right down the block though).

Hotel options in Mekele are quite limited (though apparently there's a "five star" hotel being built), so if you go into the Yordanos with realistic expectations, you'll enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AnneBA
Reviewed June 28, 2011

“unexpected style’, ‘lovely new hotel’, ‘romantic sprinkling of rose petals’, ‘modern bathrooms’; all phrases taken from the 2009 Lonely Planet Guide to Ethiopia. But none of them are true now, if they were then.
You share the lobby and restaurant with two pigeons which seem to be the hotel pets. They have a little roosting place specially built for them in the lobby which they share with a stuffed chicken. The pigeons seem to have had their wings clipped so they don’t fly but they do wander around leaving droppings everywhere. You also share the lobby and restaurant with an extensive family of rather large mice, whether these are pets or not I don’t know but the staff ignore them or deny their existence, despite my having seen 3 simultaneously climbing an electric cable.
My room was large but the hot water tank in the bathroom was no longer working so some extraordinarily dangerous wiring had been attached to some device that fitted on the shower head to produce hot water there. But there was no hot water elsewhere. The bathroom window was originally clear glass facing onto the corridor so they have introduced the desired privacy by painting the glass a muddy green - very sophisticated. No shower curtain of course so the bathroom floods everytime you shower. The rose petals have transformed themselves into a fake rose. The furniture is a fairly random assortment of cheap stuff in a poor state of repair. But the bed was a good size, good sheets, comfortable enough.
Due to a reservation mix-up I did spend one night in the ‘special room’ – the one with the Jacuzzi. None of the power points worked so no TV or fridge. There was a huge Jacuzzi but I would have had to be there a week before the trickle of water filled it to the point of being usable.
They don't take credit cards so wads of cash only - my last day in Mekele neither of the ATMs (yes - the town has 2) were working so getting those wads of cash can be a problem.
Don't know why this is in the B&B section - it's a hotel.

Room Tip: You want hot and cold water in the bathroom!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank RedHeadPeter
Reviewed March 26, 2011

Stayed for a week, and was very happy with the Yardanos. Good location, rooms big and bright with very nice linens, very reasonable price. Small refrigerator in the room was stocked with soft drinks, water and beer. Convenient restaurant on the ground floor, wish I could get their recipe for the rice and vegetables!

Felt very safe.

Staff could not have been more friendly or attentive to our needs. I valuables with the front desk every day and everything was returned in excellent condition.

Internet was painfully slow, but I think suspect that's typical for Ethiopia, not the hotel's fault, as we found it slow everywhere we tried.

Only downside: our room was noisy at times from construction right next door. If you are a light sleeper you'd do well to pack ear plugs or sleeping pills just in case.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends