“Avoid”
Review of Milano Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mek'ele
Milano Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Mek'ele
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Don't be fooled into thinking this is acceptable. I looked at 10 rooms after being shown one which was reasonable and checking in. We were asked to pay in advance??? and once we had done so, we went up to our room (not the same room we were shown) and it was awful. I looked at 10 other pathetic rooms before going back to the first one which had a totally shattered toilet seat but at least had a bed we could sleep in and everything else in the bathroom worked. I would rather sleep in my car than stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Do not ever stay here!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I know the hotel from its names Hawzen to Milano different owners.
Still rooms need to be re innovated to smell good look good.
Its staffs and "tour guide" friendly atmosphere , its central locations makes it the strategic place in Mekelle to meet travel mates specially to go to Denakil ,tour guides and car rentals.
It is why weather I am staying in otherhotels I still visit this hotel to feel real Mekele feeling

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The rooms were smelly and the shower was cold. The food was terrible and the staff rude. However, I had one of the best drinking nights of my life in it's bar. Two Southafrican miners coming out of the Danakil depression wanted to party hard, and of course we ended up in a drinking contest. The beer was cheap!!!

Room Tip: Just go to another hotel!!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Cuernas B
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Notwithstanding the other reviews, in my experience, not a bad choice if you're in Mek'ele without the budget for the somewhat inflated Axum Hotel room rates. Milano has a number of things going for it: the staff for one are friendly and helpful, and manager Tewodros/Teddy is usually happy to help. The location is also good - right on the edge of the centre of town. The rooms have seen better days, and the food tends to be served cold. But then, being only a few minutes walk from the many restaurants around town, that's easy enough to remedy. The rooms are cleaned to a standard that is at least as good if not better than similarly priced Ethiopian hotels... Traffic noise in rooms at the front of the hotel is bad, so bring ear plugs!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are much quieter, though when there's a power cut, you do get the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Michael W
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We were horrified by our terrible experience and the shocking attitude of the staff at this hotel. We arrived in the evening, tired from 14 hours of travelling on buses, and were given three different rooms in succession, all with different problems: the first room was cockroach infested, the second room's hot water heater and TV were broken, and the third room stank of sewage. We eventually resigned ourselves to sleeping in the second room and using the shower in the third room -- staff complained about this, saying that we had to choose one room only, although none of the rooms was up to standard.

We ate at the hotel restaurant as it was too late to go out. Partway through dinner, we were horrified to find a large dead cockroach in one of our plates, mixed in with the chicken curry. Obviously, we were both unable to finish our meals, and retired to our room still hungry. That night around 11pm, a staff member knocked on our door... with a bill for the dinner! The staff and manager argued -- shouting at us in the hotel lobby -- that we had "eaten most of the plate". Unbelievable.

There was also a wedding that evening in the hotel ballroom that blasted loud (and bad) music late into the night. We enquired what time the wedding would end, and the receptionist told us that it would be finished at 10pm. Of course, it didn't end until much, much later. The music was loudly audible from the rooms above.

This was probably the worst experience with staff that we have ever had at any hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank guianna
Reviewed January 11, 2012

There was a theft in my room. Luckily I leave in the room only a small fraction of the money I have. The worst was the attitude of the owner and the policemen (they where clearly his friends): He told me that was my fault to leave values in the room (may be true, but of course I can't suggest such a hotel), but I never received a copy of the police report. They told it was not possible to get it immediately and, as I need to leave the day after, the owner took my e-mail address and promised me to send me the copy: never received!
Furthermore they tried to get higher price than agreed (which was already the maximum on their price list). When during the discussion I tried to make a pic of the price list, the receptionist suddenly covered it arguing that they were "reserved information": INCREDIBLE! Of course at the end we didn't pay what they asked, but it was not pleasant at all.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Oria
Reviewed November 1, 2011

The title of this review says it all. Terrible hotel, pushy, unfriendly staff to begin with (i.e. you're not allowed to bring your own water inside, it got taken from us without comment, leaving us beyond baffled).
Worst of all IT IS NOT CLEAN. We stayed for 4 nights before we had to move. All our rooms were infested with TONS of COCKROACHES, FLEAS and even BEDBUGS (who carry pathogens of may infectious diseases, I may add!). The sheets were never changed, but just 'rearranged' by the maids. They never used any cleaning products to my knowledge, just mopped the floor with the old towels (which would end up as 'fresh' towels the next day after a quick hand-wash).
The staff was uncaring, and though we doused our rooms with anti-cockroach-spray for two days, the insects just kept appearing, crawling into your sheets, biting you at night.
Also, the whole hotel (esp. the sofas in the foyer area) smells very musty of mold.
Do yourself a favour and chose a different hotel. There's many small, better value ones in Mekelle, which at least ARE CLEAN!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business