“Quite nasty but not alot of options in Mek'ele”
Review of Axum Hotel

Axum Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Mek'ele
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Stayed here for 6 nights in January. Not by choice, this hotel is used by my employer. I stayed in the old wing and then moved to the new wing. The old wing is completely run down and the new wing is barely finished. There are so many safety issues in the new wing I don't even know where to start.

The Good:
1. Staff are quite friendly
2. Drinks are cheap

The Bad:
1. Food is pretty ordinary, colleagues have been sick from the food here
2. Shower is nothing more than a dribble in the old wing, a little better in the new wing
3. The place is terribly maintained with tonnes of obvious problems
4. Room rates are high for what is provided
5. The beds in the new wing are like sleeping on concrete.

I agree with many of the previous reviews. If you can find a better option give it a try, this isn't a memorable experience!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Kosta100

Reviewed October 24, 2011

The Axum Hotel is touted as the best place to stay in Mek'ele. Some may call it rustic, others call it kitsch, run down and a tribute the the worst of 1970s interior design. There is NO shortage of adjectives to describe this joint. The food is universally crap (avoid the fish, my friend became violently ill for 2 days). Breakfast is the pits - the stale cake is as dry as a nun's nasties. The new hotel wing should open soon and let's hope it's a huge step up. You'll be lucky to get a normal hot shower beyond a few drips or a slight drizzle of hot water. Try and get a room on the first or second floor. It's a long way to the top floor by stairs if you happen to get a room up there.

Room Tip: Go for a room on the first floor to avoid a long walk to the top floors
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank AdamL1972
Reviewed September 13, 2011

The hotel is in a sad state of repair but they are building a new 'annex' right behind it which might be nicer (for a little while). I don't think that they've invested in any improvements in the hotel since it was opened sometime last century and the best thing they could do is tear it down with the new one comes up. And don't stay anywhere near the kitchen. They start cutting, pounding, chopping, and yelling at each other in the kitchen around 0500hrs in the morning, and have little concern for the clients who are trying to sleep. I guess they figure that if they're up then you can be too. The day staff, however, have been friendly to me over the years and it's not their fault that the place is a dump. The owner, who ever that is, needs to stay there once-in-a while so that they can 'appreciate' what's happened to a once nice place. Bottom line - it's probably the best hotel in the Tigrai region but don't expect much. It goes downhill fast the further north you get.

Room Tip: Away from the kitchen and as high as you can get. Buy some bug spray down the street and nuke the ro...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tunis1addis
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I was at this hotel for two nights for work. To cut to the chase: Don't stay here. There are other, much better places in this city, so go there. If you have to stay here, bring your sheets with you.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank OnurWashingtonDC
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I was booked into this hotel for a business trip, and was very disappointed. The hotel looks better from the outside than it does from the inside. The rooms are old, the carpet floor is dirty and there is no safety deposit box where to put your valuables. I did not use the shower (I only stayed for 1 night) as I literally did not feel like stepping on the shower floor. The hot water heater was not readily on when I arrived and entering the room, it smelled strongly of some sort of insect poison and I almost had trouble breathing - and ended up sleeping windows open. The breakfast is also very basic. All and all, when you pay close ti 1000 Birr for a night for a room, you would expect more. The hotel is currently building a new wing, which will hopefully be better. And for working people: no internet!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Hazel2011
Reviewed March 15, 2011

The price of the room, $70 per night, is an outrage (foreigner price by the way). To put it in context for those that don't understand the cost of things in Ethiopia, our whole spending money for the week was about $150 and we we're spending lots. Two meals out per day, lots of taxis, excursions etc.

The hotel room was falling apart and a death trap. Plug sockets hanging off the wall with exposed wires. Windows above the shower with shards of glass half falling inwards. I daren't move the window or it would have no doubt fallen on me. If I had kids I would have run a mile. Found a couple of cockroaches in the wardrobe. Unable to turn on the cold tap of the shower. The dial was aesthetically 'placed' where it should be to look as though the thing was functional but the slightest touch and it would fall off. Would take a workman five minutes to fix it but they can't be bothered so just leave it. They also lost a pair of my pants in laundry.

The day before we checked out I spoke to a man at the front desk if we could have one of the two rooms for a few extra hours (without paying the charge for an extra night) as we had a late flight. He agreed. When we came to check out he was nowhere to be seen. The desk insisted we had to pay the full amount. The main female we were dealing with was unbelievable. I would spend a moment articulating why I shouldn't pay the extra night and she would just pull a facetious smile and say 'you pay now'. This is just about all she would say. Her English was good as well so it wasn't a language barrier. Her total lack of people skill and customer service was astounding. Her impotent hareem of desk girls around her, as usual, just sit around doing nothing. They simpy didn't care. It was such an old fashioned attitude it made us sick - "the white man is leaving let's squeeze him for everything we can". Such a shame because generally the Ethiopians are LOVELY. A beautiful people who have left such a wonderful impression on me. This however, soured me.

On a positive note, day to day the bar and restaurant staff we're very attentive and kind and prices were reasonable.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Eddy12345
Reviewed January 6, 2011

What a shame. The outside of the hotel looks nice and you get your hopes up for a nice room. Not a chance. Rooms are old, carpets are stained, and the bathrooms are dirty. The toilet had been split in two and patched back together with some kind of putty glue. The shower dripped all night and no one seemed concerned about fixing it. When I plugged the bedside lamp into the outlet a huge spark jumped out and cut off the power on the entire floor leaving everyone in the dark. After about 10 minutes the bellman came to check and knew exactly what the problem was. Seems this happens every night. Guess they are waiting for a guest to get electrocuted before they will fix it. The same bellman told us we couldn't have extra pillows because the hotel was full. I checked the next morning and they were barely 1/3 full. He was just to lazy. They are building a new hotel next door so guess they are not willing to spend any money fixing up this place.

The Dining Room is the one bright spot. Service and food were very good. We even got hot toast with our breakfast instead of the cold left over toast from the day before that is so common.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RobertSanFrancisco
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mek'ele
Planet Hotel
#5 of 10 in Lalibela
Zemarias
Zemarias
#2 of 25 in Mek'ele

Been to Axum Hotel? Share your experiences!