“Friendly and helpful”

Ocean View Guest B&B
Ranked #2 of 5 Struisbaai B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 13, 2014

A little out of town, but with a great view over the ocean. Very friendly and helpful owner, good breakfast (but more boerewoers would be welcome!). We had the 'red room' which has both inside and outside shower - the latter is great on a hot day!

Reviewed March 20, 2014

My wife and I and brother stayed at this place while we visited Cape Agulhas. Nice place, clean and breakfast was great, would stay here again. The views were fantastic. We were all very happy with the stay and the people were great.

Room Tip: Get the rooms facing the water.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Very happy with our stay! The host was very friendly and flexible (we asked to have breakfast earlier which was not a problem). The room was nice and cozy, all details were well thought through by the host.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

OK - so Struissbai is a little off the beaten track and probably not more than a 1 night stay for most people who are ticking the Cape Aghulas box, which included us! And the Ocean View is in a lovely location that does indeed overlook the ocean, while the owner seemed to be a genuinely friendly lady who personally gave us a warm welcome. So far, so good. However, both of the bedrooms we booked were overfilled with the most bizarre collections of paintings, wall hangings and bric-a-brac imaginable, including a rather misplaced baby's christening dress! The modern bathroom and toilet fittings - placed in full view of the bed, couch, table etc - appeared to have been added as the ill-conceived afterthought of someone having read a design catalogue and deciding to add a new twist to the basic set-up, which already included showers and toilets, originally built 'outside' the bedrooms. It has to be said that everything was very clean and the breakfast was nicely served and wholesome enough. But our lasting impression of Ocean View was 'just weird'.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank GaryD14
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Toilet, shower, bathtub (plus 2 washbasins) and bed all in one room … what else do I have to say ?

BUT: there's a second loo + shower outside on the balcony...

I have to blame myself, though, for nor looking at the pictures close enough.

2  Thank Harald K
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Ocean View is a comfortably furnished, clean guest house with great sea views from some rooms and the public areas. It is close to excellent restaurants, stunning beaches and also to the Southern Most point of the continent of Africa. We enjoyed our weekend at Struisbaai.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We have stayed at many bed and breakfasts in various parts of the world and I will say without a doubt, this was the most odd. I will admit the owner was very kind and I almost wonder if that's why there are so many "excellent" reviews....maybe the reviewers didn't want to hurt her feelings but goodness....I really wish more people would have given a more accurate description of the property because we definitely would not have stayed here.

We booked two rooms. One for my husband and I and the other for my elderly mom and adult daughter. Where to start....I guess with their room because we saw it first. At first glance is seemed fairly "normal" but upon further examination, that wasn't the case. The bathroom had swinging saloon style doors which might be okay for a couple but really not satisfactory with regard to my mom/daughter's privacy! Then once the decorative pillows were removed from the bed, there were big holes in the headboard. Finally there was, what appeared to be, blood on the bed skirt/dust ruffle. GROSS!!!

On to our room. We had to walk right past the owners' private living space to get to our room. There were a couple of family members there and it was just awkward....they just kind of stared at us as we would go back and forth between our room and my mom/daughter's room. They were making dinner in the kitchen and I know we all have different tastes but whatever they were making smelled foul to us and the smell wafted right up into our room since we were right over the kitchen. I grabbed my hubby and got out of there for several hours. Then there was the room itself. We had the "honeymoon suite." This is not a place to be if you are modest at all as the toilet, bidet, bathtub AND shower are in FULL view if the other person in the room is at the table or on the couch. There are no doors/shower curtains/dividers, etc. NOTHING!!! Having said that, there was another toilet and shower off to the side of the room but OUTSIDE on like the roof of the house. With the wind whipping through there, it was like getting a shower and blow dry at the same time!!! Very bizarre and strange set up. And again, I know it's kinda "each to his own" with decorating but there were these weird dolls in a basket right at the top of the stairs leading to our room and in our room on the wall hug a small pink dress (maybe a Christening dress?) in a frame.

And whilst technically, it was a bed and breakfast because we did indeed get breakfast, we just didn't get it there. We were given vouchers and sent to a local pizza parlor who just happened to do breakfast. Never had that happen before.

I was actually embarrassed and apologized profusely to my mom and daughter for booking us there....every where else we stayed (on the Garden Route and in Stellenbosch) was awesome and I fully expected this place to be as well based on TripAdvisor reviews. Sadly, that just wasn't the case. If you want to stay somewhere really nice, check out the Villa @ Cape Agulhas where we've stayed in the past but was unfortunately booked during this trip.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank azhootie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Struisbaai
Arniston Spa Hotel
Beachcombers Bed and Breakfast
Cape Agulhas Backpackers
Cape Agulhas Backpackers
#1 of 4 in Struisbaai

Been to Ocean View Guest B&B? Share your experiences!