“Italy Farm Stay - for a truly relaxing home stay, away from the hustle and bustle of city living”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Italy Farm Stay

Italy Farm Stay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Singapore
Reviewed November 10, 2010

I was backpacking with a friend and decided to include a few nights away from the usual tourists spots thus we decided to book 3 nights with Italy Farm Stay after checking out all the reviews.

With reliable bus service from/ to Rome, getting there is easy, though one must be prepared for lots of walking in order to get from the farm to the town, etc.

As everyone has commented, Antonello and his family is lovely and I must say we've had the most enjoyable stay!

The farm and Sora, on the whole, gives you the much desired peace & tranquility, yet one can choose to busy yourself with various activities... Leaning how to cook with Maria, going on hikes to the waterfall, old castle, horseback riding, sitting around the farm in the evenings where the sheep, horse and donkey are released for grazing & following hospitable Guiseppe who will show you around the farm, plucking fresh tomatoes, figs, drinking fresh wine, cheesemaking with the Sheperd as early as 5am, or just sit around and enjoy the peace and quiet.... It is simply beautiful and a nice change from the hustle and bustle of city living.

Oh yah, not forgetting the Volunteers that worked around the farm, they make the stay memorable too!

Do check out the market on Thursdays and Antique market on Sundays. We heard they are lovely too though we missed it this time round due to our schedule...

I hope to be back again!
Irene, Singapore

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 29, 2010

The owner Antonello came to meet us at the train station even though his wife was about to give birth. We quickly blended into Farm life and met some very nice people from England, Holland and Australia. The room was basic and clean with a shared bathroom down the hall nearby. There are lots of activities to choose from:horse back riding to hiking, cheese making at 5 a.m. and Maria's Italian cooking classes is an activity not to be missed. Everything for breakfast is grown on the farm. If you just want to relax, there are ample hammocks hanging on the veranda where you can fall asleep with a good book. If you don't have one there's plenty on the shelf to borrow,.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gioa10
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I was supposed to spend 3 nights at Italy Farm Stay with Antonello, Maria and Giuseppe but in the end I decided to stay for an extra night and I would've happily stayed longer if I could!!! from the moment he picked me up in Sora, Antonello was the nicest... the welcoming bruschetta with fresh tomatoes from the farm, a glass of the wine of the house and fresh fruits from the trees was absolutely delicious... Cheese making, horseback riding, hiking to the waterfall, killing a pig, cooking lesson with Maria, all those nice and interesting chats with Giuseppe, meeting all this FABULOUS people was just the best of my (so far) 3 1/2 month holiday in Europe... I'm traveling by myself and I left this place with new friends and a wonderful feeling... it was simply great... YOU HAVE TO GO THERE! by the way, dinner at Le Grotte della Locanda was AMAZING! try the Fetuccine alla Locanda and ask Franka for a good wine, she's the sweetest and I'm sure you'll have the best italian dinner ever...
I don't know if it's still necessary, but I'll say it: I RECOMMEND THIS PLACE!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne
Reviewed October 21, 2010

My partner and I stayed at Italy Farm Stay in October and had such a lovely relaxing time. We only stayed 3 nights and regret that we didnt stay for longer. Antonello and family we're lovely and dinner at the farm was always yummy and entertaining!
The country side surrounding the farm and the town of Pescosolido are beautiful and the town of Sora is nice and has lots of shops and places to eat. Antonello is able to recomend many excellent restaurants and walks/activities to do while staying at the farm, or you can do nothing but sit in the hammock and read all afternoon.
Dont go expecting to a 5 star hotel and you will be very happy with your time at Italy farm stay. We will definitely be recommending it to any friends and family planing a trip to Italy.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 19, 2010

My wife and I absolutely loved our five nights here in late September/early October. The setup was exactly what I expected after looking at the website and reading other peoples' reviews. It's lovely farm in rural italy, surrounded by fascinating people to hang out with. If you like farms and want to spend time making new friends, it's perfect!

Our room was quite large and nice with our own private bathroom. To give you a picture of the level of hospitality, when we arrived, one of the volunteers had left us a bottle of wine and a wonderful note congratulating my wife and I on our marriage. Rooms were also clean thanks to the great volunteers.

My only "warning" to potential travelers is that the experience is quite social; at least it was for us. It would, for example, be extremely difficult to hole up in your room, eat alone, and not interact with anyone outside of your party. This is one of the farmstay's biggest strengths, too, though. You truly feel like an honored guest in the family's home. It's a feeling that I have never experienced while on travel before, even in nice B&Bs and upscale hotels.

We'll be back!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nmalyska
Naples, Italy
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Our Family recently spent an incredible weekend at ItalyFarmStay in Pescosolido, Italy. We have never ever been to a place where we have felt so welcomed and the hospitality was simply amazing! Antonello, Giuseppe, Maria Siragusa and the volunteers on the farm made our stay such a memorable one as they welcomed us with their arms wide open. After one day on the Farm we all felt like part of the family.
We had always been looking for a place where we could take our children and expose them to life on a farm. We called and fortunately were luckily able to make reservations on short notice. The entire team at ItalyFarmStay was extremely friendly, cordial, flexible and helpful throughout our entire weekend stay. Our children were able to spend vast amounts of time with the animals and learning about life on the farm. The Farm is ideal for just about anyone regardless if you are single or married with children. There are a vast amount of activities for people of all ages to enjoy during their stay. We took the opportunity to take our children horseback riding, took a cooking class and even learned how cheese is made by a local Sheppard. On our last day, Giuseppe (Papa) took us out to pick fresh Fig and apples from the trees on the Farm. All the food and wine which is prepared and served is grown organically on the Farm. Best of all it is absolutely delicious!
I HIGHLY recommend a trip to ItalyFarmStay to anyone looking for a little something different to do. Trust me, one visit to the Farm and you will be planning your return visit. We are already planning for our next visit to the Farm and are looking forward to the adventures that await us!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Based on the overall wonderful reviews here, and Italy Farm Stay's well-designed website, and the fact that they offered yoga, truffle hunting, etc., for some reason I was expecting a bit more of a 'yuppie' farm experience....where the rooms would be a bit nicer...where it might feel a bit more upscale. I only mention this so that others do not make the same wrong assumptions that I did....

I stayed in a room in the building located opposite the 'main house' (the main house being what I'd call the house where the kitchen/dining room are located).

My room was a bit more 'rustic' than I was expecting. A few spiders here and there...a centipede. The room decor left a bit to be desired with beds that were one step up from cots and with mismatched sheets/afghans/comforters (and they weren't mismatched in a nice 'country style' btw...). My room had two twin beds pushed lengthwise up against the wall; it didn't make for an attractive look. The bathroom light was essentially a bulb hanging from wires in the wall. The room felt uninviting enough that beyond sleeping and showering, I didn't want to spend any time in there, and preferred to brave the chill outdoors just so I wouldn't have to be in the room. There was unattractive blond-wood furniture which consisted of a small dresser, and a table/desk with a chair pushed up against a bare wall.

Heat in the room was negligible, this during chilly mid-October. There was a total of maybe 20 minutes of tepid warm air occasionally coming out of a 'fan' heater during the two timeframes of the day that heat was supposed to be on. As a result, sleeping at night in these rooms, the bed sheets felt a bit chilly and damp....it didn't make for a very inviting bedtime experience for me. I tried not to think about it as I climbed into the bed, reminding myself that it wasn't going to kill me to sleep in a chilly slightly damp feeling bed (and in a room with some spiders), and that soon enough I could be back home in my own bed. (In case you can tell, I've never been much of the camping type! :-) I also made sure to pull the bed away from the wall so that no bugs might climb on board from the wall!

Mind you I am normally not a high-maintenance type when it comes to accommodations. Usually I stay in very simple pensiones when I travel, or else I utilize the airbnb.com or similar to stay in someone's apartment. I was not expecting any hotel-type amenities here...but I did expect that my room would be a bit nicer feeling. I also wasn't expecting the room to be quite so chilly and damp....

The rooms in the main house (where the kitchen and dining room are located)... I suspect they are a bit less 'rustic' from what I could see of them. The communal bathroom that these rooms share looked very nice and I seemed to see someone cleaning it on a daily basis.

I took a yoga class one day and it seems there is no real location for it to occur, and that they go on the assumption that the weather will be hospitable, so it is done either on the grass or on the concrete patio. All yoga is done in standing poses as there are no mats. The instructor is apparently a guy from the area who they call in whenever guests want to do yoga, and he seemed to be a pretty knowledgeable teacher. I didn't participate in any other activities the farm offers so can't comment on those.

I think it would be nice if the farm had a indoor communal place for guests to relax, read, converse, etc, especially during the colder months. However, such a room did not seem to exist, so most people would sit on the veranda outside when they wanted to socialize, even though it could be quite chilly during the morning/evening hours....

I saw a review here that mentioned that the farm itself was a bit dirty... I wasn't going to mention that initially, as I'm not very knowledgeable in how most farms look, but I myself did think that as well in certain areas, especially in the barn where the rabbits and pigs were kept; depending on how the wind would blow, sometimes while sitting up on the outdoor veranda you'd get quite a stench coming from that area.... In this same area they also seemed to store their large jugs of wine that were fermenting, amidst quite a bit of clutter, webs etc. It did feel a bit 'yucky' to me....

The volunteers at the farm were all very nice and quite interesting individuals in their own ways, with many interesting stories to tell about what brought them to the farm, and their plans for the future.... It was nice being able to interact with them.

The meals at the farm were all quite good overall. I was very satisfied with all the meals. Breakfast was served buffet-style and generally consisted of coffee/ tea, sliced tomatoes, fresh figs, toast and jam. While we all received our own plates of food for lunch and dinner, the meal was more or less family-style insofar as it was communal and in a very relaxed atmosphere.

As indicated on the website, you can walk to the town of Sora for a change of scenery, to go to a restaurant, etc. The walk to Sora was a bit of a hike...a good hour on the main roads. I understand it's shorter if taking the shortcut on trails through the countryside...
The town of Sora was small but certainly cute enough..

Antonello and and all his family were very nice and accommodating. It really felt like one big family while I was there...very relaxed and friendly.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Lynn N
italyfarmstay, Proprietario at Italy Farm Stay, responded to this review, November 20, 2010
Dear Yippee1999.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our farmstay. We are very glad you enjoyed staying with us, the meals and that it felt like a family, this is very important to us. Thank you for the suggestions about the room number 2. We are planning on making improvements based on your useful suggestions.
Concerning the communal rooms for colder months we use the room inside, what you call the main house. There is a fireplace and people are invited to sit by the fire (the same area where we also serve breakfast and dinner) . It is nice and cosy and our guests love to sit and hang out there. I am sorry but we actually started lighting the fire just a couple of days after you left.
We are also planning on moving the barns a bit further away in the near future. If we will get the permit in the same area there will also be a swimming pool for our dear guests. Fingers crossed! So the whole area will go through a significant change with an area further down the olive trees for all the barns.
I am sorry that you thought your room was a bit cold. We have complimentary three hours of heat per day for the colder months. Two in the evenings and one in the morning. If our dear guests prefer it to have it on longer, that is possible for 0.90 euro per hour (unfortunately utilities in Italy are renowned to be very expensive and we are forced to charge for extra heat as all the other agriturismo do).
I wish you had talked to me since we could have arranged even just a couple of extra hours of heat, which I think would have made a big difference to the remainder of your stay.
We are looking forward to hosting you in the future and in the meanwhile we will make sure to make lots of improvements so that your stay with us will be even more memorable.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pescosolido
B&B Portella Delle Fate
#1 of 3 in Pescosolido
Agriturismo la Pesca
Agriturismo la Pesca
#1 of 2 in Broccostella

Been to Italy Farm Stay? Share your experiences!