“I love Italy Farmstay”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Melbourne
“I love Italy Farmstay”
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I spent 3 nights at Italy farmstay and it was the best three days of my 6 week of trip to Europe. Having always preferred a quieter more natural lifestyle, Italy Farmstay was the perfect break from the busy European city experience. In my opinion Italy Farmstay is the ideal way of life. Delicious food, lovely company, fresh air and beautiful surroundings with minimal environmental impact... plus roasted chestnuts. What more could one possibly ask for? I highly recommend italy farmstay to all (nice) people.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
5 Thank cs09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 26, 2010

I stayed at Italy Farmstay for two weeks. Located between Rome and Naples, the surroundings are truly striking and not at all what I expected. You are surrounded on all sides by impressive snow-topped peaks and stone farmhouses dotting the countryside. Because this area is not on the usual tourist cycle, it offers you a unique, albeit intense, chance to submerse yourself in the lives of everyday Italians. The people that I met were all very friendly and willing to work with me, despite my slow and probably incorrect use of their language. People offered me rides, free cheese and wine, smiles, and general kindness. While I was there, I got to explore abandoned houses in the mountains, taste homemade gnocchi, pizza, pasta, bread, olive oil, wine, and eat fresh persimmons right from the tree. Local eateries cater to locals so you can see what life is like here. The farm itself is an actual working farm, not a glitzy resort or an upscale B&B. Giuseppe, Antonello's father, continually taught me (in Italian of course) that life is like a beautiful song, an idea that one should really embrace when coming here in order to enjoy it to the fullest. Staying here is not just a place to sleep, it is an experience. they have a website that is really easy to remember: italyfarmstay.com.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank lkraege
Chicago
Reviewed December 2, 2009

Italy Farm Stay was a unique experience and I'd highly reccomend it for someone looking for something slightly out of the ordinary tourist route.

Staying on a working farm is very interesting and you definitly don't feel like a tourist while here - everything is very local. All the food, wine, etc are home made and the town is a traditional Italian village with no tourists (which we prefer).

The dinners were delicious. There were 2 courses plus bread and local wine. You could order meat if you wanted in advance, otherwise, you it was vegetarian. The cost for dinner was £9 - you certainly can't beat that for the quality you recieved!

The dinner was sometimes uncomfortable though. You eat with other guests and volunteers and no one really talked to one another. Everyone ate very quickly and I am a big food / wine person and like to enjoy a meal. I wish there would have been more conversations or someone to help make you feel comfortable and engaged during dinner.

The cooking class was great. A very unique experience. The only strange thing was you had to pay for the class and then pay to eat the food you cooked. This seemed weird - would even prefer if the class cost slightly more, but then the food was included.

The waterfall hike is really pretty - we went on our own though and got a little lost with the hand drawn map.

Parking is easy and free.

Heat is only free during certain hours, but you can go into the main area near the fire if you like.

We could not get our Wifi to work. They had one computer, but it was in the staff hallway so you felt a little odd using it. Plus, there was a charge.

It is dog friendly.

I wouldn't reccomend this for the luxury traveler, but if you are looking for a unique, local and insightful experience, this is the place to be.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank apk2611
Canoga Park
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Italy Farm Stay
Just wanted to add my two cents to Jennifer's comments on Italy Farm Stay and Antonello. My friend and I stayed there in April and we had a nice time. We thought Antonello was genuine and very knowledgeable, helpful and patient with us. He and his father even pulled our car out of a ditch when we went a little too far backwards while turning around that small road.....also I'm not sure how old you are but we are 66 years old and we didn't mind the walk up the mountain to the wonderful cheese- making class. We even got samples of the pecorino cheese, ricotta and whey..all delicious! We walked up to the "stone hut" around 5pm in the afternoon and we didn't think it was "the hardest hike we've ever done". Matter of fact, it was quite easy and quite interesting even if it was uphill all the way. Sadly, we missed out on Gunther's organic garden (boo-hoo) but every time we tried, it rained "cats n' dogs". We were there in April 2009. Both my friend and myself felt that everyone was quite friendly and genuine especially mother and father of Antonello...very sweet people!
Mary/Loretta <email>
Los Angeles/Boston, CA/MA USA 11/05/2009

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank H20town
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Okay so here's the lowdown I was in Europe for a long Eurotrip decided to go to ItalyFarmStay because I found it on Rick Steve's forums. Overall it was a great experience and certainly a highlight of my trip but that's mostly because it is so DIFFERENT from other experiences. Which is a good thing. But I feel like it could be better...
Negatives: Many interesting activities are offered but it's hard to get Antonello to actually arrange them for you... you need to keep bothering him about it.
The volunteers are pretty cliquey.
Antonello is really nice but almost in a fake-nice sort of way, like he's been doing this for too long.
Another negative is that I was traveling with a friend and we did book only a few weeks in advance but still.... we were placed into a room that was absolutely TINY and was clearly meant for volunteers and not for paying guests. This really upset me as the other rooms were MUCH MUCH larger and nicer. I felt that we were ripped off!

Positives/Suggestions for activities:
Amazing and refreshing to be surrounded by Italians who do not speak English, unlike in Rome, Florence, Venice, etc. Walk the 45 min into Sora and get some meats and cheeses at the "BUFFALO MOZZERELLA" place. Be prepared for your shoes to get ruined while walking over and some interesting Jesus artwork on the path haha. The path is kind of hard to follow so make sure you ask for directions and explanations from Antonello or a volunteer before heading out. Be warned that the trip to the shepherd is amazing BUT you have to walk about 30 minutes straight uphill and it's really steep and Antonello walks REALLY quickly so you are left lagging behind gasping for air with the other tourists. And it's super early in the morning, and it gets cold up in the mountains so be sure to bring a jacket.
I heard the horseback riding is fantastic but unfortunately didn't get to try it because Antonello didn't get around to planning that one for me-- should have pushed harder.
Oh and here's a little tip that a fellow guest at the FarmStay gave me: at night, walk out of the farm and onto the road. Follow the road up as it winds into the hilltops. You will walk past MANY barking dogs and it's sort of scary (actually REALLY scary) but don't be scared because the big dogs are all behind fences and the ltitle dogs just bark, trail behind you, then eventually stop following you. Eventually you will come to an area with minimal lights and it's perfect for star-gazing!

Oh and be SURE to head over to the sister farm, about a 20 minute walk. No electricity and all organic farming there. Run by Guenther from Austria and another guy from France I believe. They have a 500-year old brick oven and love making pizza for the guests of the farm! Ask Guenther for a tour of the farm and ask him to show you the trick with the chickens. He'll even prop a chicken up on your arm if you want! So hilarious! Like a parrot on your arm... only it's a chicken. Chicken's feathres are super soft, by the way. Buy some olive oil or grappe from Guenther, it's really tasty and cheap!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jsoko22
Ottawa Hills, OH
Reviewed October 10, 2009

One thing that needs to be considered by everyone looking to stay at Italy Farm Stay – it is indeed a WORKING farm, and probably not for everyone. It is not a typical B&B, and it is certainly not a hotel. I only mention this because, since our return, I have read several reviews on various websites by people who seemed to expect the same sort of services that one might find at a full service hotel.

That being said, our room was recently renovated, spacious and quite nice. We did need to ask for more towels due to the shower door being broken, but they were cheerfully and quickly delivered.

As you would expect on a farm, there were roosters crowing (starting at 4am one morning!), dogs barking, and various other farm animals making the noises that farm animals make. Of course, there are also the flies, smells, and the animal droppings that come with being on a farm. (Tip: Be sure to clean your shoes thoroughly before going through immigration.)

When we arrived, we were warmly greeted by one of the volunteers, followed by Antonello (the owner), and shown to our room. We knew in advance (from thoroughly reading the Farm Stay website) that the only thing included with our 24 euro per night room was a light breakfast. We received exactly what was listed on the website. However, we were able to supplement breakfast with all the fresh figs we wanted from the trees – what an amazing treat! We ate dinner all three evenings at the farm, and were NEVER disappointed – even when we ate the pasta that we made during our class with Maria! ☺ Everything was fresh, homemade, and organic. We also ate sandwiches and/or salad for lunch once or twice. Those, too, were very, very good. The prices for everything are clearly listed on the website. You pay for your room upfront, and the rest is “pay as you go.”

The weather wasn’t always cooperative (and we did not arrive by car), but over the course of 3 days we had enough nice weather to allow us to hike up to the “rustic” farm (where the some of the volunteers live), walk/hike to Sora and back, ride bikes into and around Sora (the old side of the river) and hike up to the castle. We also walked up to Pescosolido – a little town about an hour’s walk up the hill/mountain from the farm. FYI - If walking or hiking is not something you really enjoy, it would be a very good idea to have your own vehicle.

While we enjoyed the activities the weather allowed us, we actually found the best thing about Italy Farm Stay was the people. Antonello, his parents, Maria and Giuseppe, and all of the volunteers we were lucky to have met while there, were warm, welcoming, incredibly interesting, and a great deal of fun!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sharylk224
Delray Beach, FL
Reviewed September 29, 2009

I just returned from a ten day stay with Antonello, Maria and Guiseppe Siragusa on their family farm in Lazio, between Rome and Naples on the edge of the Abruzzi National Park. I decided to stay in a separate newly renovated apartment which was off the premises, about a fifteen minute gorgeous walk up the hill. It gave me an opportunity to live amongst the people of Forcella, a small village nearby. It has a kitchen which I used to prepare most of my own meals. I did enjoy breakfast with everyone each day and three dinners. The food was excellent. I also was able to pick figs, grapes and vegetables from the trees and the garden. That was heaven itself. The hiking was fantastic, and since I was on my own and didn’t have a cell phone, Antonello loaned me one. What I really noticed was a very kind and loving feeling from the type of guests that come to Italy Farm Stay. Not only will I return to Italy Farm Stay, but I will bring a group. I am the Director of Circle of Life Holistic Programs in Delray Beach, FL.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pescosolido
B&B Portella Delle Fate
#1 of 2 in Broccostella
B&B La Torretta dei Conti
B&B La Torretta dei Conti
#1 of 3 in Campoli Appennino

Been to Italy Farm Stay? Share your experiences!