“Great Hiking, Food, Interaction with locals and other travelers.”
Review of Italy Farm Stay

Italy Farm Stay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Delray Beach, FL
“Great Hiking, Food, Interaction with locals and other travelers.”
Reviewed September 29, 2009

I just returned from a ten day stay with Antonello, Maria and Guiseppe Siragusa on their family farm in Lazio, between Rome and Naples on the edge of the Abruzzi National Park. I decided to stay in a separate newly renovated apartment which was off the premises, about a fifteen minute gorgeous walk up the hill. It gave me an opportunity to live amongst the people of Forcella, a small village nearby. It has a kitchen which I used to prepare most of my own meals. I did enjoy breakfast with everyone each day and three dinners. The food was excellent. I also was able to pick figs, grapes and vegetables from the trees and the garden. That was heaven itself. The hiking was fantastic, and since I was on my own and didn’t have a cell phone, Antonello loaned me one. What I really noticed was a very kind and loving feeling from the type of guests that come to Italy Farm Stay. Not only will I return to Italy Farm Stay, but I will bring a group. I am the Director of Circle of Life Holistic Programs in Delray Beach, FL.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed September 22, 2009

We planned a too-short stay at the farm in between days and nights in Paris and Rome. We knew a peaceful stay would be a healthy break in pace and ready us for further exploration.

We did not make it all the way to the waterfall the day we began because the heat and sticky flies were challenging. I would happily do it again but would start immediately after the wonderful farm breakfast before the day heats up. Part of the challenge was that we were there in early September. I'm sure the walk is cooler earlier in the year. Still we had a wonderful chance to walk the roads around the area, tour the other farm and visit the beautiful little town of Pescosolido above the farm.

We found the locals cautious but happy to converse (challenging with my limitations on Italian) once they knew where we were staying. We were checking Antonello's map once and a friendly gentleman in another neighboring town asked "ahh, Antonello!". The farm is well accepted in the area.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank msatterwhite
Chicago
Reviewed August 31, 2009

When traveling in Venice a couple of years ago, I ran into some Americans who told me about this place and I just got back from visiting there. I had an incredible time.

The best thing was how cheap it was compared to any other place I visited on my trip (Rome, Florence, Pisa, Cinque...) 9 euro for a two course dinner of home made organic food, the horseback riding, cheese making, and truffle hunting were all incredible.

Italy Farm stay is perfect if you're looking for an authentic Italian experience. It's not a five star hotel, but has all the basic creature comforts plus some really amazing experiences.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank JackCNewell
hants
Reviewed August 23, 2009

Miriam and Jason King, Fareham ,Hants
Just got back from two weeks staying here, a farm that also has accomadation. The positives, lovely views nice clean room, great food by Maria, met some interesting people and made new friends! the negatives, nearest town Sora, 45 min walk which is not bad but when it was 38 C bit tough! so would advise maybe august is not a good time to visit, also there are not many restaurants in Sora so if you are staying a while you are a bit limited, infact i would say that this place is more suited to a short stay unless you have a car and even then there is only a few places nearby of any interest. also be aware that in the summer the mosquitoes are out in force! so to some up ; ideal for back packers only staying a short time Maria's cooking is wonderfull, best visited out of season, friendly and helpfull staff, and having visisted a lot of Italy staying in these sort of places, lovely place but not in the best of locations and at least 45 mins from the Abruzzi national park by car.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
Reviewed May 24, 2009

My daughter and I traveled in Europe for a month and our three night stay at the farm was a highlight!! It really gave a chance to experience the rural charm of Italy.
We were so welcomed by Antonello, Maria and Gessepi. At the farm there was so much to do as well as every opportunity to get the relaxation we needed in the middle of our busy trip.
We would highly recommend the morning visit to see the making of the cheese, horseback riding and the cooking class with Maria. These extras were so reasonably priced and are the stories we tell our friends when we look back on this trip.
The other guests were a pleasure to meet as well. We enjoyed spending our meals and adventures with the new friends we made at the farm.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank travelbugsVancouver
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed March 29, 2009

We arrived in Sora by bus from Rome at 11:30PM, cold, hungry and exhausted. We had been traveling all day from Buchurest Romania. Antonello swooped down from the farm and picked us up within ten minutes of our call. We asked if he could possibly have something for us to eat and a glass of wine. When we arrived his mother Maria was still up. She agreed immediately to cook us a full dinner. We would have been happy with bread and cheese. Out comes the homemade wine and fresh spinach and ricotta ravioli made only hours before. There was second course of vegetables and fresh bread. A fire was burning the kitchen fireplace. Some other guests were hanging out and we chatted. Unbelievably, Maria and Antonello stayed up until 1:30AM to make sure we were full, warm and happy. This was the excellent care we received during our three day stay.

Antonello and his parents Guiseppe and Maria are generous and attentive hosts. The prices are reasonable and the value outstanding. Antonello enthusiastically asks for suggestions from guests about how to improve the farm.

The other guests and the volunteers (learning ecofarming, Italian and trading their work for room and board) were delightful and added so much to our stay. We became friends.

A few tips...The weather was cold at night when we stayed at the farm. We were in the building next to the main house. The room was immaculate and comfy. If however you are cold, Antonello will keep the heat on the room beyond the standard nighttime amount of three hours if you ask him. There is a 70 cent Euro charge per hour. This is standard at hostels/B&Bs in Italy. If you are a larger group Antonello will put extra beds sleeping up to five in the rooms in the building next to the main house. These rooms are newer with bathrooms ensuite and would be perfect for a family or friends who don't mind sharing. He is also adding AC to one room this year. It will be a little extra but if it is important to you just ask. Antonello offered many activities including horseback riding, cheese making, language and occking classes. He will arrange all of this for you. Lastly, walk into Sora for gelato. Take the route out the back of the farm though the fields for a peaceful stroll. If you are walking back at night make sure you take some change for a phone, directions back to the farm, the address and Antonello's phone number in case you have problems. We took the road not the farm trail back at night (too dark and you have to cross a small creek). Remember, you will not find a taxi in Sora to take you back to the farm.

We would go back to Italy Farm Stay in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed October 30, 2008

Working several months in the heart of Rome, a weekend visit to the countryside was a must for some rest, relaxation, peace and quiet. I found Italy Farm Stay by accident on the internet. Because of its proximity to Rome, the accessibility by bus, and the activities offered, I was on my way without any recommendations. Italy Farm Stay exceeded expectations. This small family run farm is just outside Sora in a little town called Pescosolido located at the foot of Abruzzi National Park. From the moment I got off the bus in Sora, I didn’t have to think about a thing. Antonello, his parents, Maria and Giuseppe are welcoming, accommodating and down to earth. It felt like home away from home. The accommodations are simple, very comfortable and clean. I stayed for two nights in the double room with bathroom (room number 1). The view from my room was wonderful - landscape dotted with farm animals, olive, fruit and walnut trees offset by the panoramic mountain terrain. On the day of my arrival, I walked the grounds of the farm with Antonello’s two small dogs guiding the way. I spent mornings amongst the chickens, donkeys and goats, picking olives to be pressed into olive oil. Maria taught me how to make pasta and a mushroom sauce from scratch. I ate heartily and drank homemade wine. Afternoons were spent either hiking to the waterfall, walking back roads lined with abandoned homes or horseback riding. Overall a very beautiful, memorable and relaxing weekend.

• Liked — Location, beauty
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pescosolido
B&B Portella Delle Fate
#3 of 3 in Sora
B&B Al Colle
B&B Al Colle
#1 of 3 in Pescosolido

Been to Italy Farm Stay? Share your experiences!