“Super Experience!”
Review of Italy Farm Stay

Italy Farm Stay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 7, 2012

My two night stay at Italy Farm Stay was a joy in every way....from Antonio's excellent driving directions, to Maria's excellent homemade food. Their patience & caring to answer all my questions (they understand & speak English very well) complimented their fabulous hospitality. Italy Farm Stay accommodations were very clean, comfortable, organized, and it's all anyone would want in any accomodation.

Eating fresh figs off the trees each day, hiking to waterfall, learning how cheeses are made, learning to hand make pasta and discovering different fruits were all a treat. While there, I laughed a bunch, and the other guests also had a super time. Their B & B helpers were very friendly, informative and good leaders of activities.

Next visit to Italy, I'll speak better Italian and when we stay at Italy Farm Stay, I'll enjoy it even more when able to communicate with Papa Siragusa who is a welcoming, friendly man and a super farmer. Stay there for a unique and warm experience.
Anthony Franco, Gatlinburg, TN

Room Tip: My window faced the fruit trees, as I requested.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Fred_TN

Reviewed January 23, 2012

I spent 4 nights at the farm. I had a very relaxing time, enjoying the farm itself and the peaceful surroundings, as well as the town of Sora that is nearby.

Maria, Antonello's mother, is a fantastic lady! I enjoyed our many conversations in Italian!! She is very down to earth and she made my stay very special. Giuseppe and Antonello were wonderful as well....

I must mention the food -- It was STUPENDOUS! Maria is a spectacular cook, and all the ingredients are organic and grown on the farm....Grazie alla bella famiglia Siragusa!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Our family of four (two girls 8yrs and 5yrs) spent a week with Antonello, his mother and father, and his family of volunteers! We had a wonderful time getting to know everyone, having family meals with the volunteers, planting lettuce, riding Leah the Donkey, walking to town, and building things around the farm. Samantha (8) had her birthday there and Maria made a huge cake for her. Sam: "I liked feeding the animals and making an olive-tree fort and olive-tree crowns. " Macy (6): "Thank you for letting us stay there, my favorite thing was helping out at the farm."

Wonderful people and a great vacation. We highly recommend it!

Bill, Cathy, Samantha, and Macy

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Catherine A
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I had a lovely stay at the farm for 3 short days! The surrounding of the beautiful mountains, the many many olive trees, fresh air and last but not least a very warm welcome from Antonello and his family, made this trip well worth :)

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Although our stay at the farm was short we enjoyed every minute of it. There are so many things you can do within the farm itself and in the surrounding woods and around the town of Sora. Some of the things we did were help plant trees for the Orso and Friends group in the mountains, take a hike to a waterfall in the National Park, visit the Bear Sanctuary at Campoli and climb to the fortress in Sora. Sora is also a beautiful little town, the old town is wonderful and the surrounding views are breathtaking. There is also a lovely market every Thursday morning that stretches along the river bank.
The farm was wonderful, and Antonello and his family were great hosts. The pick up and drop off service fromt he train/bus station in great. The family try their best to cater for all your needs and are very accommodating. The communal dinners were always the highlight of the night with Maria's wonderful cuisine. Always fresh produce and incredibly tasty.
Overall, we would not hesitate going back to stay here again. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend this place if you are looking for a relaxing but fun-filled getaway.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2011

My friend and I stayed with Antonello and his family for four nights in October, and I’m considering ways to extend my student visa so I can go back and stay longer!

Antonello and his family were so comfortable to be around. I was nervous at first about staying in another family's home, but they were so relaxed about it that I quickly relaxed as well. They were so inclusive; even though I was staying for only a few days and there was a little bit of a language barrier between me and Antonello’s parents (Antonello speaks perfect English), it felt like everyone was genuinely interested in getting to know me. It was also a blast getting to know the volunteers who work there. My friend and I are both 20 years old, American, women, and close in age to the volunteers who were there at the time, so getting to know some of them (they came from all over the place (Holland, England, Australia, America, etc) really added to the experience and made the farm feel like a community.

My friend and I spent most of the time hiking in the area around Sora. We visited a 500 year old castle and ate lunch on the walls, and hiked up to Pescosoledo (a small hilltop town with a wonderful view) and snacked on meats and cheeses we bought in Sora in the woods near the town. For anyone who likes nature but doesn't want to have to plan a big complicated excursion, this area is perfect. My friend and I are studying in Florence, and it was revitalizing to get to spend some time among trees and mountains. But even walking to Sora from the farm is gorgeous. The farm grounds are beautiful (and filled with delicious fig trees), the path to Sora winds between trees and next to other farms, and the town itself has so much to offer, my friend and I spend an entire day wandering around Sora and exploring its central piazza and surrounding neighborhoods. The town felt much more peaceful as well, particularly as compared to the touristy, somewhat chaotic Florence.

On one of the days when the weather was threatening rain, my friend and I stayed inside and learned how to make pasta from scratch during the cooking class with Antonello’s mom. She is so much fun to be around, and is an AMAZING cook! Every night I went to bed completely stuffed on delicious food that was all organic and from the farm. I ate meat with the meal, but I would not have been dissatisfied if I’d chosen to eat vegetarian. My friend and I usually walked down to Sora in the morning after breakfast for a bit more food because we are used to eating bigger breakfasts, but the homemade bread and jellies that were out on the breakfast table were delicious and hard not to consume in massive quantities!

One last thing: I’d recommend bringing a warm coat and warm pajamas if you’re planning on visiting in the fall, as it can get pretty chilly in the evening.

I hope you decide to visit! It's worth it!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lindsey D
Reviewed October 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed on the farm (or rather on the sister farm) for a tragically short 4 days. Even in those 4 days though we were able to pick up on both the warmth and knowldedge of Antonio and his family, and the BEAUTY of the surroundings. Here are a few highlights:

Visiting the shepherd at 5am to watch him make cheese - the smoked ricotta is a MUST try!
Going on a 10 hour hike to the local waterfall - a hike Antonio told us would take 4 hours but nevermind - the experience was amazing - although be warned the water fall is COLD - not a swimming adventure!
Walking in town (1 hour each way!?) and have life changing Buffalo Mozarella pizza
Drinking organic wines made on the farm for 4 euros a carafe!
Eating Marias roasted vegetables at dinner
Picking organic figs from the trees on our hike.
Having meals with the other guests around the farm table!

Low Points:
Eating the WORST gelato of my life in town. Seriously - Italy - what happened!?!

Gelato aside our trip was amazing and we are already plotting a return with friends. The rooms, although basic, are SUPER clean and a total deal. The only downside was that construction work at the sister farm starts early so there is no sleeping in - not that you would want to! Getting there from Rome also takes about a day so allow yourself time - but the transfers etc are surprisingly hassle free. Antonio is also very kind and his family are delightful!! Not a 5 star luxury trip in the traditional sense of the word... but one of the bes tholidays we have ever had!!! GO!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EmiliaLonon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pescosolido
B&B Portella Delle Fate
#1 of 2 in Broccostella
B&B La Torretta dei Conti
B&B La Torretta dei Conti
#2 of 3 in Campoli Appennino

Been to Italy Farm Stay? Share your experiences!