“Should have been a much better experience...”
Review of Pheasant's Rise

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ballon
Pheasant's Rise
Ranked #2 of 2 Ballon B&B and Inns
San Ramon, California
“Should have been a much better experience...”
Reviewed May 21, 2007

I stayed here for six nights with my family on a recent trip to Ireland. We were in Ballon village for my brother's wedding and stayed at Pheasant's Rise with my wife, three kids, mom and two nieces (4 rooms, six nights). The rooms were nicely decorated, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent. Allister the husband was very nice and good natured (he even loaned me his GPS unit for a few day trips to Dublin and Kilkenny). Helen his wife was cold and unfriendly. Christina (Helen's mother) was nice and somewhat helpful until the "laundry situation". Since we were staying for more than a few days, my wife and mom asked about doing some laundry (was there a place nearby?) Helen and Christina agreed that they could easily wash a few loads for a nominal fee - "it won't break the bank" - Christina. $80 euro later we had our laundry and were stunned and in disbelief at the outrageous charge. They were very nasty about the price and Helen then refused to speak to us for the rest of our stay (the local laundry did two big loads for $20 euro a few days later).
Another issue - no common area for us to sit and relax in - we gathered in my mom's room and sat on beds and chairs. Finally, the most annoying problem was the turning on/off of the heat and hot water constantly. I felt as if we were children asking them to turn the hot water/heat on repeatedly - hello, I'm paying you money to stay here! I hate to be so negative, but this is a poorly run B & B and Helen was obscenely rude. Grandpa had a bad habit of smoking right ouside our window during the evening. It's too bad, it could have been great with a few reasonable changes.

• Liked — Breakfast.
  • Disliked — Nasty Helen, getting ripped off on laundry charges, hot water/heat always off, no sitting area
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
17 Thank patricklayne

Couples
Solo
Business

Been to Pheasant's Rise? Share your experiences!