“Delicious gluten free apple tart & coffee in a luxurious & tranquil setting”

Ballykealey Manor Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ballon
Ballykealey Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballon
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Stopped off for a coffee & perhaps a dessert. I was amazed they had gluten free apple tart. Delicious ! Presentation was amazing & most important of all - it tasted devine. Staff were warm, attentive and very professional. I will return !

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Ritabyrne

Reviewed July 25, 2013

The best way to explain my issue with Ballykealey is to outline the interactions I have had with them. The first interaction was lovely. My partner and I visited the venue and talked through all our wishes for our wedding. A price of €60 per person was agreed. The next batch of interactions was fine. Tina Byrne, the wedding co-ordinator got back to me saying that the price had been increased to €65 per person. After a couple of emails and a phonecall we settled on some extras for this price. However, the last batch of interactions was a nightmare…

My partner and I went for a final viewing. We liked the venue but wanted some more information about the food and we requested some free rooms. Three days later we got an email saying that we would get information about the menu in the coming week and that we couldn’t have the free rooms. We were also told about three completely new stipulations, i.e. that we couldn’t have exclusivity of the venue (which, as far as we can recall, had been agreed), that there were now minimum numbers for the package (and we would have to pay an undisclosed amount more if we didn’t achieve them) and that we now had to assume responsibility for all the rooms in the venue for three full nights (just to highlight how ludicrous this last point is – 1) the wedding party only wanted to stay for two nights, and 2) while the whole package we had negotiated to this point was valued at approx €11,000, the rooms represented a potential additional cost of €12,000).

I sent an email noting my distress and left two phone messages for Tina to call me back. When I didn’t hear from her that day or the following day I assumed that she didn’t get my messages. However, when I finally managed to speak to her, Tina told me that she hadn’t had time to return my calls. During this phonecall I expected Tina to ease my mind but instead she shouted at me and reiterated her demands. I was gobsmacked.

Our final interaction was an email from Tina, some of which is noted below. The issue on exclusivity related to the Friday night. In this regard Tina wrote ‘Please note you and I had not previously discussed the proposed B.B.Q and accommodation on the Friday specifically’ but I have handwritten notes from our first meeting about these two points. Related to the minimum numbers Tina wrote ‘we have stated a minimum of 160 guests in your case was because of the additional extras you had negotiated’ but these extras were clearly negotiated for €65 and no extras had been added from that time.

We couldn’t understand why we were being treated this way but the final email gave us some clues. We had told Ian Farrell, the Manager, that we were considering another venue. We had actually been set on Ballykealey Manor but thought it was prudent to have a bargaining chip. Tina wrote ‘Mr Farrell seemed to be of the opinion that you were probably going to go to Kilronan Castle anyway from the discussions you were having with him and if that is the case then I sincerely wish yourself and your partner every good wish with it’. But probably more to the point Tina wrote ‘The General Manager is quite annoyed with me that I had given you such a competitive rate as I had’. The Manager had told us that he had very recently taken over as Manager and that he wanted to make changes. We can only assume he wasn't happy with the price of the package we had negotiated initially and had wanted to make changes to that.

I had really liked the venue and had wanted to go with it but I ended up shaking and in tears following the last phonecall with Tina, so that was the end of that dream. I am utterly appalled by the lack of professionalism I encountered in dealing with the staff at Ballykealey Manor and I feel others should be warned lest they encounter something similar.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
17  Thank tonya m
Ballykealey, General Manager at Ballykealey Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Dear Dr. Madden,

Thank you for considering the Ballykealey Manor Hotel for your Wedding Reception.

We have reviewed all our interactions with you in great detail regarding your recent enquiry for a Wedding Reception on May 31st 2014. In my opinion, it is very regettable that both parties experienced such a breakdown in communication. I'm very dissappointed it has ended in this manner.

We wish yourself and Martin all the best for the future and hope you enjoy your very special day next year.

Ian Farrell

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Myself & my husband just got married at ballykealey manor & I have to say it really was the most incredible day of our lives.
Our guests couldn't say enough good things about the hotel, the staff and the service.
It was a magical day, thanks so much to Tina who was an absolute star throughout the whole wedding & who organised everything in the run up!
A really fabulous place & we would recommend it to everyone who is looking for a really unique & romantic wedding venue :)

• Stayed: June 2013
7  Thank Leelahenry
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I recently stayed at the lodgings for a wedding at this venue. During the reception, the staff were lovely, helpful and attentive. The food was fantastic, and the service impeccable. Overall a beautiful location that I would recommend to anyone looking for a personalized experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank niamh10186338
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My son had his reception here with the guests staying in the hotel and lodges. It was a perfect setting, fabulous food and staff who went out of their way to help and make the day run without a hitch.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Elly C
Reviewed May 8, 2013

went for a confirmation here recently and we should never have bothered. The place was empty apart from the small crowd there for the day. Confirmation means children, something the staff really didnt want to deal with. The waitresses were rude and couldn't get the orders right, food was nothing great, chairs in the small room were damp and there was a bad smell of damp.
The barman was overheard saying to a 10 year old that if the boy went near him again he would kill himself.
The bill was incorrect, charged for invisible guests, maybe we had to pay for the ghosts. The children were charged twice and a baby bowl of sausages and mash was charged at €10.95.
The manager was rude and continued to argue with one of the guests when asked to explain why he charged the amount he did.
The place is looking worn out and so are the staff. I am sure they pull out all the stops for the likes of a wedding but for a small gathering of people it was a disaster.
The attitude of the manager lost him two ladies who may have considered having their weddings there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank tcgw
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were booked in for a seminar, so expected a bit of a kerfuffle when everyone arrived together. However that's not what happened, we were among the earlier arrivals, so no problem then.Got talking to the owner who gave us a bit of the history of the place, over a welcome cuppa and biscuits. I have worked in old Anglo-Irish houses when I maintained telephones, and it was such a pleasure to see one in such condition. Then we were taken to our room, No.5, four poster bed and a mattress so high I felt like a young child, my legs dangled when I sat on the bed. There were two radiators so the room was warm as toast, although it was freezing outside. We went down to the bar/lounge area as the rest of the gang arrived. We had a couple of drinks, then the food came out. This wasn't expected, but the hotel decided we were in need. So lots of cocktail sausages, chicken, battered fish pieces, with a choice of three sauces, as well as sandwiches. Went to bed well sated.
Next morning breakfast was served, it's a long time since I saw egg yolks that yellow, and that tasty, the rest of it was lovely too. Lunch later was simple, yet very tasty. I was not encouraged to lick my plate, my wife can be so mean! Evening dinner was huge, tasty, and went on for four courses, my apple and berry pie being my favourite (simple tastes). Next day was as good, so I reckoned weight was gained.
Now the technicalities, there is a limited WiFi service, it works in reception area, and, strangely in our bedroom. If you are in need there is an Eircom WiFi hotspot that works right through the hotel, so free to Eircom customers, one €uro per day to the rest of us, easy to access. Also don't expect TV in the rooms, this place is for the atmosphere, not watching Eastenders or Dr. Phil.
Final point, when you walk the old stairway you will feel a chill, not a threatening one, just a coolness that says I'm here acknowledge me. To me it felt like a female presence, but as it's something new to me, I may be totally wrong. It didn't feel scary at all, just something I never felt before, take note.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank murfinsurfin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballon
Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
Woodford Dolmen Hotel
The Lord Bagenal Inn
The Lord Bagenal Inn
#1 of 1 in Leighlinbridge

Been to Ballykealey Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!