“A little Gem tucked away in Carlow”

Ballykealey Manor Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ballon
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballon
co laois, ireland
“A little Gem tucked away in Carlow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here this weekend for a family wedding and I just had to share our fantastic experience. The staff were truly lovely people who just couldn't do enough for you, the hotel and the lodges outside were spotlessly clean and spacious and the food was just fabulous. I couldn't praise it enough

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank elma p

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Kilkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

Just back from a midweek break in Carlow. This has to be one of the hidden gems of the south east , long winding avenue with lambs in the fields lead to a truly magical manor house. Ballykealey comes with all the nooks and crannies , four poster beds , acres and acres of wonderful grounds ...the perfect chill out zone of the South East. Many thanks to Ian and Roy and all the staff for a wonderful stay , great nights sleep , super food , value for money , fantastic experience , we'll be back !

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Joanne B
Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

When deciding on a day out last Sunday my wife spotted a post regarding the Pointer Setter Dog Show at Ballykealey Manor Hotel and being canine enthusiasts we decided to go along. We had never been to the Hotel before and were not sure what to expect. Not only did we enjoy the Dog show despite the odd damp shower but when we went inside the Hotel for our lunch we were pleasently surprised and enthralled. At first we thought it all looked a bit grand for us but no sooner had we stepped into reception but we could feel totally relaxed and at home. The staff in the dining area were friendly and helpful and the food was excellent. My favourite was the dessert which was Bread & Butter Pudding. I could not resist as I had not tasted this since my own poor mother many moons ago had made it for me. It was even better than I expected and I applaud Ballykealey for their wonderful menu and friendly and efficient customer service. After lunch we took a nice relaxing walk around the grouds and felt as they we were transported into another world. When we returned home we both felt relaxed happy and refreshed for the week ahead and can assure you we will be making many more trips to Ballykealey in the future.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Foodlover186643
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

Ballykealey country house looks so inviting, the setting so lovely in the midst of beautiful trees and wide expanses of grassland. The building itself is very attractive and the dining room has a relaxing even enchanting atmosphere. A number of us visited there for Sunday lunch recently as we understood that it had recently re-opened for business. On this note, we were willing to be impressed with their renewed efforts in a time of trading when all the stops need to be pulled out, especially when a business is running in the countryside. This was not to be! The service was haphazard and un-coordinated, portions of food minimal. As a party of six, we received 2 small dishes of tasteless vegetables, plus 2 soupbowls (!!) of very mediocre mashed potato. Our veg arrived when we were almost halfway through eating our main courses. There was a very long delay between courses. In general, the food was of a poor standard and presentation. My own dish (pan fried cod with lemon butter, I had asked for the butter to be served separately) arrived swimming in a pool of the butter was seasoned so heavily with salt it made my eyes water! it was a pity because it was probably the best dish served that day with a very nice salsa served underneath the fish. Another of our party received a cremated chicken breast (crumbed!!) with a half roast potato which was also cremated to point of blackness. Salmon terrine (as a starter) was unlike any I have ever eaten before, and do not wish to again.. Mushroom soup served with a pastry cap received a good response from some of the other guests.The bread served in a basket without a napkin to line it, spread its crumbs over the entire table. A simple cup of tea proved to be a new experience, indescribable to all who tasted it but it did look and taste very like green tea.. As I was an invited guest, I made no complaint. However, I really hope that the general standard there improves, Ballykealey has so much potential..

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Ballykealey, General Manager at Ballykealey Manor Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2012
I acknowledge your recent Experience at Ballykealey Manor Hotel and thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback on Tripadvisor.com.

It is very important to me that our guests have a good experience throughout the entire hotel and I cannot offer any excuses to you if we failed, in any way, at what I believe we do best. The least you should expect from a hotel such as ours is to be served in a professional and efficient manner at all times and I am sorry that this was not the case. May I take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience we may have caused you and I assure you that it is certainly not the norm here. I have spoken in length with my Team and although, it may be of little comfort to you now, I am certain that no future guest will have to experience such a poor standard of service.

I hope to welcome you back to our Hotel in the near future and look forward to meeting you personally once again so that I can extend you every courtesy.

Assuring you of my personal service at all times,
Ian Farrell
Ballon
Co. Carlow
Ireland

Travelers are raving about these Ballon hotels

carlow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

this so called hotel was the worst experience i have ever had in a so called hotel. i was attending a funeral meal at this hotel and the first thing i noticed was the delay in serving the people ,then we as a party of four had to go search for a table and chairs,
the food was prepared the day before and reheated and cremated in a mircowave oven,
any time we asked the staff for assistance we were greeted with unapproving looks and one female staff who was pregnant really needs a few lessons in good manners.
the draft beer was undrinkable and the barman proceded to shut down the bar at 7.o clock pm. when some people enquired about rooms they were told that the bedrooms were unavailible even though the hotel was empty. the hotel is now only open at weekends SURPRISE SURPRISE

Room Tip: dont bother
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank martin k
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2010

After recently staying in what could only be described as a dream venue I felt impelled to share my experience! Living 5 mins away from Ballykealey and eating there most Sundays I hadn't actually taken the time or had the occasion to stay in the hotel prior to my friends wedding there. From start to finish our experience was one I wasn't expecting, every guest was made to feel welcome by the extremely friendly and attentive staff. Food and drink was abundant from the moment we arrived from the ceremony! The reception staff were so warm and helpful! It was a rather large wedding 250+ and everything went off without the slightest hitch. The only complaint anyone could have would be that we were so full! Our room was cosy and so tastefully in keeping with the period of the house! I felt like a princess for the night and I wasn't even the Bride!!! I couldn't recommend the place enough and have to say I am shocked at some of the reviews about this hotel, for one thing anyone who couldn't appreciate how hard it would be to heat and maintain a house that is over 200 years old has no appreciation for historical buildings and I also have to say the owner was the most down to earth man I have met in a long time and he had time and a word for everybody there. It was so refreshing!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TravelTemptress
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2009

Stayed one night recently for a wedding. Room was freezing. Two radiators on all night but you could not heat this old house. Mold on the walls. Shower just a dribble. Food poor. Avoid if you can.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Westkerry1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballon
Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
Talbot Hotel Carlow
The Lord Bagenal Inn
The Lord Bagenal Inn
#1 of 1 in Leighlinbridge

Been to Ballykealey Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!