“Incredible from start to finish”

Footfalls Walking Holidays
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Roundwood
More attraction details
Owner description: Footfalls Walking Holidays was founded in 1994 by Christopher and Teresa Stacey. We wanted to share our love and interest in the great outdoors with others so we started guiding individuals and groups in the Wicklow Mountains. Before long we were getting requests from our customers to see more of Ireland than just Wicklow and also do self-guided tours. Today we have expanded to where we are offering guided and self-guided tours to almost every corner of Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the Lake District. Despite out growth almost all of our tours are guided by us, Christopher and Teresa, to guarantee that personal touch.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I just finished 8 days with Christopher on the Cork and Kerry tour. This was my first organized walking tour and it will not be my last as long as I can go with Footfalls. Ordinarily I would shy away from organized groups, but this was so different. It felt like a group of friends taking a trip with a very wise and helpful person in charge. There was never any pressure and everything was done with a great sense of humor. Christopher is just the absolute best. I learned so much from him - about Ireland's history, about the people of Ireland and about the value of doing what you really love. Part of the enjoyment was watching how Christopher interacted with everyone and the way he treats people.
The walking and hiking was terrific and the weather was beautiful. The variety of walking locations, accommodations and restaurants made every day an adventure. I cannot wait to come back.

IrelandChris54, Manager at Footfalls Walking Holidays, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Laurie,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review, we really appreciate it.
Thank you also for taking our tour to Cork & Kerry and we are delighted that you enjoyed the tour.
Until we meet again, keep well and enjoy the rest of the year.

Christopher

in 2 reviews
"own pace"
"wonderful week"

Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I just finished a week of walking in Connemara with Christopher. This was not my first trip with Footfalls, but it was the first for my husband. We cannot say enough good things about Christopher and Footfalls. In every way this is the best way to see Ireland--details attended to; care about every individual in the group to make sure that all are having the best experience; very professional yet so warm and personable. You will feel as though you have joined a very special community, because you have!!!

1  Thank Mary B
IrelandChris54, Owner at Footfalls Walking Holidays, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Mary,

Thank you very much for taking to time to write such a lovely review. Thank you also for taking our tour to Connemara, it was a pleasure to have you both along.

Keep well,

Christopher & all the gang at Footfalls:-)

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Climbed Carrantuohill yesterday with Christopher of Footfalls. What an amazing experience. The weather was wonderful. Christopher was a great leader, lots of fun, full of information, patient and reassuring. Thanks Christopher. This isn't the first time I've walked with Footfalls and it definitely won't be the last. Looking forward to the next one. Walking Festival in Wicklow coming up soon. Susanna

1  Thank Susanna2011
Reviewed September 4, 2012

In July my wife and I took part in the Footfalls Wicklow Way walking tour. We had never been on a walking tour, or any tour group for that matter when travelling out of the U.S., but consider us converts. We thoroughly enjoyed travelling on foot through County Wicklow, and much of that has to do with Christopher and Theresa Stacey, who run Footfalls. You couldn't ask for a better guide than Christopher; his knowledge of the flora, fauna, and history of Wicklow was superb. So were his wit and humor. We thoroughly enjoyed the company of our fellow walkers as well, even though few of us had much in common outside of a strong desire to walk through Ireland. That proved to be more than sufficient as a bonding agent (sharing a few well-earned pints at the end of the day didn't hurt either).

Keep in mind that the definition of "walking tour" may be a little different depending on where you are from. It's more in line with what we consider hiking in the U.S. That was fine with us, since we enjoy day hiking and were quite well prepared. Expect some vertical and expect to pee in the woods.

Footfalls provides great value for they money you spend. The B&Bs we stayed in ranged from perfectly acceptable to much better than expected. Absolutely no complaints. This was our first visit to Ireland and we are already talking about going back. When we do (hopefully sooner rather than later), it will be with Footfalls. It's the only way to see the real Ireland.

Lessons learned: If you're coming from North America and you plan on spending a few days in Dublin either before or after your tour, do it BEFORE. First, it will allow you to adjust to the time change on your pace, not the tour's pace. Second, if the airline temporarily misplaces your checked luggage for a few days (as it did mine), you'll most likely receive it in Dublin before your tour starts. We did Dublin after, hence the lessons learned.

4  Thank nuknon
See more reviews
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Two weeks ago, my wife and I enjoyed an 8 day walking tour of the Wicklow Way, led by Christopher Stacey and his wife, Theresa, of Footfalls Walking Tours. Like most Tripadvisor users, we found the company on the internet, did our research and then made a decision, uncertain of the result. We did not regret anything about our choice, as the entire trip was wonderful, from start to finish. Christopher is such an experienced, knowledgeable and funny man. He keeps a group of varied ages and abilities at just the right pace, and he will often stop and supply information about trees, flowers and history, while helping us to laugh along the way. Although he does trips throughout Ireland and in the UK, this tour felt special because County Wicklow is his home, so we were able to get an intimate sense of the place from someone who has walked these hills his whole life. And the views were spectacular: big glacially carved valleys, green hills in every shade imaginable, quiet woods, heather bogs, and brown, fast-running peaty rivers. At the same time, Christopher and the group (12 walkers) were often content to walk silently and soak in the landscape without cluttering the experience with too many words.

The hikes were perhaps more challenging than I expected (I am 57 and do not visit the gym regularly), but I was able to keep up, and after some of the more steep ascents, I felt like I had earned the reward of a beautiful view. Some of the highlights of the trip included, a pint of Guinness at the end of each walk in the nearest town pub; crossing a thin board walk in a gale-force wind; the stunning gardens at Powerscourt House; exploring the ruins of the monastery of St. Kevin at Glendalough; the Wicklow Heather restaurant in Laragh; the stunning view from the top of the Spinc; the unexpected gourmet meal at our bed and breakfast in Tinahely.

In some ways, I think that Christopher and Theresa go above and beyond what's necessary, as they joined us for dinner most nights and made restaurant reservations if we chose to eat with the group. On the last two day, our guide was Dave, and he was just as knowledgeable and friendly as Christopher, so it's obvious that they are very careful about who else takes out tours. We now have many great pictures and warm memories of our time in Ireland and especially in County Wicklow.

3  Thank terranow