“Wedding guest”
Review of Horetown House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Foulksmills
Horetown House
Ranked #1 of 1 Foulksmills B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

I was here recently for a wedding and found the location to be brilliant,very private.the food was really nice and the staff very friendly.the problems for me was that I felt in places the standard of cleanleness was very poor,on 3 different occasions I walked into cobwebs they were to be seen everywher,the basement bar nice as it is smelt of dampness and finally the price of drinks in the bar were excessive I felt(this is 2012 Hello resession)and this is something a lot of guests commented on and did feel was a rip off.

• Stayed: September 2012
6  Thank Decem01
Horetown H, Manager at Horetown House, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Thank you for your review on Horetown House. We are delighted that you found Horetown house to be great for a wedding and that you found the food to be good. We pride ourselves on being that bit different and offering Guests and wedding guests top class hospitality. We would be delighted if you could contact us directly to discuss the negative aspects of this review as we do have high standards of cleanliness throughout the property and measures to keep these in place so we would like to know exactly what you are talking about. In terms of the damp smell in the 1692 bar, it is located in the cellar of a house built in 1692 with stone walls so unfortunately from time to time you will get a slight smell from the walls which we feel adds to the charm of the property.

Again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again in the near future

Kind Regards
Horetown House

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed in Horetown House with my partner about two weeks ago. We have never been to Wexford, but it is a great place to visit if you enjoy the countryside!

Wen did not know what to expect at Horetown House. We both work in hotels, so we were really hoping for a nice room and lovely visit. When we arrived we were delighted to find out we were in the lackin suite. The whole hotel has obviously undergone massive refurbishment to portray a beautiful historical house, we felt more like guests in a luxurious house rather than a hotel, it was lovely!

Tom and Bernie White, the owners, were both there when we visited the hotel. They were very accommodating and really made is feel at home so we would like to say a massive thank you!
We had bar food on our first night which was delicious so compliments to the chef! The only thing that stopped me from giving a five star is that there is no restaurant during the week. The bar food stops at half nine, however as the hotel becomes more and more popular I have no doubt that this will change! Times are hard in rural Ireland so we pray that more and more people hear about your hotel and enjoy it as much as we did!

There are plenty of places to see in Wexford! Make sure you bring a car and travel to Hooks Head; we also visited a local historical abbey and botanic gardens. Remeber its the sunny south east! The rest of Ireland was raining however we were blessed with great weather.

Overall its a fantastic place, the detail into the refurbishment and antiques is impressive!
I would say for a wedding, it would be fantastic!

Thanks again!!!
Debbie

2  Thank Deborah A
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Booked a suite on a third party site was given a confirmation email detailing what was included in the deal! Unfortunately when we arrived it was not the case. I paid extra for a suite but to be honest I have no idea why .... Never mind the room not been what was described ... No robes no slippers pretty standard in fact ! But it then further disappointed in that it was less than what I wud expect from a standard room ... Not even a hair dryer or the ability to make a cup of tea. We ate in the bar as I was not prepared to pay the price for the dinner in the restaurant as I knew it would not be worth it .... Even worse the pub food was less than the standard expected for even pub grub ... Chips raw salad limp oh I could go on. The most disappointing factor of all was that the staff merely blamed the third party site for the confirmation they sent me and were really unwilling to even throw in a breakfast or something of value . They did offer us a drink or bottle of wine but to be honest I felt like it was just to shut us up ! I appreciate things happen but I won't be back and I certainly would not recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed: August 2012
8  Thank Esther-tusset
Horetown H, Manager at Horetown House, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you for your review and i would like to apologise that your experience was not an enjoyable one. We pride ourselves on offering outstanding service and luxury accommodation. The room that you were staying in is our Young suite and is a fabulous suite with queen size bed separate sitting room and jacuzzi bath ensuite. This suite is decorated to the highest standards and to say that it was less than standard is not the case. The hairdryer is located in the drawer in the sitting room of the bedroom and is detailed in our guest directory as is the fact that we offer complimentary tea and coffee to all our guests you just need to contact reception and this will be arranged for you like many luxury hotels. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us and it seems that you had been put off from the start and that our efforts to try and appease you were in vain. Should we have had another suite with a four poster bed we would have moved you into this but as outlined in the confirmation you received our suites offer either a four poster bed or a separate sitting room.

Please don't hesitate to contact us directly should you wish to discuss this further on the above matter, again apologies for your disappointment in Horetown House Hotel.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

My Boyfriend and I stayed here on the August Bank Holiday weekend and have to say we had a lovely relaxing time. There was a mix up initially when we arrived - as we had received confirmation from a third party booking site that we had been reserved the ‘Bridal Suite’ (Lady Fitzgerald Room) only to be informed by the receptionist that it had been reserved for someone else. We stuck to our guns and in fairness to the staff member she eventually sorted it out and we were shown to our gorgeous bed room.

The room and bathroom were very spacious and comfortable - especially the bed! I was a little disappointed to see that there wasn’t any bathrobe and slippers as promised by the third party booking site. When I enquired with the receptionist she said she “didn’t know” and failed to follow up with “house keeping” for us. The two drawing rooms open to guest were a little dreary as there were multiple flower vases around with flowers a good few days their best. It was a few small things like the robes and flowers that made me feel we were staying in a top-end B&B rather than a Luxury Country House Hotel.

We ate at Horetown on both nights, once in the main dining room and once in the snug 1962 bar. Both meals were excellent and very good value for money. There was a function on in the hotel on the Saturday night which did go on quite late but both of us were so tired that we slept through the noise. Generally I would recommend this hotel no problem for a short break away from the hussle and bustle of city living.

3  Thank Louise B
Horetown H, Manager at Horetown House, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Thank you for staying with us at Horetown House Hotel and for your review. We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed the room and your meals with us. We strive to achieve a friendly and efficient service at Horetown House and are disappointed that this did not come across thoroughly to you. We will take all of your comments on board and learn from these.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Got a ‘Groupon’ deal in this hotel which was 3 nights B&B and 1 evening meal. We were allocated the ‘Lady Fitzgerald Suite’ which I believe is the best room in the house. It was very spacious and well equipped with a very large bathroom. Super four-poster bed and robes and slippers.
Tom and Bernie were very good hosts.
Breakfast in the dining room was very good with an excellent selection of continental fare and freshly cooked full Irish with eggs how you wished.
We had dinner in the dining room 1 night and were very impressed with the service and quality of the food.
All in all it was a very good experience and I have no problem recommending this hotel to anyone. It is a small and intimate boutique experience. You feel you are staying with friends in their house and this has to be one of the best compliments I can pay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian M
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My husband and i stayed here for one night in the Strangeman Davis room. The receptionist was very friendly on check in and we were very happy with our room. Dinner was really nice. Our only gripe was that we had checked in on the basis that it was a ten room hotel and we wanted a booze free relaxing night away in a quiet place. It transpired that the hotel had booked a private party for 150 people and the noise was really loud - we complained and were told it would finish at 1.30 but it actually went on until well after 3am. Also i'm not sure if previous reviews were left by locals / friends or not but we definitely did not find the owners (particularly the man) helpful or particularly friendly. In fairness the lady owner appologised when we checked out and explained they were only really getting started so hopefully it wont happen to others,

5  Thank marcam03

Thank you for your comments on Horetown House Hotel, We take all of our reviews into consideration and learn from each of them. I would like to apologise for the disturbance to you during your stay. We pride ourselves on having friendly and welcoming staff members and i am disappointed that this not come across to you on your stay with us. I would just like to say that all of our reviews are genuine from guests of Horetown House and I hope that our feedback does not come across as fake.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed in Horetown house midweek whilst looking at properties in that locality,we stayed in the Strangeman Davis room and it was top the range very nicely furnished and the beds were really comfy .The hotel had a nice relaxing feel to it with lovely surroundings and good views.The cellar bar is well worth a visit to enjoy a drink by the open fire .The Irish breakfast was excellent as was the bar food .The owners Bernie and Tom are really friendly and helpful and the staff too and I would not hesitate to recommend Horetown house .

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank George M

Been to Horetown House? Share your experiences!