“An overly defensive owner maybe explains why more people don't complain on site”

Dunbrody Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Arthurstown
Cork
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

You know, i have never written a review like this before, let alone responded to one already written, but i was reading the owner's defence of a review written earlier this year re a stay in dunbrody a copuple of years ago, and my thoughts were "oh my gosh, imagine having to deal with that onsite!".

We didn't complain because during our own stay there because there were too many things wrong. It was so over priced for what we received -- the idea of a "rapport qualite-prix" just didn't seem to factor.

You go away for a weekend with some friends for peace and quiet and some fun and relaxation, and you chose somewhere you think is special and you're a big fan of the chef, and then to get poor food and some terribly disinterested service, and all the other little things that were just not right -- you kinda just give up. You chalk it down and you concentrate on enjoying the company and perhaps take the revenge of the meek and laugh at being taken for a ride. Because life is too short you make the most of it and choose not to spend your time complaining but to pursue the good time that brought you there in the first place. But you don't go back.

I so wanted to love Dunbrody. I was such a fan of Kevin Dundon. I didn't want to leave feeling like i had been had but i did, alas

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank ProdigalWoman
dunbrody, Owner at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2010
Dear Prodigal Woman Cork,
Your feedback regarding your recebt stay at Dunbrody is very welcome and much appreciated. We pride ourseleves on a good reputation for both quality of food and service so when a guest is unhappy we are naturally disappointed. All guest comments are taken on board and we will certainly try to build on this.
With Best Wishes
Catherine Dundon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2010

The main part of the house is lovely. The location is nice. The staff are friendly.

We understand that it's an old manor house, so you can't expect everything to be modern and new - but the bed was awful, lumpy, sunk in the middle...it was a nightmare to sleep in....I get the whole 'old country house' experience, but does it have to be so uncomfortable??

The food which you expect to be & should be fantastic was fine..just ok..!! Ok isn't good enough for an expensive night or two away.

All in all it's just not good enough, not near good enough considering the hyped up cost of staying here.

We did not mention any of the above on checking out. A family event so we could not get into it. We didn't choose to stay here and I doubt we'll be returning any time soon.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank uandmeforever
Dear Uandmeforever,
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments through this website. We are sorry that your stay did not live up to expectations and woudl very much have welcomed your remarks at the time of your stay. Our rooms are all different and whilst our matresses are all of orthopaedic standard we do offer different types of beds which we could have suggested and which might have better suited your own preferences.
Hoping we might see you again at Dunbrody in the not too distant future.
Best Wishes
Catherine
Dublin Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

Went for a special birthday treat, and first impressions were disappointing, Again I would say given the price the standard could be better, rooms need work and attention to detail is poor, we stayed in a suite, furnishings shabby, beds very hard, windows dirty, lightbulbs blown, cobwebs on chandeliers on Bathroom needed work, i.e dirty grouting. There was a distinct lack of attention to detail and given this the rooms are massively overpriced. The saving grace was the food both Dinner and breakfast were great and Catherine is a great host, would go back for the food, however would not pay same price for rooms, prices need to be reduced to reflect room standard. Reception staff seem young and unpolished. I would grade the hotel a C minus and food a B plus.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Greybudgie
Thank you so much for your lovely remarks regarding our food and service. We are naturally delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience with us. Regarding our rooms - they are all different and individually styled and each offers something different. It is never a problem to offer an alternative if the initial room is not to a guest's satisfaction and that is why we bring each and every guest to their room and offer a small tour of the hotel on the way. We try to upgrade the 22 rooms on a regular basis but being a small family-run hotel we cannot do a complete overhaul in one go and refurbishing is ongoing on a room by room basis.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Dunbrody, hopefully in the not too distant future.
Kind Regards
Catherine
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

We had our wedding ceremony /reception and next day BBQ for 80 people at Dunbrody House. We anticipated it would be lovely but everything exceeded our expectations. Catherine and Kevin Dundon and their staff were fantastic - we received such excellent service and genuine hospitality. In particular we were delighted with the friendliness and responsiveness of the staff - no request large or small was a bother, the quality of the food and bar service, child friendliness, and the overall ambience and character of the beautiful Georgian country house and grounds for which we had exclusive use.

About half of our guests were accommodated at Dunbrody House (they have ~23 comfortably and tastefully decorated rooms and suites) and the remainder stayed in lovely B&Bs in the adjacent village, Arthurstown, which is in walking distance (5-10 mins) or self catering units in the next village, Duncannon (a five minute drive).

I would not hesitate to recommend Dunbrody House if you are looking for a beautiful boutique wedding in the south-east of Ireland.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

This review has been a while coming as we stayed there in Celtic Tiger times (May 07), but nonetheless I feel obliged to share my experience. Two friends and I decided to treat ourselves to a Fri-Sun weekend stay. We booked ourselves a triple room on a 2BB1D package basis. The cost was €265 per person (closer to about €450 when you factor in a second meal & drinks - or the equivalent of a citybreak in Europe). We'd heard terrific reports about Dunbrody and the weekend was meant as a rare treat for three hardworking mums/careerwomen. We are also real foodies with high standards which we felt Dunbrody would live up to. However, our weekend was, frankly, an unmitigated disaster on both the food & accomodation fronts and here is why.

The room, despite nice bed coverings and curtains which lent it an ititial air of luxury, was quite shabby on closer inspection. There were bits peeling off the (reproduction?) furniture and the paintwork was tired & scuffed. The room was spacious but dark and a little on the depressing side, to be honest. The bathroom was standard hotel bathroom, clean & shiny. Two queen sized beds took pride of place in the room - were two of us meant to share, ahem? - but a look around the corner revealed the presence of a tiny, low, bockety trestle bed which had been installed in the sitting area upon which, presumably, the person who drew the short straw was obliged to sleep. Fine for a small child perhaps but not for an adult woman forking out a hard earned 265 euros! We should have objected but, not wanting to create a fuss (a fatal error as it transpired), I gamely volunteered to take Baby Bear's Bed as my friends were celebrating a birthday and recovering from an illness, respectively. Plus the evening was pushing on and we were in a hurry to get ready for dinner, which we'd booked in the restaurant proper. After the drive from Dublin, the hunger pangs had kicked in.

We had an aperitif in the bar and started to relax into our weekend (although the teeny tiny bed I was paying full price for was niggling me). Dinner was to be a 3 course Set Menu, included that evening as part of our package. Based on Dunbrody's marketing of itself as a bastion of excellent cooking, we were mightily looking forward to it. Who hasn't heard of Kevin Dundon and his flair in the kitchen, given the frequency with which he graces our tv screens to show the nation how to cook and to constantly name check his hotel (that very televisual ubiquitousness should've made alarm bells ring cos if he's up in RTE 100 miles away, he is not in his kitchen...) So, yes, expectations were high and not uneasonably so. The restaurant was warm and inviting with its dark walls, crisp white table linen and silverware - old fashioned country house hotel decor for which I have a particularly fondness. Our waitress was attentive and pleasant. I can't remember our starters now, they were fine I'm sure, but the mains stick in mind for all the wrong reasons. Huge white plates arrived upon which were dotted tiny little specks of food - ooh, an asparagus spear here, a blob of something there, and, omigosh, four dinky little coinsized pieces of lamb. And we'd thought Nouvelle Cuisine had been laughed off these shores back in the 80's! Said lamb was so cold the only conclusion we could come to was that it had not been heated at all. I'm talking COLD. My other friend's Salad Nicoise was an ill advised execution of that dish, being not a salad at all in the expected sense (and I know that talented chefs constantly re-interpret the classics but it's only acceptable if they do so in a way that outshines the original version). This was a tiered 'creation' of some but not all of the necessary ingredients piled on top of eachother into a compact square, rather like a piece of lasagne, with no discernible lettuce leaves or dressing. It was as dry as an old sock. Where were the anchovies, the tuna, the oily, olivey, garlicky salad mix with its crisp greens and boiled egg that is classic Nicoise? But my angelic friend ate it resignedly and without quibble (repressing our quibbles was becoming a theme at this point) - and reported it as 'bland' and 'definitely not a salad'. She's a terrific cook herself so perhaps the knowledge that she'd lick Mr Dundon hands down at his own game gave her some inner satisfaction? I had white fish, which was fine but didn't impress with any particular flavour or presentation - and again, the portion was small. Where was this Kevin Dundon we'd heard such great things about? Our food was bordering on comically bad, and it was most definitely not what we had been led to expect or were paying premium prices for. I would be so bold as to suggest that the man needs to get out of RTE studios and back into his kitchen to cook for customers like us who buy weekends there based on his own trumpeting of himself! Or at least hire a stand in chef who knows how to cook! I'm sure the desserts were lovely but frankly, when the main event is so disappointing, tis small comfort.

Now, the trestle bed: it proved horrifically uncomfortable and ranks as the worst night's slumber I ever had. The mattress was lumpier than badly made custard AND there were actually springs stabbing into me all night - one of the springs was annoyingly at mid back level and couldn't be avoided no matter where I positioned myself . I was in severe discomfort next morning (Sat), muscles aching. The Dunbrody Experience was turning into a nightmare. A bad meal followed by an equally poor bed does not a happy weekend make. While the other two went for an early morning walk - having slept soundly on their more comfortable 'proper' beds - I was obliged to hop into one of their beds to try to get some rest for the day ahead. And my back was in serious pain after the horrors of the trestle bed. On Saturday afternoon, we decided to make a complaint at reception as I couldn't face another night on the contraption. Our description of the lumpy trestle bed didn't seem to incur the faintest air of surprise in the Receptionist - in fact, she looked like she was expecting it. And she breezily re-accomodated me in a a very comfortable and nicely appointed adjacent room that seemed to be available all along. If that was the case, why were we not assigned either a proper triple room with three proper beds, or two separate rooms? Not nice to slink away from front reception with the feeling 'I coulda had a good night's sleep all along, if I'd just made a complaint sooner'" - added to our growing sense of being 'suckered'.

On the basis of such a flawed meal the previous night, we decided not to fork out the €60 a head that they were charging then in the restaurant (maybe those Celtic prices have since dropped?) and opted instead to eat in the bar, which did mains priced at around €15. As it was the actual day of the friend's birthday, we took our time getting ready and had a bottle of champagne in our room. We arrived to the bar shortly after 9pm - hardly late, by anyone's standards. We also understood we had until 10pm to order our food. The bar manager, however, was most put out at our tardiness and made no secret of the fact that we were discommoding him and the kitchen in a major way. He scurried around muttering and flinging menus at us in a manner that seemed designed to undo our good humour. Under pressure to order quickly, we chose the following dishes: fish pie, poached salmon fillet and a 3rd dish which eludes me except for one fact - thank God I had the foresight to order a portion of fries on the side because they provided the bulk of my meal. When the food arrived, the portions were TINY. And veered wildly from the description the menu. Does fish pie not suggest a topping of either pastry or potato, and/or a creamy sauce, even both? The fish pie that Dunbrody House deemed acceptable to serve to us was this: a small white cereal bowl of shellfish still in their shells, clattering around in a watery broth - and 3 tiny rounds of toast on the side. It was NOT a fish pie. And it was NOT worth €15. It was a disgrace. The salmon was a normal sized portion and we envied our friend her choice. She'd also ordered a Green Salad, at a scandalous €10, which is justifiable if you get a top notch salad. And hey, this was Dunbrody! What arrived was a bowl of butterhead (the cheapest) leaves, dripping wet from being washed, naked as the day they were picked! Not a drop of oil, let alone vinegar or mustard - or the myriad other ingredients that can transform mere leaves into the stuff of the gods. Criminal! We looked for the manager, or someone in charge to complain to - or at least to order some more dishes from. But we'd been abandoned. As soon as the food was unceremoniously dumped on our table shortly before 10pm, the manager scarpered never to be seen again. My fish pie friend needed an order of potatoes or chips to supplement the paltry 'pie' (trade description breach, if ever there was one). So, there we sat - two of us starving because the 'pie' had no substance and my dish (whatever it was) was dreaded Nouvelle sized (btw I'm a slim sized 12, not a savage or anything but I like normal portions). Thank god for the fries which provided some bulk and kept us from fainting with hunger. Bear in mind that this meal had so far cost us about €85, including a bottle of wine - and with the exception of the salmon, would not fill a hole in one's tooth. When we did eventually nab a hapless young minion, he explained apologetically that the kitchen was closed and there was nothing he could do. It was only 10.30! Not another morsel was going to come our way that night. I would not have been surprised if Basil Fawlty himself had materialised and booted us out for being ungrateful wretches.
Dunbrody brings welcome tourists & employment to a quiet region of Wexford and I'm sure the locals base at least some of their loyalty on that. However, on the basis of our stay - and it was an experience for all the wrong reasons - I would have to conclude that I would never waste my money on such an overhyped, underperforming place again. It is 4 star accomodation (at most) with 2 star food. But boy oh boy, it gets 5 stars for HYPE!!! Save your money and go instead to Kelly's Hotel where the food is sensational, the seafront location is stunning and the staff would perform handstands for you if they thought it would make you happy! I would also recommend Bellinter House in Co Meath, Tinakilly House in Wicklow and of course, the best of them all, Adare Manor in Limerick - hotels that deserve their reputations for fine dining and accomodation but are not on telly 24/7 falsely advertising their wares!

Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
8 Thank barbareile
DunbrodyHouse, Owner at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2010
Dear "Barbereile", Unfortunately I cannot identify the details of your stay with us as your Tripadvisor ID is anonymous and the dates you give your stay vary from May 2007 (top of page) to October 2009 (bottom of the third page) which I'm sure you'll agree make it impossible for us to look into. We are all quite frankly amazed that it has taken you 3 1/2 years (or maybe it's 1 year?) to decide to put up your remarks seeing as you had such a terrible time on all counts.
To respond:
1. Our champagne bar was not open in May 2007. It opened in August 2007;
2. In 2007 Kevin appeared for a 20 minute slot once a week on the Afternoon Show on a Monday and was most definitely here in Dunbrody the rest of the time which hardly constitutes a "frequent gracing of your TV screen" at the time of your stay;
3. We do not have triple rooms and when requested we offer deluxe rooms and suites for triple occupancy and advise guests of same;
4. We only have 3 foot x 6 foot extra beds which we put in for the third occupant so I don't know where the "tiny truckle bed" could have come from;
5. We are not a 5 star hotel, never have ever been and have never advertised ourselves as such on any OFFICIAL Dunbrody marketing material. We have asked Tripadvisor to correct this on a number of occasions but have had no response. We are a four star hotel and this has always been our official grading.
6. The package you booked as you say was €265 pp for two nights B&B with 1 Dinner and my own calculations add that up to €330 if you include a second dinner not "closer to €450" as you state.
On a positive note I am delighted that my staff looked after your complaint once they were aware of it and it is a shame you didn't make us aware of your other issues at the time of your stay as I would have been only too happy to have resolved there and then as is our preferred approach. Your final comment is most insuting as we most certainly do not appear on telly "24/7 falsely advertising our wares" as you so put it. Kevin's regular slot is on the Afternoon Show for a cookery demonstration once per week as most of Ireland's top chefs do on the other days of the week and he promotes FOOD not this hotel. His other TV slots are also food-related and have nothing to do with the property. That RTE or BBC decide to show his name followed by the name of his hotel is a standard procedure which the TV company use with all other chefs and their respective properties.
Catherine Dundon
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

We stayed midweek for two nights b&b in a Deluxe Room (the only type left), enjoyed one lunch in the bar on arrival and then one dinner in the restaurant and one dinner in the bar. Our bill came to almost €800 (we had one bottle of wine and a couple of drinks over the two days but nothing excessive). For this price I would expect near perfection. And the following is our list of imperfections: Poor Quality Shower Head (we have much better at home); very average and meager bathroom products (where have the Molton Brown products previously mentioned gone?) ; my omelette on morning one was very overdone and should never have been allowed out of the kitchen; the DVD player in our room was broken when we went to use it night two. The heat in our room caused us to have two of the worst nights sleep I have ever had in a hotel! I appreciate it is an old house and air conditioning is probably not possible, but after two nights lousy sleep my husband and I were pretty cranky! I was not impressed by our room which was what I would call shabby chic. For €225 b&b per night mid week I thought the room did not live up to the price. On a positive note, all the staff were very nice, especially Catherine Dundon and all the waitressing staff. It was a very romantic place and the village was very charming. We enjoyed both our evening meals and would recommend both the bar and restaurant food for lunch or dinner.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Traveller201031
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review with Tripadvisor - had we known there was any issue with the heat in your room we would have tried at the time to resolve it for you. Built in 1830 the house does have a preservation order on it and we cannot install airconditionning but with so many south-facing bedrooms we offer fans to the rooms on request. We could also have offered a different room location as we do have a couple of rooms that are north-facing and do not get the same sunshine levels.
Also regarding the bathroom amenties - we changed earlier this year to the Lemon Verbena as we found the Molton Brown to be getting too widespread and extra chemicals were being added which we didn't like. This was changed on our own website but I cannot unfortunately ensure that other non-officaial sites do not keep their information up to date.
Again thank you for your comments.
Catherine & Kevin Dundon
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

We had booked a different hotel at short notice, but when we arrived, the litter, the bad smells, the nonchalance of the staff all conspired to tell us 'don't stay here!' After making our escape, the map came out to try to find a spot to spend the night. We noticed we were near Dunbrody, and a quick phone call later we were on our way.
What a good move! Catherine welcomed us, and showed us our absolutely lovely and peaceful room. (The only sound in the morning is the rooster!) A quick drink and freshen up and we put our orders in at the newish Seafood Bar. Excellent! Picture the freshest fish and chips ever, tall-food style! There is of course a famous and classy restaurant but we didn't get to try it as the bar food was so good.
The grounds are extensive, and perfect for leisurely strolls, and there are countless beautiful beaches within a short drive.
All the staff were very courteous. The woman in charge of the Seafood Bar was particularly attentive and efficient. I usually find hotels of this class somewhat stuffy, but not a sign of that here.
We loved it so much, we stayed on a second night and would love to return sometime, I suspect it would be delightful in the Autumn and Winter.
It is pricey, (breakfast is extra, but also exceptionally good) but you get what you pay for!
So thank you Dunbrody, for rescuing us, and making our stay so enjoyable. Holiday time is precious!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
DunbrodyHouse, Owner at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2010
Dear Mr Holmquist,
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Dunbrody and we were more than happy to "come to the rescue". We'll be looking forward to welcoming you both back, as you say Dunbrody is lovely in the Winter too...open turf fires, breakfast til Noon and the spa can make it irresistable to be honest! Next time please join us in the Harvest Room Restaurant too as I think you'll enjoy it just as much as the Seafood Bar! Many thanks for taking the time to write about Dunbrody and til next time we wish you both all the best.
Catherine, Kevin and all the Staff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arthurstown
Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club
Brandon House Hotel
Brandon House Hotel
#1 of 1 in New Ross

Been to Dunbrody Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!