“Rested!”

Dunbrody Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Arthurstown
“Rested!”
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Just back at my desk after a two night stay in Dunbrody and feel like I've been away for a week! We took our (nearly) four year old and were all made feel totally at ease, nothing was too much trouble. Baby sitting was brilliant and the joy of an adult dinner for two in a relaxed setting was spot on. The staff are very friendly without being over the top or insincere. We had two great dinners, excellent lunches (at the bar), good wine and perfect Guinness.
If you're looking for a get-a-way try Dunbrody House!

P.S. I've read some of the negative reviews and I suspect that some people bring their "baggage" with them. Relax, leave it at the gate.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Co. Wexford Ireland
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Original booking had to be changed. This was accommodated in an efficient and courteous manner.
On arrival we were greeted by Margaret who checked us in efficiently and with minimum formality.
We were then given tour of hotel. Staff we met, on the tour, greeted us with welcoming smiles.
We were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded (someone tipped them off about our wedding anniversary) and were shown to a magnificent room.
This house is a 17th century country house. Modernisation (installation of en-suites) was tastefully done and did not intrude on the "old world" charm of the room.
We were left to settle in and in a short time tea and scones arrived. Luxury had now arrived.
We went to the bar for drinks and food. The bar is nice and comfortable. Drinks were speedily delivered and food choice was interesting and made choosing difficult. With the expert help of staff we were delighted with fish and chicken dishes served.
The facility to have a late breakfast greatly adds to the relaxed atmosphere. It was particularly welcomes we rarely can have a relaxing breakfast. Quality of the meal excellent and sets you up for the day.
Afternoon and early evening was spent in front of beautiful open fire where afternoon tea was a delight. Luxury continues.
We observed all new arrivals being welcomed as we were in an efficient and friendly manner. Everyone seemed to relax easily.
The definite highlight of our stay was dinner in the restauraunt.
Luxury does not get any better than this.
Wonderful welcome.
Attention to detail seems to be normal.
Choice on menu again very interesting. Again choosing was difficult. Staff were most helpful. Their knowledge of the dishes was astonishing. Each course was an experience in its self. Presentation and content was outstanding. It is little wonder Kevin is such a celebrity Chef.
Restaurant was full and staffs were coping efficiently. In bar after dinner other guests were full of praise for the food and staff.
We highly recommend this experience to everyone and we are returning in summer.

Anne & Phil

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
SPAIN
Reviewed June 7, 2009

We had our best meal ever in this wonderful hotel in Arthurstown in the South East of Ireland - we had been there for my friend's wedding the previous year which was spectacular and decided to return on our own for a romantic getaway from the children - it was marvellous in every sense - the room, the food and the ambience - catharine, kevin and their staff were terrific in every sense - they couldn't do enough - I would recommend it all if you need to be pampered for a night or two - keep up the good work and we look foward to our return - Dont forget to bring your golf clubs as there are several nearby or even your walking shoes as you have to do the Hook walk !!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 26, 2009

This hotel does not provide the service of a 4 star hotel and is completely overpriced. We had booked to stay in a one bedroom suite, and were looking forward to the trip as it was to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. Everything was fine when we arrived and we were shown to our room and offered coffee. We then took a walk around the grounds and had a pre-dinner drink.

We opted for the tasting menu and were extremely disappointed. The food was dull. Senior staff were reprimanding junior staff at our table. The portion sizes were laughable. Our beef course was one mouthful. At no point during the meal were the empty glasses cleared from the table, so by switching from white to red by the end of the meal there were 6 empty glasses and 2 coffee cups cluttering the table. The last course "petit fours" consisted of 3 chocolate sweets (between 2 people) delivered on a tea-bag saucer.

As it was our anniversary, we decided to try and rescue the night by having a drink in the bar. My husband ordered a pint and I said I’d like to look at the wine list for a minute before ordering. This was a mistake. 5 minutes later the waiter/barman had not returned to take my order so I went up to the bar. Which was un-manned. Not only did he not come back to take my order he left the bar and disappeared. After another 5 minutes, I was joined by another guest wanting to order and then later still by a third. One kind gentleman eventually went looking for a member of staff. By the time I got my drink my husband was practically finished. We gave up on the bar at that point and went to bed. When we returned to the room the dirty coffee cups were sitting where we’d left them and there had been no turn-down service.

The general attitude of the staff seems to be "if you want something come and find us". This "hide and seek" approach to customer service runs throughout the hotel. Reception is not manned. The bar is not manned and when we arrived in the restaurant for our tasting menu (which we had booked) there were no staff in the room.

Back in our room, the suite, the size of the bed was ridiculous. Who thought it was good business to put an oversized single bed in a suite? The bed was way too small – a budget hotel would offer more comfort. My husband got up during the night and slept on the floor.

Even though it was our anniversary we decided to leave the next morning in spite of having paid for two nights. As there was no one in reception when we left we wrote to the hotel after coming home to complain about the level of service and ask for a refund for the night we did not stay. Two weeks later we have not even received the courtesy of a reply.

Dunbrody House charges €230 to stay a night and at this price you have a right to expect excellent service and food. It fails miserably to live up to this. The level of service provided here would be fine in a budget hostel but to charge €230 a night is laughable.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravellingArchitect
Reviewed March 30, 2009

I stayed with my wife Allie for a long weekend and it was just what we needed. I was looking to unwind as business has been tough and I was stressed out. Dunbrody was great although I pilled on the pounds thanks to some of the best food I have ever had.
We also got to meet Catherine and Kevin who joined us for a few drinks, great couple, very friendly and informative. They let us know the best places to go and see in the area and had some good stories to tell.
I look forward to my next trip which I plan to do every few months as it is a great place to clear the head and relax.
Thanks guys. Paul and Allie Dublin.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
arthurstown
Reviewed March 28, 2009

Thank you To Kevin , Catherine & All The Team at Dunbrody
We Had A Wondeful Wedding
I compliment you on Your Food & Service everything went like clock work.
Your setting for a Wedding is the best in Ireland , Thank you Kevin for Signing the Cook Book for my Mother, She Cooked me The Hearty Fish Stew Last Week.
I Love your Champaign Bar ,you serve the Best Seafood Chowder washer down by a glass of Champ. We Will Be Back Soon
Cheers Maria & Sean

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank DiamondArthurstown
ireland
Reviewed March 24, 2009

I was extremely disappointed with my stay here for valentines weekend. The food is extremely over priced for what you get espiecially for what you get for bar food a piece on a plate. soup costing ten euro!! Kevin Dundon needs a reality check and needs to bring down his prices, review his menu and indeed his kitchen staff with their careless presentation. My soup arrived with drippings down the side of the bowl my boyfriend who order the smoked salmon which was three little bits, the salad which accompanied it there was a slug in for a four star hotel this is simply not acceptable. I will not be returning and certainly wont be recommending this place to any one not even my worst enemy!!

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank crazychickIreland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arthurstown
Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
#1 of 1 in Ferrycarrig
Brandon House Hotel
Brandon House Hotel
#1 of 1 in New Ross

Been to Dunbrody Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!