“we slept max 3 hours due to a bad bed”

Dunbrody Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Arthurstown
DUBLIN
“we slept max 3 hours due to a bad bed”
Reviewed March 3, 2009

my wife and I booked into dunbrody house for 2 nights and a free night on the sunday, when we booked we told the receptionist that we both had bad backs and could we have hard beds, she showed us to our room which was cold due to a faulty radiator, and the bed was so soft we could feel the springs, the girl showed us another room I pressed down the bed which seemed o.k until we went to bed every moved it squeaked all night and we were falling from side due to the bad mattress,other ploblems the shower was not able to work, the stoppers in the sink and were loose and not on the chains, and for the food union soup was awful,re main course I ordered wexford beef rear it came med-to well all for 373 euro inc 63euro for wine

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Navan, Ireland
Reviewed February 28, 2009

We recently travelled to Dunbrody and fell in love with its charm. We were welcomed in by a courteous and friendly staff member who showed us to our fabulous room at the top of the house with a small private balcony with breathtaking views. We then headed to the Spa for some well deserved massages, you must try the Serial Mud Treatments for two, a lovely treat! My facial was fantastic and the staff very professional. Later we headed down to Dinner and had a lovely table by the french doors overlooking the garden, our food was fantastic - we enjoyed every morsel. Breakfast next morning was all freshly cooked, very tasty and best of all served until midday! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed February 12, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend recently. This is a real get away destination. The staff were really friendly and well-trained and the place has a really cosy relaxed feel - chic but homely at the same time. My main complaint is that I don't honestly believe the restaurant is to the standard claimed and this is important as you are somewhat captive there because of the get-away location (partly the point of course). The restaurant is certainly very good in many respects but does not compare value-wise to similar style places elsewhere in Ireland. On the first night, we had the tasting menu which had moments of inspiration but was not consistently good - some of the dishes just didn't work (blame masterchef for the criticism but its true!) The supposedly carefully chosen matching wines were matched to a different menu the next night, some were good but they weren't spectacular and one definitely didn't match the dish it was served with. On the second night both my husband and I had steaks - we asked for medium and medium rare - both came medium/well-done. For a restaurant of this supposed calibre I think that was very poor. Of course we should have complained at the time but decided not to. The prices are based, in my view, on the idea that this restaurant is somewhere in the Michelin star territory. I don't think that is true and that makes the whole place seem poor value for an inclusive weekend.

• Liked — old world feel with modern chic and the staff to go with it
  • Disliked — value for money
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank BearGirlDublin
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 28, 2009

For my father's 60th birthday, my family booked into Dunbrody House for the weekend. It was AMAZING. The accomodation was faultless - big, beautiful rooms looking out onto the garden. The bathroom was lovely - with molton&brown toiletries. The service was excellent - we arrived late and arrangements were made so we could dine straight away. We ate in the restaurant and in the bar and both times it was excellent. I also got a treatment in the spa, which I arranged when I arrived. All in all, it was the perfect place to spend a relaxing weekend and I couldn't recommend it highly enough

Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank BizTraveller12
London
Reviewed January 15, 2009

We were bitterly disappointed by the food, service and staff attitude at this so called 4* establishment. They do however charge 5* prices but the service was second rate at best. Many of the staff, espiceally some of the waitresses were downright rude, ignoring peoples request to see the label on a bottle of wine they'd ordered?! and at times stroppy..The food was ok at best but vegetarians are not catered for very well. We also had problems with the dvd player not working and there was no one on site to fix...They saved the best til last by charging my 3 and 4 year old daughters Eur 20 each for breakfast .. When I disputed this I was told in no uncertain terms this was right but they came back the following week to say they should only have only charged Eur 15.. whereas I understood when I booked that the rate was for the room with bed breakfast and dinner one night...but they have since ignored my correspondence. On the basis that a 2 night stay with dinner on one night cost close to Euro 1100 I dont expect to be ripped off on the little things!
Very very disappointing particularly as the building and grounds are beautiful.. a little shabby around the edges but this sort of adds to the charm...

• Liked — The actual house
  • Disliked — staff attitude
  • Stayed December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank nol1
Dublin
Reviewed January 5, 2009

After hearing good things about this place we decided to spend two nights there to celebrate a special anniversary. What a disappointment. Our room, while very big, was dark and quite dingy. There was no mini-bar, refrigerator, tea/ coffee making facilities or hairdryer (that I could locate anyway) in the room which one would expect at the prices they charge. The bathroom was clean and big but basic and nothing special. The couch had stains on the upholstery. Worst of all was the bed. It was not a proper double bed, but two singles pushed together and it was extremely uncomfortable! A plastic/ rubber undersheet over a feather mattress cover made it very hot too and did nothing to alleviate the hardness and uneveness of the mattress itself. I awoke after a fitful night's sleep with so many aches and pains I was tempted to go for a massage - maybe this is part of their strategy...

The place is elegant though, and generally very clean. The best thing I can say about dinner was that it was fine. Portions were small. I don't mind that so much if the food is very good but I have had many superior meals elsewhere in Ireland for the same price or less! The food at Dunbrody seems overhyped to me. The breakfasts are very good though.

The staff were professional and friendly enough. Service at dinner was a little fawning and intrusive. It made it hard to carry on a conversation being interrupted every two minutes. Also, the dining room is very quiet and there is no atmosphere. I suppose that's not necessarily the hotel's fault - it's mostly couples all trying to have the same romantic weekend - but at the same time, the hotel is so full of self-importance it seems as if guests are on their collective 'best behaviour', whispering to each other in hushed tones. This doesn't make for a very relaxing experience. Overall, Dunbrody is too formal, overhyped and above all far, far overpriced for the accommodation it offers.

• Liked — Breakfasts, Garden views
  • Disliked — Extremely uncomfortable bed. Overpriced.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Schmusername
ORLANDO
Reviewed December 11, 2008

Myself & my husband Vivian stayed at Dunbrody house in September. The moment we pull up outside the magnificant house we were throughly impressed, the house and the grounds are beautiful. The staff were wonderful and so friendly throughout our entire stay. We dined in the restaurant everynight, the food & ambiance was just divine.
We treated ourselves to some treatments at the spa, I would advise trying out the mud room they have there, it especially relaxing.
We will definately return!!!!

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank RaglanRoadIrishPub
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arthurstown
Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort
Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club
Waterford Marina Hotel
Waterford Marina Hotel
#3 of 12 in Waterford

Been to Dunbrody Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!