“Positive Bliss”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Arthurstown
ORLANDO
“Positive Bliss”
Reviewed December 11, 2008

Myself & my husband Vivian stayed at Dunbrody house in September. The moment we pull up outside the magnificant house we were throughly impressed, the house and the grounds are beautiful. The staff were wonderful and so friendly throughout our entire stay. We dined in the restaurant everynight, the food & ambiance was just divine.
We treated ourselves to some treatments at the spa, I would advise trying out the mud room they have there, it especially relaxing.
We will definately return!!!!

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank RaglanRoadIrishPub

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Reviewed October 23, 2008

I've stayed in Dunbrody a few times over the last 4 years and have to say it's gets better with each visit. Usually I'm in the area for business so the stress levels can be high or occasional meetings with friends - which is a different stress altogether! Last visit I had a lovely room (212 I think) overlooking the gardens. Dinner was excellent, nice food and I was impressed with the new Champagne Bar, a touch of glamour amongst the sophistication.
The thing that stayed with me most was waking up to the wide green vista of the lovely gardens and no noise.. none. Had a (for me) healthy breakfast in my room, with the window open (nice weather that day) and spent the morning before check out just relaxing, reading and enjoying the quiet...bliss.

I know the Spa is an attraction for many people.. next time for me too I hope.

• Liked — Luxury of it
  • Disliked — ...mmm can't think of anything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank rsweeney
longford
Reviewed October 2, 2008

We booked in to celebrate our wedding anniversary and what a disappointment. I had been looking forward to our dinner all day long and then along comes a salad, I say a salad but it was actually a large bowl of lettuce with some sort of bland dressing and also a tiny bowl of tomatoes and tiny beetroot cuttings. Bad as this was it was later, much later, followed by the smallest piece of chicken breast ive ever seen. I had informed the waiter that I did not eat anything with butter so there was no veg or potatoes as they couldnt manage to provide them minus the butter even though there was only 4 other people in the restaurent at the time. My wifes meal was equally miniscule and unsatisfactory. The rooms were clean but ordinary and I was at a loss as to why this hotel charges so much, or more to the point how are they allowed to get away with it. I would recomend people stay away from this place as its possibly the most overpriced hotel ive ever had the misfortune to stay at.

• Liked — Garden
  • Disliked — Restaurent
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank LongfordPat
Reviewed September 9, 2008

I stayed in the hotel for two nights (Monday and Tuesday) and got a D/B/B deal. I was told that I was being upgraded on arrival and was shown to a very nice room however if it was an upgrade the regular room must have been quite poky as this room was not that big. It overlooked the back garden and I was there for two of the only proper summer days in Ireland this year so it really was lovely looking out at the sun over the lawn and hearing little else but the birds singing and bees buzzing.

I had also booked a half day in the spa which included lunch. The spa is beautifully fitted out and is very peaceful. I think I was the only person there. The treatment were fine, nothing in particular to complain about but nothing to write home about either. The lunch was a sandwich and soup which I was not overly impressed with - that said the soup was gorgeous.

Dinner was good with two very notable exceptions - the cheese board and the coffee. The cheese was served from the fridge and so was pretty tasteless. At the prices being charged in this hotel this is unacceptable. The coffee was awful. It is not hard to make good coffee and again, at these prices, there is no excuse for not getting this right. I had coffee in the restaurant after dinner and had had one in the bar area after lunch and both were really poor.

The service was very good and attentive. The maitre d' was very helpful with the wine selection but when I told her about my dissatisfaction about the cheese she agreed sympathetically but I was not left with the impression that anything would be done about it.

While I enjoyed the stay and found the surroundings very comfortable and the service good I think that Dunbrody needs to pay more attention to some of the details as outlined above to justify the prices they are charging.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
GA
Reviewed September 9, 2008

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for two days. Our room was comfortable, the food was above average and we found it very relaxing.
This sheets were crisp and clean, the country air so fresh and the service was a delight. We would recommend it.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Charges
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
dublin
Reviewed September 2, 2008

I went here with my boyfriend for a weekend break and having heard previous reviews, expected the place to be fantstic. however, it didnt really live up to expectations, the food didnt live up to the standard it proclaims and when my partner asked for his food to be heated up (as it was stone cold) the waiter looked at him as though he had two heads!!
no real facilites are offered here, unless you want to try out the cooking school or the spa (which you will need to book well in advance) so you are essentially paying a lot of money for a B&B.
Our room was lovely though and the staff very nice.

• Liked — the rooms were lovely!
  • Disliked — the fact it was so over-priced for what you got.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank irish-travel-lover
Reviewed May 21, 2008

We visited Dunbrody House recently for a week-end to celebrate our wedding anniversary and my pending 50th birthday. It is a typical Irish Country House set in large gardens. We had booked a Deluxe Room and stayed in room 301 on the ground floor. We used the Spa and each had a massage on Saturday. The food was excellent and the service too. Reception, being a small hotel, is typically 'under populated' at times, but we had no problem and found the staff friendly and helpful at all times. The vegetable garden, hen run with complete with hens and cock, the vietnamese pig named Delago et all added to the charm. I am sure that some of the rooms are not as well appointed, but as I travel a lot on business and on pleasure, this venue and the room is well up to standard. My photos are posted on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremy_nel/sets/72157605126433663/

• Liked — Gives an excellent period style with modern convenience. Found it extraordinarily relaxing.
  • Disliked — Signage as you enter and exit is not very clear, yet you have 2 entrances and exits. Won't get 'lost', just not a great way to arrive.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arthurstown
Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort
Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club
Waterford Marina Hotel
Waterford Marina Hotel
#3 of 12 in Waterford

Been to Dunbrody Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!