“Sunday lunch experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dunbrody Country House Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Dunbrody Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Arthurstown
Waterford, Ireland
“Sunday lunch experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

We went for Sunday lunch to celebrate my mothers 80 th birthday . The hotel on arrival on a dreary Sunday was warm and welcoming , we were early so we're shown to a lovely small room where we had pre dinner drinks. The staff at all times were efficient helpful and friendly , and our 4 course meal was enjoyed by all 8 of us , and very good value for Money . The only tiny quibble I would have is that the dining room is far too big and it had an empty feeling about it. After lunch we went to the bar , again friendly bar man, and a lovely way to pass a Sunday . All of us came away very happy and would definitely recommend it to a friend .

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Waterford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

A friend and I had afternoon tea in Dunbrody House yesterday. Overall the experience was excellent, the variety and quality if the food was excellent.The real fire was so lovely and cosy on such a miserable day! Lots of people in the house having dinner and drinks which made for a wonderful atmosphere. The lady in charge was really lovely and friendly and took time to check we were doing ok and chat. It would have been full marks except for one bar man who could try to be a bit more personable. Trying to make polite conversation with him when I was paying was totally ignored to the point of rudeness and on two occasions he took coffee and water from the table that was not finished without asking. The other staff were so lovely and focused on customer service.

• Stayed November 2013
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

During the last week in August we were staying in a house in Dunmore East with the family so my husband and I decided to treat ourselves to one night, dinner bed and breakfast which was extremely poor to say the least! The room was just adequate. Our dinner was not great, we both chose the lamb for our main course, which consisted of two very small chops! My husband complained and was given another couple. The dining room left a lot to be desired as there was absolutely no atmosphere. Our breakfast was awful too. It said on the menu "any type of eggs" so my husband ordered eggs benedict to be told "we don't do them" any type refers to poached, fried or scrambled. His fried egg must have been cooked by a young student, I wouldn't have presented a black crispy fried egg to anyone! Needless to say Kevin Dundon was nowhere to be seen, he was probably busy in the US or writing his latest book. I think it is incredible to think that this hotel is described as a small LUXURY hotel with LUXURY accommodation and supposedly considered "one of Ireland's Premier Hotels & Restaurant". Definitely not! I would not recommend anyone to stay or eat there and we were very disappointed in the whole experience. H Hughes

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Hilary H
Wexford, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

My partner and I visited Dunbrody House over the Halloween bank holiday weekend, where we had dinner in the main restaurant.

We sat to dine at 8pm in a dining room that was one third full. It was distinctly lacking atmosphere and felt echoy. Given the fact that it was Saturday night and a BH weekend, I would have expected it to be full. With hindsight, I can understand why this may have been the case.

Having read the impressive sounding menu, we decided to treat ourselves to the tasting menu. The first course of scallops was tasty but not wow. This was the theme for the second starter and both of the mains. The second main of venison was the best of the four. The desserts were definitely the highlight.

All of the courses were served lukewarm and were really on the small side. There was no veg served or offered with the courses. We both agreed that we would have eaten more than what was served.

Between courses, my partner unfortunately encountered a hair in his sorbet. When I pointed this out to the waiter, he muttered 'sorry' and cleared the plates, there was no further reference made to the incident. I would have expected a senior member of staff to come to the table and give a proper apology on behalf of the kitchen.

The staff were nice, but service was slow and truncated. One waitress conversed with us about the fact that it had been a long day as they had a christening in earlier. By the time we had been served our second dessert, the dining room had emptied out of all other patrons, at which point the staff disappeared too. I was uncomfortable at that point and couldn't wait to leave.

Having read previous reviews, you can see similar points to mine have been raised before. I am not particularly sticky on service if the food hits the mark, but I really did not feel that we had got good value for money.

I relayed all of the above points to the hotel manager via email, by way of apology he invited us to dine there again and accept a complimentary glass of champagne on the house or a cookbook.

Given what happened on the night and the lack of any real effort to right the wrongs, we have decided to return to the Michelin Starred 'House Restaurant' at the Cliff house hotel in Waterford. The tasting menu is marginally more expensive, but worth it.

Alternatively, if you are looking for good food without the pomp or the price tag, go to Jacque's at Sidetracks, on the Quay in Wexford town.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sheena H
dunbrody, General Manager at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Sheena H,

Thank you for your review of your dining experience with us last weekend.

Once again let me apologise that you did not enjoy your dining experience with us when I spoke with you during the week.
As I said we had a large group staying with us on the Saturday night that had alternative arrangements made on that evening so that is why the restaurant was not as full as usual.

With the Tasting Menu portions are generally smaller as it is an eight course menu with samplings from different courses. Sides of vegetables are generally not served either with a Tasting Menu.
I am sorry once again for the incident with the sorbet, unfortunately sometimes this can happen; it was an accident.
Service is not slow; it is determined on the menu chosen, having the Tasting Menu would generally mean that you would expect to spend anything upwards of two hours in the restaurant, we do not rush our guests as it is a relaxed atmosphere to savour the food you are eating.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy the Tasting Menu, it is a different experience than an a la carte menu, it has more courses that are smaller and takes more time also. I have to say that this is the first negative feedback I have had about the Tasting Menu in a very long time.
Once again thank you for your comments; perhaps in time you will come back to try our restaurant again.

Regards,
Paul Mernagh
Fort Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

I would give the hotel a 3 and the restaurant a 5, but unfortunately the restaurant does not have a separate listing. The hotel was good, but not great. It feels old because it is. While I can't really hold that against it, I have also stayed in places that have managed to maintain the feeling of old-fashioned simplicity while incorporating more modern conveniences. For the price I expected more. However, the food is excellent. The potato soup and pan-roasted turbot that I had as an appetizer and entree were fantastic and the Creme Fraiche Souffle that I had for desert is the best thing I've ever put in my mouth.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Limerick, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here lately with four family members..to say we were disappointed is an understatement! Without going into every detail, being asked if we would like to order,and pay for, the following days newspaper as soon as we arrived, set the tone for our stay. We are an easy to please group who travel out to eat quite a lot and have never submitted a negative report to date. Dunbrody House appears to be living off a reputation that may have been deserved at one time but it is our general opinion that it is in need of a lot of love and attention in all areas. We knew the rates for our stay and had no quibble with that but were very disappointed with our visit. A four star rating is very generous in our opinion. Would not recommend it.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Rose P
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

We had our civil ceremony wedding in late September this year in Dunbrody House Hotel. It was the most stress free fantastic day. From our arrival in the driveway up to the house 4 months prior to our big day, we fell in love with the setting. The staff then made us feel so welcome that we booked it more or less straight away. Catherine Dundon looked after us so well from the start. We opted for a relaxed atmosphere. Outdoor ceremony followed by a BBQ dinner. The backdrop to the ceremony was spectacular and the food was of the absolute highest standard. Kevin Dundon arranged the BBQ beautifully and all our guests commented on the standard and selection with the utmost praise. I always thought wedding days were supposed to be stressful and full of niggly problems. however, from the moment we arrived the night before I didn't have to think about a thing as the staff were just amazing in every way. In particular we have to mention the barman. Ben was looking after us the night before and he was so friendly and kept the kids amused with tricks and entertainment all evening as well as looking after us all. The following day all the staff couldn't have been more accommodating and friendly. We also had our own version of Mary Poppins recommended by the hotel. We needed a babysitter for our toddler and baby and May arrived with the most beautiful manner with us and the children. She was with us the night before and all day and night on the wedding date. I can't praise her enough as she made it so much easier for us to enjoy our day, knowing that the children were in very capable and caring care. Basically the staff were pre-empting our needs and making sure we didn't have to do anything but have fun. Rooms are tastefully decorated and most of them are a very decent size. Breakfast is fantastic. The choice is great and best of all its served until 12pm - excellent for sore heads after a big party!! There is so much more I could say, but really you should just experience it yourself.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor tend to be larger and brighter and rooms to the back of the house have a love...