“Phenomenal Stay and Exquisite Cuisine!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Old Convent

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clogheen
The Old Convent
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clogheen
Fort Myers, FL
“Phenomenal Stay and Exquisite Cuisine!!”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We were very much looking forward to our stay at the Old Convent and from the moment we turned into the driveway and saw the home and grounds, we knew we were not going to be disappointed. The grounds and the Old Convent itself were beautiful - like something out of a storybook! Upon check-in, we were greeted by very attentive, courteous and friendly staff that showed us the home and led us to our room. We reserved the Honeymoon Suite since we were on our Honeymoon and we were so impressed with the room! VERY big with a separate sitting room with full couch, nice bathroom and gorgeous bedroom with our very own soaking tub in a separate cove of the bedroom! Talk about looking forward to relaxation! And both night's sleep was excellent! The first evening of our stay (Friday night) we chose to have the prepared Bento Box for dinner. Dermot is a superb chef and our meal was AMAZING! We had the separate dining room to ourselves and everyone at The Old Convent made us feel like royalty! On Saturday night, we enjoyed Dermot's 8-Course Tasting Menu in the main dining room. We were left speechless at how DELICIOUS each and every course was. My husband is a chef and greatly appreciated the attention to taste and detail on every plate presented! On the same note, breakfast on both mornings by Dermot was equally delicious and Christine's smiling face and friendly personality was a wonderful way to start the day. My husband planned a picnic for him and I on Saturday afternoon and Christine was more than helpful in providing what we needed and also the directions to hike to a wonderful and serene lake! And relaxing in the soaking tub in our bedroom after the hike was even better! On our stay we also made sure to explore the grounds including feeding apples to the donkeys! What fun! We HIGHLY RECOMMEND The Old Convent to travelers! Exploring Ireland's countryside, sights and attractions can be wonderful and fun, but also exhausting and our stay at The Old Convent was exactly what we needed! Relaxation!! Fantastic hospitality from Christine and Dermot, superb staff and phenomenal home! Thank you to The Old Convent for being part of our Honeymoon travels and adventures in Ireland and adding that special touch to our Honeymoon stay - what wonderful memories!

Room Tip: Honeymoon Suite was AWESOME!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Motown07

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cork City
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband and I arrived at the Old Convent in Clogheen on Fri 20th Sept, '13. We were greeted by the wonderful Christine and given a guided tour of the building with a touch of history. Then we were invited to coffee and cake in the drawing room. Freshly brewed coffee and a delicious lemon cake, the frosting was awesome! We retired to our room, The Loft Suite, beautifully decorated (minimalist) with a little stairs in the room leading up to a loft which held a single bed. The bathroom was so large, a free standing bath, the décor was black/white tiled flooring and a mauve/lavender tone to the walls. The heating was on for a little bit when we arrived and it felt so cosy and comforting. We went down to dinner for 8 pm. The 'wow' factor, an 8 course taster menu. Sounds like a lot of food but to me it was just perfect. Local produce and some of the items on the menu are produced by Dermot and Christine Gannon themselves. I was really taken with the 'candied' nuts. From start to finish the meal was sumptuous. The dining room staff were wonderful, helpful but discreet and very quietly spoken. There are so many little hidden treasures in the place. I was very taken with the little room/cubby hole on the 1st floor, tea/coffee/biscuits/sweets/water/apple juice... all just left there for each guest to help themselves. A library of books and DVD's with your own personal DVD player. Breakfast on Saturday morn was also a treat. Not your typical fare, juice was locally sourced Strawberry Juice with a sparkle served in a champagne flute. Spelt bread with candied nuts and seeds. I had the poached eggs and salmon (divine) Kevin had the traditional Irish, but again the quality of the produce made it even more delicious. Thank you to the Gannons for a wonderful experience and to my boss FOD for the gift voucher that took us there!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Catherine M
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Perfect in every way from our first correspondence with Christine to her heartfelt send-off when parting at the end of our stay.
The attention given to the guests comfort, enjoyment and wishes is exceptional. Dermot's Artisan Tasting menu is not to be missed. Everything that comes out of his kitchen, whatever the meal, is unique and delicious. There's a fully stocked pantry upstairs for the guests convenience, especially handy for those mid-night snacks some of us can't do without. Cahir Castle and the walk down to The Swiss Cottage make for an enjoyable 1/2 day outing, whilst the other half can be spent wandering the grounds, feeding the mules, relaxing in the garden or enjoying a good book or the company of others in the drawing rooms. Would love to visit again if ever the opportunity presents itself.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pspon
Dublin, California
Reviewed September 18, 2013

The hospitality at The Old Convent really is unique; the physical surrounds are both comfortable and elegant. The food is amazing. Actually, the food is a destination in itself. Hosts Christine and Dermot are completely welcoming, and so approachable. The Old Convent doesn't exude quality - it's more effortless than that - The Old Convent embodies quality. I stayed just for a night, as a treat after a few days travel in the west of Ireland; I could not have found a more gorgeous place in which to relax and luxuriate. A supremely comfortable bed, a huge bath, restful views from three windows, exquisite food, kind hosts and a pervading air of tranquillity... it all comes together in such rare fashion. This is a wonderful place to stay.

Room Tip: My 'room' consisted of bedroom, bathroom and entry hall with wardrobe; and from a peek into...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank P S
cork
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This is perhaps the best restaurant I've ever been to. It is fabulous. Went with some friends as a catch up and everything about it was perfect. In fact I wet back with my husband after this. We didn't stay overnight but I wish we did. It was just a fantastic experience. The food was unforgettable. I really wish this hotel/restaurant the very best of luck and I think they have made their own luck already. The management must be excellent - Its obvious the chef/s are and staff are so efficient, friendly and awake. We will return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We came here for a family treat and were stunned with how great the meal here was. The staff were extremely friendly and couldnt do enough to help us. My wife was pregnant and they substituted out any course where there were ingredients she couldnt have but the dishes she was given in their place were of the highest quality. My wifes mother is vegetarian and she was delighted by the courses that were provided for her. The rest of us were meat eaters and we loved our meal. It was simply one of the best meals we had every had. Deserving of a star.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

The Old Convent is a place you have to go to just to understand how wonderful it is.
Upon arrival I was very warmly greeted by Christine and shown to my room which was the Professor's Suite. The suite had its own sitting room and stocked bookcase. There was ample wardrobe space in the bedroom along with a most charming dressing table/writing desk. The room also had a super comfortable four poster bed. There were also magnificent views from the room. The website promotes this suite as being the scene of many marriage proposals and I can understand why. However as I was travelling alone I was not adding to this list!
There is also a room which has books, games, tea/coffee making facilities, sweet treats and toiletries all available complimentary should you have forgotten anything.
Throughout the whole building the cleanliness is impeccable.
Shortly after arrival I was given coffee and cake in the drawing room and chatted to some other guests.
Dinner was at 8pm and commenced in the drawing room with drinks. The Old Convent has an excellent wine list.
We were then seated in the dining room which used to be the Chapel of the Convent and some of the original windows are retained.
That evening there were seven people dining - three couples and myself. The waitress for the evening, Hannah, was excellent and served eight courses to seven people with absolute professionalism and a charming manner.
As for the meal itself, the courses blended perfectly and while I am not going to list all of them certainly outstanding, for me, were the Green Onion Velouté and the Aga Roast Hereford Beef.
Breakfast the next morning was also superb starting off with red berries, walnuts and cream with a fizzy apple juice. There were three option for breakfast of which I chose the full Irish breakfast with toast and coffee.
The Old Convent is an absolute haven of relaxation, calm and warm welcomes, dedicated staff and superb food.
To treat yourself or for a romantic getaway this is the place to come.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Redsionnach
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clogheen
Baileys Hotel Cashel
Ballykisteen Hotel and Golf Resort
The Pilgrims Rest Hotel
The Pilgrims Rest Hotel
#2 of 3 in Cappoquin

Been to The Old Convent? Share your experiences!