“Overpriced”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Durrus
Blairscove House & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Durrus
Dublin, Ireland
“Overpriced”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The location is very pretty but the room we had directly over the restaurant is jaded in terms of decor. The breakfast is very nice and homemade. While the restaurant is pricey it is very good but be prepared to be pressurised into having the 'famous starter' by the owner. Overall it's way overpriced for the accommodation standard.

• Stayed July 2011
4 Thank Rotharman

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2011

we stayed in the cottage as we have done for a few years now over the summer. As ever it is a true delight a fantastic sense of escape and yet a few yards from the great restaurant which is a must visit. already looking orward to next year.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank kevandgaynor
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for two nights recently. The accommodation is beautifully decorated, well planned, immaculately clean and extremely comfortable. We had a glorious view over the bay.
We really enjoyed having breakfast served to us each morning, which had fantastic options – we would highly recommend you try their home made muesli with fresh fruit – delicious! On our second evening we had dinner in the restaurant – we were far from disappointed. The selection of starters and desserts, whereby you choose anything you like, is a wonderful way of tasting the great food here. Our main courses were scrumptious. The waiting staff were all very friendly, helpful and great fun to chat to.
Having read some reviews on tripadvisor we weren’t too sure what to expect, however, having stayed and dined here we can genuinely highly rate Blairs Cove House – worth every penny(cent?).
Sabine and Philip – thank you for a wonderful break.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank 1866051986Mary
cork
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Did not stay overnight....We had a family meal here on last Saturday night. Hav'nt been at Blairs cove for a while and its as good as ever. Magnificent selection on the starter and dessert buffet. Good selection of fish on the menu. The John Dory was perfect. The beef cooked on the open fire was a great feature. Great service-not too intrusive, just right.
Can't wait to go back !!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Cork
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Fabulous location and really beautiful accomodation. Breakfast was delicious and the ladt who brought the breakfast was very nice.
However, the owner was probably the most unwelcoming rude woman I have ever met. In total, we were giving E600 for 1 nights B&B. On top of that, she made us pay 2 more supplements. One of these was to make up a sofa bed! I dont expect someone to gush over me but a smile and a small bit of common decency is all I would like. Also, we are all watching the pennies and Blairs Cove could definately reduce their prices
I was disappointed leaving here as I was very much looking forward to staying. I will not be returning.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
24 Thank Corkgirl1979
Lowell, Michigan
Reviewed May 22, 2011

This was our third time to Ireland and our third stay in the apartment above the restaurant at Blair's. It's blissful in every way. Love the views, the privacy, the sense of our own space. Visitors must do the restaurant one night at least -- fabulous. Really a treat to have breakfast brought to your room every morning, and the homemade muesli is to die for. Great for day trips and pub visits for trad music nights in Baldehob

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mjarema
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 4, 2011

This is my first review on Trip Advisor and I believe that Blairs Cove deserves to be commented on based on our experience. My wife and I stayed there on the last weekend in April in 2011. Firstly one cannot fault the accomodation for a very high standard of design , interior design and finish however it was the sort of place that even though it has all this going for it , it is being let down by proprieters that are very impersonal and unwelcoming. On arrival one would think that the owners would be excited to see new guests and show them to their accomodation however we were met with a sort of a stale ,cold welcome. The gentleman in charge when I offered to shake his hand to introduce myself didn't even get up off his chair and gave a half hearted handshake and not one mention of a 'welcome to our Blair's Cove we hope you have a pleasant stay'. We were given the key and asked which night we wanted dinner in a sort of glib manner also.When one is paying €400 for 2 nights one would expect a bit more hospitality . The restaurant is separate from the accomodation but I will include a comment on that here,as it is all on the same grounds.We basically sat and ordered a main course at the waiting area and then were moved to our table. When we said we didn't want a starter and would probably have a dessert instead there was a summit meeting between four staff members to see if it could be done. Eventually we were informed that they could bend the rules for us. Wow.!! €58 euro for starter, maincourse and dessert was one option or you could have starter and main course for €45. These were the options on the menu and one could not just order a main course. It was a bit steep in my opinion and I don t think it's much to ask for restaurants to offer a bit of flexibility in their menus. It was a nice meal and the desserts were delicious. It is worth mentioning that the breakfast served each morning to the self catering accomodation was also of a very good standard. Just on another note to finish, When we arrived at the reception area we were greeted by a barking black labrador and the owner . I said good morning and I was met with a finger pointing to a chair and the word 'SIT' . Nothing more nothing less. I didn't actually know if he was talking to the dog or me.A small bit of calculation on his part and a query on had we had any extra things in the room and the bill. Not one concern about whether we enjoyed our stay or if we had any comments or any problems. (Incidentally the shower was not working on the second morning and we had to go next door for a shower before we left but he didn t feel like he needed to apologise or explain,not a big deal at all but just another annoying moment) . Anyway all in all it is another classic case of very good accomodation and food etc but is left down badly by an owner who appeared ungrateful and uninterested. I don't feel like I'm being one bit unfair in saying this. When you give over €500 to a business in the hospitality Industry for two nights you expect a bit of hospitality! If this is the manner and style in which brings in the money , all the best to Blairs Cove and good luck to them. My advice to them is 'You have everything else right, just work on making people feel comfortable and welcome'. I didn't drive away saying I would like to go back and I will not be going back either.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
28 Thank sugruet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durrus
Maritime Hotel
Casey's of Baltimore, Hotel
Beara Coast Hotel
Beara Coast Hotel
#1 of 1 in Castletownbere

Been to Blairscove House & Restaurant? Share your experiences!