“Special Properly, Even More Special People”
other travelers have booked this property
Front Elevation Kitchen
Side Garden and Deck Area with Knocknarea in the Distance
Doorly Park Walk along the Shores of Lough Gill
Sail Boats in Sligo Bay
The Three-horned Goat at Eagle's Flying, Ballymote
A Sheperd's Delight: One of the Many Beautiful Sunsets from the Kitchen and Lounge Windows
Paddle Boarding in Raghly Harbour
Finn Whale washed up in Sligo Bay - November 2011
Fresh Delicious Lobster Available from Raghly Harbour on Request (Seasonal / Depends on Weather)
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 26 reviews

Reviews from our community

Darren A
Wakefield, RI
“Special Properly, Even More Special People”
Reviewed October 24, 2013 for a stay in October 2013
people found this review helpful

The other reviews eloquently described just how special this property and family are. Consider yourself lucky if you've been able to track down this rental and stay with these folks.

Desmond, Mary, and their amazing children made for a trip and life event that we'll never froget. The property is simply stunning and peaceful. Every detail is considered in which they keep in the house, which is so immaculate it almost makes you feel guilty running inside with soiled shoes!

Des/Mary really open themselves up to you and treat you like family. Actually, they treat you BETTER than family and are great to chew the cud with. We had a bit of an ordeal when upon arrival to the town, I had put gasoline in a diesel engine. What could have been a disaster, Des was able to take the lead on and help me out of a jam with a fuel pump out using his connections and wits. The kids are both incredible and a reflection of their parents.

I could go on and on, but the point is book it now!

Liked best: Everything
Liked least: Nothing!
Traveling group: Young Children
Deirdre M
Worcester, United Kingdom
“A visual and gastranomic delight”
Reviewed August 27, 2013 for a stay in July 2013
person found this review helpful

We were met at the house by Des and family and shown round. They had catered for our every wish right down to supplying the most fantastic array of seafood that could be had. We ate like Kings all week. Des came up with his tractor and took my grand daughter out for a trip which she loved as did her father and uncles who went as well!! If we needed anything it was never a problem and we had it delivered within the day. It is stunning countryside around with a gorgeous sandy beach close by that my grand daughter loved going to and swimming. Watching cows and sheep putting on a performance every evening was very entertaining. Best holiday for a long long time. House was spotless and it was such a bonus to have pure cotton sheets on the bed. Everything about this holiday was great and we would love to come back again. Thank you Des and family.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: We felt as if we had experienced a really excellent holiday
Large groups People with pets
SAT
Reviewed August 3, 2013 for a stay in June 2013

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The Carways and the scenery.
Liked least: There was nothing we disliked.
Traveling group: Friends
DandyOrie...
Roma, Italia
“Fantastic”
Reviewed July 30, 2013 for a stay in July 2013

Hello, i stayed here for only one night. The house is beautiful and very quiet. the owner is very welcoming and helpful with any issues. It's a perfect place for the families because there is also a hobby room with a pool table.
Also there is a fantastic view from veranda on the sligo bay.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: very quiet and panoramic
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Tyler H
Chicago, Illinois
“Herdsman's House - A Magical Stay in a Mythical Place”
Reviewed November 25, 2012 for a stay in November 2012
person found this review helpful

Herdsman's House was host to a time which my family and I will never forget.

The house is located in what I think to be one of the most magical places on earth - the Northwest of Ireland. I've had the good fortune of visiting, studying, and living in many areas of the world (elsewhere in Ireland, Spain, Germany, Israel/Palestine, Mexico, etc...), and nowhere else have I felt more at home than Herdsman's House just outside of Sligo.

The house is rented by one of the kindest, most open families I've had the true pleasure of knowing - the Carways. Mary and Desmond, and their two lovely children. The house itself imbues an immediate sense of comfort and welcome, located directly in front of the bay and sea which Keats immortalized in his transcendent poetry. Within a few few paces distance of the house is a pagan "Fairy Mound" which hosts spirits of the pagan times and serves as a wonderful pedestal to music one might play from it's peak, to the immediate west is an ancient castle which Desmond once helped to restore, and to it's north are rolling fields host to sheep and a people rooted in time and place beyond the hub bub of today and tomorrow. The house is in an ideal location as a centre of travel, with a plethora of historical and picturesque sites within a short drive along the winding roads which seem to loop one out of the hum drum, and the wired and wireless world. World class cuisine, surfing, horseback riding, and adventure of all sorts are within a stone's throw from the front porch, though I most enjoyed my time sitting with a guitar or a book on the sun porch, peat on the old fireplace, and the roar of the sea in my ear.

I cannot endorse enough one's stay at this place - I hope you have the blessing of staying here, and getting to know if only for a brief time the Irish of the countryside of Northwest Ireland. I studied in Dublin while in College, and had thought I knew Ireland - I had only had a wondeful introduction then. I got to know, and had imprinted on my mind and memory the soul of the wonderful people of this country in the week I was at Herdsman's House - and I will return there in the years to come. I welcome any reccomendation you might seek, and endorse wholly a stay at this place.

As I fear my post has been too metaphorical, a few hard facts:

the house is in pristine condition, and we arrived to it in a state of wonder at it's cleanliness. I only wish my house looked like it half the time.

The house is convenitently located close to any attraction one could want, and Desmond is only happy to help you make the arrangements for any experience you might want - we went horseback riding, fishing, hiking along the magestic bluffs, etc....

Especially close to the house is yeat's grave, Queen Meave's grave and Knocknemareah, a host of pagan sites, seaports, a sprint to Sligo a beautiful old city with pubs, bakeries, shops, restaurants, charter fishing, restaurants galore

The house has four spacious bedrooms, a living room with a peat fireplace (I'll never forget that smell), a large fully equipped kitchen, a lovely sun room overlooking the bay, a separate gameroom with pool (snooker), air hockey, a shower, etc....

Views in every direction, which never ceased to take my breath from me

The thing which I think is most invaluable to this home are it's renters, the Carways. They are a beautiful family which I think the world of (as my ending in a preposition suggests). They are people with a sense of honor, kindness, and openness to the world and connection that I rarely find. Please feel free to contact me directly for a reccomendation, I am in Chicago and my email is tylerhahn3@gmail.com I will provide my phone number if you'd prefer to talk by phone, just shoot me an email.

How easy was key pickup/access to the property?
Liked best: The scenery, location, and the renters the Carways
Liked least: I liked nothing least, as I liked everything
Your age range 25-34
Large groups
kathyinba...
Dublin, Ireland
“Magic Place - Magic People”
Reviewed September 30, 2012 for a stay in September 2012

We came to the Herdsmans house for one week with our 2 year old son. It was the perfect place for our get away from Dublin. The house itself is perfect, comfortable and has everything you might need (including a lobster cracker - proved to be essential kit). Wifi works really well. The views from the house are what sold it to me and you can sit and enjoy them from the sun room at the front of the house, which becomes balmy in the afternoon sun. The area itself is stunning, there is so much to see and do - surfing, golf, horseriding, walking. There are some nice restaurants nearby for easy-going relaxed meals in the evening - you must try the burger in Langs in Grange. A special mention should go to our hosts, the Carways, who go above and beyond to make your stay special. They will answer any questions you have and go out of their way to help - its that old Irish hospitality that people keep saying has disappeared, but its still alive and well in Raghly.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Getting all the local knowledge and info from Des.
Liked least: Nothing.
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Large groups
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012 for a stay in September 2012

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the view of sligo bay
Liked least: being charged for gas on top of the rent
Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
Nov 10, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding our friendliness and helpfulness. We are sorry that the available bicycles did not meet your needs. It is regrettable that a lot of time was spent trying to have your car repaired and missed some opportunities for a boat trip. Unfortunately we have to charge for heating oil, as is outlined on our website. On guests' arrival, we explain the radiator controls, time clock and read the oil meter. Everyone's need for heat varies. If the heat is on day and night, some people might consider it expensive. Thank you for staying with us and your kind comments.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
$117
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your vacation rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing