“Charming, pretty old world hotel.”

The Station House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kilmessan
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Myself and six friends stayed in the hotel on Satruday night 26th November. This hotel is very pretty and charming and excellent use is made of the original features such as stone walls but has modern features added such as luxury carpets, curtains, lighting etc to make it more cosy. The bar is very warm, welcoming and cosy with very friendly staff. On Saturday night a lady was signing whilst accompanying herself on piane which was very nice. We had afternoon tea in the bar which was of a really high standard.
We attended a cookery demonstration by Paulo Tuillio in the function room at 6.30pm which was very well attended and was excellent. Afterwards we had our evening meal in the function room and whilst the food was nice the ambience wasn't great as there were still chairs laid out in front of us from the cookery demonstration.
As the hotel was full we were placed in the overflow house in an estate within walking distance of the hotel. Whilst this suited a group of seven as we had the house to ourselves I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be in the house if I was on a romantic weekend with my husband. The rooms are very small and practical but the house itself is warm and clean.
We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The grounds are so pretty and there is a photo opportunity around every corner. The hotel itself is beautifully decorated for Christmas.
All in all we had a pleasant experience which was very good value for money and we will probably return in the future.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed in the main hotel as the overflow houses are not as good as the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Management-StationHH, Front Office Manager at The Station House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2011

Hello. Thank you so much for all of your kind words about our hotel. I am so happy that you enjoyed our warm and welcoming ambiance and our evening entertainment. Thank you for informing me that you did not enjoy the layout for the Paolo Tullio experience and I will mentiuon that to our Function Manager so we can find a more appealing set up for future events as we have many more cookery demonstations coming up in the new year. I will pass on all of your positive comments to the head chef and management regarding the friendly service and we all look forward to seeing you again at the Station House Hotel. Aoife

There are newer reviews for The Station House Hotel

Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed here on a Saturday night on a Boards Deal. Firstly when I phoned to make a booking I didn't find the reservations staff very helpful. Curt bordering on rude would be a good description.
Check in on the day we were staying wasn't much better. There were two members of staff handling checks in, as there was four or five couples checking in at the same time. There was no greeting, just asked for our voucher and given our room key. I had to ask where our room actually was because I wasn't told.
We had afternoon tea included in our deal and we were given no information about that or breakfast. We went to our room which was over the function room. The room itself was cramped but clean so I was happy. Bathroom could have done with a good scrub of bleach. A lot of lime scale and the shower curtain was filthy.
We made our way to the bar to enquire about our afternoon tea and was surprised at how nice it was. We had sandwiches, scones and cakes. Tea and coffee. We didn't eat in the restaurant but had a couple of drinks in the bar that night. It was busy and had a good atmosphere. There was a lady playing the piano and singing which was really nice to listen to.
Breakfast the next day was fine. A good selection of hot foods which was replenished frequently. I thought there could have been a slightly better selection of breads, muffins or maybe some sort of pastries. There was only one type of brown bread in a small basket which ran out and wasn't replenished. Staff at the breakfast was very nice and pleasant.
We had a late checkout included in our deal but as we were never told what time late checkout was at time of check in and there was no staff at reception after breakfast we presumed check out was 1 o'clock.
There was a knock on the door at 12:45 asking us to vacate the room and then a 12:55 a phone call from reception. When I went to leave the key back a got a curt nod with no smile or thank you or we hope you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again. Nothing.

I feel this hotel could be so much better.
It has all the potential but just seems that there is no effort to make the hotel better. The staff seem a little tired and disinterested. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and has some lovely features yet again there is room for improvement. Maybe some history on the station itself, the original platform etc.

I would return to The Station House Hotel to give it another try in the future but would be disappointed if there was no improvement on some things.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main hotel not over the function room as if there is a function on it would be...
2  Thank Edel O
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We stayed here last night, got a very good deal on board deals. We arrived and got a spot of lunch in the bar with the intention of settling in for an afternoon of football, but they don't have any football channels here! In the hour we were there, the same song was playing on repeat. (who's gonna drive you home, tonight) While the staff were pleasant and the bar so cosy i did find there was little privacy as it was so quiet I felt I had to talk very low! The 5 min walk to maguires pub is well worth it!
Dinner was hit and miss. The soup was mushroom and port and apologies to the chef but it really was horrible. My partner remarked it tasted like cigarettes! My starter was supposed to be creamy risotto but unfortunately it was hard, congealed and dry. The main course lamb was lovely but the supplement was a bit steep. we didn't try dessert. I found it very disappointing especially on the day paulo tullio was demonstrating in the cookery school.
We went back to maguires after dinner for the night, I couldn't sit in that hotel bar all night.
The room really was the worst. Very outdated. I dont mind a cramped room but there is no excuse for shabbiness. the bed was rock hard and dont expect a lie on, I think our room was near the boiler or tank as all morning the noise from it was terrible. The room smelt stale and the corridor like cabbage. The bathroom had a walk in shower with a grotty shower curtain. I refused to use it. Small things like loose handles and taps and cheap toilet roll should not happen in a hotel.
Breakfast was ok, cold and the rashers were rock hard.
I had expected great things as it is such a popular wedding venue and I can see why, it's so quaint and cosy but I would never expect my guests to stay there no matter how good the reputation of the venue.
A few good points but not enough
to make me want to return. Disappointing.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Trudyradford
Reviewed November 26, 2011

We attended a wedding here. The rooms are terrible, they are very small as this is clearly not designed as a hotel. The rooms are far too small and the fact that most of the ceiling was at an angle almost brought on seasickness. I couldn't fault the staff as any interaction was courteous and professional but the overall experience was unsatisfactory. The most unsatisfactory aspect was the charge of 130e per night, extortionate for an adapted hotel with no facilities. I would not recommend this hotel unless its an absolute must, if I was to attend another wedding in this venue I would book elsewhere. If you are thinking of staying here think again.

1  Thank Globeor
Reviewed November 26, 2011

very good hotel. excellent restraunt, late checkout at weekend 1.30pm, staff excellent. old world charm. approx 20 miles west of dublin. price of a pint of guinness 4.30 expensive enough,. considering the village of kilmessan 300meters away is 3.60! the hotel is a refurbished country house, loveley setting.

Room Tip: room we stayed in wes averae to small.
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Oh dear! It would seem that unless you want what must be the cheapest wedding venue around Dublin don't bother booking in to stay. An old railway station and related buildings may sound nostalgic or even romantic but the reality is somewhat different!
We were 2 couples staying overnight. On arrival, the main house area takes one back to the 1950's, the decor is outdated and scruffy, but perhaps it is the owner' idea of shabby chic.
We are informed that the hotel is very busy and we cannot be accommodated in the main building. Hence one couple is accommodated in the attic area of the function room ( a converted engine shed? ) in a room with no window, just a roof light.The other couple will be "upgraded" to a large room in one of the houses owned by the hotel "just a few minutes outside the main gate".
Anyone wishing to experience first hand the Irish attitude of "Shure, dat'll do fine!"should book into House16 room 5. Open the front door to the aroma of stale tobacco smoke, unlock the door to room 5 to find a dirty carpet and an interior designed with a car boot sale in mind, complete with typical grime and dust, however, you would know that the ceiling light shades ( which were fitted upside down ) were new at some stage, because the plastic wrapping and price tag were still in place!
I could go on about the wardrobe door which could not be opened because it was blocked by the bedside cabinet and the dirty appearance of the wet room en suite, but I will save my final remarks for the bar food which was an expensive mistake ( E14.95 for not fresh fish & chips )
In conclusion, this place seems to to have a name for wedding receptions, but I would do a thorough "mystery shopper" check first!

Room Tip: No experience of the main building but refuse alternative accommodation.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Colmbus
Reviewed November 25, 2011

I recently went for dinner and was very impressed at the service and the ambience of the place. The menu is diverse and the food reflects seasonal produce to a high culinary standard.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Hello. Thank you very much for your review and for visiting our Signal Restaurant at the Station House Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your experience and I will pass on your kind words to the head chef and restaurant manager. We look forward to seeing you again. Aoife

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilmessan
Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort
#1 of 4 in Navan
Newgrange Hotel
Newgrange Hotel
#2 of 4 in Navan

Been to The Station House Hotel? Share your experiences!